• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J used pair advice

whoisthis

Reaction score
I'm looking at this used pair. CROCKETT & JONES Albemarle Snuff Suede.
Could please tell me if I should pull the trigger for $170?
I've never bought a used pair before so i wouldn't know if this is a good deal.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heel looks good
Sole
Looks good
Seems like minimal wear

Ask for pic of insoles

Otherwise it's looking good

whoisthis

Reaction score
I will ask for the insole pic.
Meanwhile i have a few questions.
This pair is made for Wildsmith & Co. Could this be the reason why the price is low?
(Looks like from 80s)

Size wise, i usually wear 7.5 on all my shoes but this pair is 7.5E UK which is 8D US.
I would think i'll be ok since i have to lace these up all the way?

thanks

Last edited:

CloudLi

Reaction score
I will ask for the insole pic.
Meanwhile i have a few questions.
This pair is made for Wildsmith & Co. Could this be the reason why the price is low?
(Looks like from 80s)

Size wise, i usually wear 7.5 on all my shoes but this pair is 7.5E UK which is 8D US.
I would think i'll be ok since i have to lace these up all the way?

thanks
No, you will not be okay. The key of buying cloth is never compromise on size or fit. Even if the shoes only cost $30 I would not buy it if size is not right. Half size is a lot for dress shoes.
In addition, CJ UK 7.5 is US8.5, so a full size difference. $170 is not a good price for used CJ as well.

whoisthis

Reaction score
No, you will not be okay. The key of buying cloth is never compromise on size or fit. Even if the shoes only cost $30 I would not buy it if size is not right. Half size is a lot for dress shoes.
In addition, CJ UK 7.5 is US8.5, so a full size difference. $170 is not a good price for used CJ as well.
actually i checked C&J website, it says that UK 7.5 is 8 american. 41.3 Continental.
Also the reason i thought going half size up (as long as C&J doesn't run smaller size) is OK is because
I could wear those normal dressy socks (longer ones). These tend to be a bit thicker then the socks i wear normally (no show socks and thin).
but i get what you mean though

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree that you should not buy shoes that aren't your size even if they are a good price. On the other hand, I would say that $170 for lightly worn C&J shoes isn't a bad price if they are in your size and a style you like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads