• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just won two auctions from the same seller, and the seller didn't quote shipping so I cannot pay for my goods. I won two E. Marinella ties for $10 each.

It might due to the holiday seasons, but he still told me how much it would cost to ship it (it was double the price of what I am used to paying). However, he won't actually send me an invoice through eBay (he doesn't answer my messages).

Does the seller have the option to sell me the items after I won the auction, or is he obliged to sell me the items? I feel like he doesn't want to sell me the items because he didn't expect the ties to go for that low (even though most of his auctions went for the starting price).

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just won two auctions from the same seller, and the seller didn't quote shipping so I cannot pay for my goods. I won two E. Marinella ties for $10 each.

It might due to the holiday seasons, but he still told me how much it would cost to ship it (it was double the price of what I am used to paying). However, he won't actually send me an invoice through eBay (he doesn't answer my messages).

Does the seller have the option to sell me the items after I won the auction, or is he obliged to sell me the items? I feel like he doesn't want to sell me the items because he didn't expect the ties to go for that low (even though most of his auctions went for the starting price).
Yes, the seller is obligated to sell them at the hammer price, unless there was a reserve price set.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the seller is obligated to sell them at the hammer price, unless there was a reserve price set.
There was no reserve price, and eBay is just waiting for my payment. And I have to wait for a shipping quote from the seller.

Guess I'll have to wait another week to see if he sends me an invoice. Not sure what else I am going to do.

RFHansen

Reaction score
@capnwes: Thanks a lot, I have set up some rate tables in my eBay prefs. If nothing else, I can bulk edit my listings and apply the tables that way, I hope.

I do prefer to keep as much of the work in GS as possible, so I gotta figure out this last part:
I have ticked the checkbox in GS, but I don't understand how to tell GS which of my eBay tables to apply. Do I use the 'USPS Priority Mail' drop down menu in your example to match the appropriate table from eBay?
Or does it not matter, because the table overrides the GS shipping fees once the listings are uploaded?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here’s a new one....pretty ridiculous I think.

New buyer. Bought my shirt via BIN on the day he opened his eBay account. Claims he accidentally bought this shirt on eBay while he thought he was on the Hilditch Key website. I find it hard to believe that he didn’t realize he was creating an eBay account to make a purchase.

View attachment 1096922

Um.....no, I don’t think I agree.

View attachment 1096924

Now he claims I sent him the wrong shirt. Because he ordered a 17 on Hilditch & Key.com and got a 15.5 from eBay. Lol

View attachment 1096923

View attachment 1096925

Got a message from the daughter now.
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 12.14.48 PM.png

My response
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 12.15.19 PM.png
Her reply
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 12.15.31 PM.png

Wait.... after all this they still think I am Hilditch & Key?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a message from the daughter now.
View attachment 1098967

My response
View attachment 1098965
Her reply
View attachment 1098964

Wait.... after all this they still think I am Hilditch & Key?
They must think Hilditch and Key have an eBay store or something like that.

I really think you need to spell EVERYTHING out to these people. EVERYTHING, like you would to a 2 year old. Since they're messaging you through eBay, maybe direct them to their items bought page. They obviously have no clue what they are doing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads