• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would avoid the use of "Cigar" in the description. That's a particular color for Alden shell and these shoes are not Cigar, but have obtained a similar color from built up polish, it appears. IMO, it's ok to clarify in the description that the color is #8 but appear closer to Cigar, but I would leave it out of the title.

They look like #8 to me and I'd be surprised if Alden had changed the style numbers in a stock model recently.

I would definitely not use "Cigar" in your listing. You'll likely piss off more people than you attract.

Thanks to you both, good advice!

I don't think the color is because of a build up of polish. I used Saphir Renovateur and cleaned them. They don't have built up polish. After the renovatuer, I didn't use any polish at all, just lots of brushing and elbow grease. I was just reading about the various Horween colors and they said that #8 will darken to a deep brown just with age.

I e-thrifted these for myself and had them restored at B. Nelson. I was hoping that it would tighten up the last a little because they are 11D. Sometimes I can wear 11D in the aberdeen last, but unfortunately for me, they are still just a little too wide (I usually wear 11.5 Narrow (C or sometimes B). So, I am listing them. A resole (including replacing the welt) is not very good economically for resale, but I guess its a lesson learned.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dodged a bullet. I get the feeling that this guy doesn't seem to make a habit of it, but it wasn't a pleasant experience. He's on my block list. Snippet of his last communication before leaving positive/negative feedback.

AlexHold

Reaction score
Gents, I strongly advise you to block this doucherocket. He sent a pair of Tom Ford shoes back to me despite my clearly stated "no returns" policy and then filed a false NAD case on PayPal which was automatically ruled in his favor not based on the merits of his case but on the fact that he provided tracking info on the box he sent back to me. Forced return and I'm out fees etc. Luckily my PayPal agent agreed with my argument and issued me a big credit, but still a huge headache.

Desi Montez

Reaction score
You are better off just accepting returns, no matter how many time you say "no returns" eBay doesn't care. I've learned this the hard way as well. eBay forced my hand into just accepting returns more than once.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hello and thank you for the item. i received it exactly as described, however, when i took the jacked in for alterations, the tailor told me that this is not a genuine brooks brothers suit.

Since your sale line says brooks brothers, I'd just like to know if you have any comment on this?

$32.50 sale :brick:

My draft response...

The suit is a vintage Brooks Brothers suit from around the 1970s. The neck label, internal label, construction, and styling are all consistent with Brooks Brothers suits of that era.

Please see the following resource for further information about Brooks Brothers labeling:
http://thriftygent.com/how-to-thrift-deciphering-brooks-brothers-labels/

What I really want to say...

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND IS GOING TO WASTE TIME FAKING A 1970s BROOKS BROTHERS SUIT?!??

Last edited:

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$32.50 sale :brick:

My draft response...

The suit is a vintage Brooks Brothers suit from around the 1970s. The neck label, internal label, construction, and styling are all consistent with Brooks Brothers suits of that era.

Please see the following resource for further information about Brooks Brothers labeling:
http://thriftygent.com/how-to-thrift-deciphering-brooks-brothers-labels/

What I really want to say...

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND IS GOING TO WASTE TIME FAKING A 1970s BROOKS BROTHERS SUIT?!??

What you should say....
Find another tailor because that ones a fuckin moron

Chotii

Reaction score
Has anyone else gotten negs or neutrals from buyers (without any previous contact), who then fail to reply to any attempt to communicate post-facto? I've had a few of them lately and it's frustrating. They're supposed to contact you before leaving anything but positive, but failing to do that AND refusing to answer afterward - my question is always, how can I make it right for you? - is really bugging me. :(

GetBlatzed

Reaction score
I'm having a difficult time finding info about these Levis. They are LVC, correct? Are these the 1978 model? Indigo dyed redline small e. Thanks for any help.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not LVC.
recent mainline Made In USA collection.
Cone selvedge denim. originally $200 retail.
hope that helps.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LOL... This picture is in the listing. I will be fighting this return tooth and nail.
censored.gif

NewStart

Reaction score
Recently this thread has emerged to be my most favourite thread across SF - very entertaining, and to some extent educating

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads