• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cafe racer as first bike?

Cavalier

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing my first bike and have always been in love with cafe racers.

I don't necessarily need/want the fanciest most collectible British bike by any means, in fact I've been looking at Japanese bikes from the 70's that fit the similar style (possibly just simple asthetic conversions i.e. handlebars)

I don't know much, and my riding experience is limited. From what I know, cafe racers are nimble and handle well with out being too big and heavy. Is this the truth, and are they decent bikes for beginner?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Look into Royal Enfield. I believe it's made in India and I've seen one in person and they're purdy. Top speed is about 75mph and go for $4k

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Get a CB350. It's reasonably small and handles ok-ish. After all, it's a 70s bike. It certainly doesn't compare to a current 600cc supersport.

Don't get a CB750 or any four-cylinder, as it'll be a bit of a beast for a first bike.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've driven a 350 cc Enfield in India and while it may have been one of the best stretches of 10 days in my life, I would not call the motorcycle a cafe racer. Perhaps a new and export version (500 cc) is a bit faster but I think for that money you can do better second hand. I would be pleased to hear differently from any owner, though.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may be in the minority, but I suggest a new, cafe racer style bike. New bikes are safer and more reliable. The SV650 and Monster are good bikes to learn on and don't have fairings.

Gallardo2501

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
The SV600 and Monster are good bikes to learn on and don't have fairings.

I second the Monster.

Monster's have plenty of low down and mid range torque so you'll have a easy time riding it in town, with out having to rev the hell out of it. I bought a 620i Dark as my girls first bike and she still hasn't laid it, and can keep up with me at highway speeds. She wants to stay with a naked and wants a Speed Triple next, and I'm thinking of keeping the Dark for myself, that's how nice a machine it is.

I wouldn't recommend anything British as a first bike. A good friend of mine got a old Tiger as his second and couldn't even figure out how to start it when he went to test ride it (kick start, he was still a squid, but still!). They are mostly unreliable even if it has a first class restoration and WILL leak like nothing else. When they were built, it was just taken for granted that the own was handy with a spanner.

Honda CB's are great bike's as well, just never really churned my butter. Same with SV'.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gallardo2501
I wouldn't recommend anything British as a first bike. A good friend of mine got a old Tiger as his second and couldn't even figure out how to start it when he went to test ride it (kick start, he was still a squid, but still!). They are mostly unreliable even if it has a first class restoration and WILL leak like nothing else. When they were built, it was just taken for granted that the own was handy with a spanner. Honda CB's are great bike's as well, just never really churned my butter. Same with SV'.
Dunno- my first, second and third bikes were all British- BSA A65, Triumph 650 Bonnie, BSA Gold Star. It did take a while to get used to shift-on- the- left when I rode other bikes though. Yes, they all leaked but I don't recall many reliability problems

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see why you shouldn't get a cafe bike as your first if you like them. Just be sure to pick one that has decent brakes, and be sure it has new/modern tires on it.

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
I may be in the minority, but I suggest a new, cafe racer style bike. New bikes are safer and more reliable. The SV600 and Monster are good bikes to learn on and don't have fairings.

This is definitely good advice.

If you like cafe racers, go for it...just keep in mind those old bikes may need upkeep and parts aren't always plentiful. The smaller ones would make a good starter bike. Keep in mind, that even the 500s and 750s, though small by today's standards, are still really fast & you can get yourself in trouble quickly if you have no riding experience.

justinpba

Reaction score
For a first bike don't buy an old cafe racer. Chances are although you may have a mechanical background (I don't know) the upkeep of an older British bike (nightmare electrical), or even a Japanese bike is going to be more trouble than you want. I know because my first bike is an old Harley and if I didn't have my old man around for help, I'd have probably sold it by now. For the cafe look without the problems go with a new(er) Triumph Thruxton. All the cool without the hassle. If, after a while, you decide you actually do like to ride and want an old bike, by all means get one! Just my 2 cents.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justinpba
For a first bike don't buy an old cafe racer. Chances are although you may have a mechanical background (I don't know) the upkeep of an older British bike (nightmare electrical), or even a Japanese bike is going to be more trouble than you want. I know because my first bike is an old Harley and if I didn't have my old man around for help, I'd have probably sold it by now. For the cafe look without the problems go with a new(er) Triumph Thruxton. All the cool without the hassle. If, after a while, you decide you actually do like to ride and want an old bike, by all means get one! Just my 2 cents.

I was thinking of the same thing, getting a cafe racer as a daily rider. I plan on moving a bit further from work and would need to take small roads so I was thinking of getting a scooter. But I dont think a scooter is as versatile. I wont be able to ride long distances (like to the cottage) without killing myself trying to keep up with cars and trucks on the freeway.

But at the same time, I dont want o be fixing for most of our short riding season....decisions....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads