• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

caffeine

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a pretty good 2-3 16 oz. Cokes + 1 coffee or enegy drink a day habit during grad school, and went cold turkey when I graduated. I was definitely making use of some Tylenol for the first day or two, but then I was fine. I don't think cold turkey is nearly is as bad as people have made it out to be.

The only difference I've noticed is losing a few pounds (that's the 400 calories of sugar) and a more constant energy level through the day. Before, I would get a caffeine rush when I woke up, then crash, then drink more, then feel sluggish, etc. until I finally got tired and went to sleep at 2 AM. Now I'm much more level through the day, and I have to say I prefer it. I think I may sleep a little better on average.

I do miss my Coca-Cola classic with salty foods, though.

terminat

Reaction score
I don't think cold turkey is nearly is as bad as people have made it out to be.
To be fair, I think a lot of it is genetic and thus varies from person to person. People who are prone to getting a bit depressed (as in 'down' not as in clinical or anything lol) tend to suffer especially, since caffeine withdrawal can trigger all that stuff.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
aside from yellowing your teeth, caffeine is also bad for your skin and irritates your stomach and intestines. its diuretic effects also cause fatigue.

in short, the negatives greatly outweigh the benefits. if you are on it, get off it. it's not worth it.

I am too lazy to post links, but... if you google "positive effects of caffeine" there are several reasons to consume coffee or tea each day.

robbie

terminat

Reaction score
I am too lazy to post links, but... if you google "positive effects of caffeine" there are several reasons to consume coffee or tea each day.

robbie
Does this mean you're not giving up the addiction after all?
laugh.gif

jett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by terminat
To be fair, I think a lot of it is genetic and thus varies from person to person. People who are prone to getting a bit depressed (as in 'down' not as in clinical or anything lol) tend to suffer especially, since caffeine withdrawal can trigger all that stuff.

In my experience this is true. I've seen people become really depressed and miserable after a few hours without their caffeine, it seems somewhat rare though. If I don't have any coffee in the morning I'll get a headache for a few hours and then I'm fine, but it only happens about 1/3 of the time for some reason. Interestingly, I consume significantly less caffeine regularly but seem to be MORE prone to the withdrawal symptoms now than I was just a few years ago. Not sure why that has changed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads