• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I convert my shorts to pants?

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I convert my shorts to pants? While at it can pleats be added too?

Regards.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes as long as you buy a couple extra large pairs of shorts with the size you want so you're tailor can have the material to work with.

haiguise

Reaction score
You can definitely do this. A lot of the times, shorts are made with a lot of extra material rolled underneath for just this purpose. Take it to your tailor and have him fix it.

BBC

Reaction score
I have all my bespoken board shorts made with 5" buttoning cuffs so I can go straight from the beach to a high class joint.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
..... I can't tell if some of you are being serious or not....
facepalm.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had this done with some J Crew Madras shorts last s/s. A warning: the alteration generally requires "halfing". In tailor-speak, this means taking the inner fabric and unstitching it from the outer fabric (or middle fabric, if your shorts are fully-canvassed). Once unstitched, the inner fabric can be folded down and out, creating the guise of full-length slacks. You must realize that your pants will now be half as thick as before, so this alteration is not recommended for pants you want to wear in wintry climates. My tailor charged $55 for it all in, I believe.

Before going ahead with this, I recommend you measure your femur and tibia. The ratio should be 1:1 or greater, otherwise the pants will be too short.

PM me if you have any other questions about this operation. It is a bit daunting at first but I would say that a year later, it has paid unexpected dividends.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
puzzled.gif
puzzled.gif
puzzled.gif

Is this thread in the vein of "this is not a pipe," men's urinal as art sort of thing?

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Metrostyles. PM sent.
I am thinking of converting a shirt to pants as the sleeves are too long. The only problem per my tailor is that the fused collar may cause chafing. What has been your experience?

Regards.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
Metrostyles. PM sent.
I am thinking of converting a shirt to pants as the sleeves are too long. The only problem per my tailor is that the fused collar may cause chafing. What has been your experience?

Regards.

Honestly this is a lot harder to do than your previous request. I won't say it's impossible (Carl at CEGO has done this for a few particularly difficult customers, as has Kabbaz, but only for preferred clients).

Usually the tailor beings by sewing shut the collar area - this is the crotch of the pant. Like you said, a fused collar can lead to chafing but a craftfully designed crotch will "fold down" the heavier collar at chafe points (inner thighs, usually). That's the easy part!

Obviously the legs are made from the arms. Look I'll be frank with you - unless your arms go down to your midthigh at salute, you will have a hard time making the inseam long enough. If you have a swimmer's body (longer torso, shorter legs) this may be feasible. Remember that sleeves can usually be let out a couple inches so this helps, but it still might be a stretch.

Depending on how you look at it, the worst/best part is that you pretty much have to remove the majority of the shirt body. I say it is potentially the "best part" because you can use the leftover cloth to do anything, really. I've heard of people doing pocket squares from this fabric. One uncorroborated story I've heard as well is that WW Chan actually made a small suit for a client's child out of the father's Alexander McQueen shirt fabric post-transformation into pants. How true or not this is I really cannot say, but it is quite a memorable gift I have to say. Lucky kid.

Anyway, I hope that illustrates how tricky the procedure can be. I don't know prices off the top of my head, but I'd wager it would be anywhere from "hell no I don't do that at my shop" to $85 at the better-known tailors in larger cities.

Hope that helps.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MetroStyles, I appreciate the exceptional pains you took to explain this process. I will take my last dozen Keetwan shirts to Nick Lopez tomorrow.
Kindly accept my heartfelt gratitude and also appreciate the PM response to my queries.
If anyone has other ideas kindly let me know.

Regards.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No you can't unless you are a midget.

You may also convert it to a skirt with the aid of a pair of scissors.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barbarawengere