• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hey guys, reading this thread has been so helpful. i had a question that i was wondering how i should proceed with.

i have an auction and one bidder. that bidder contacted me and asked if he could make an offer to purchase the item. no one else has bidded on the item. would i be allowed to close the auction and perhaps do a buy it now at the agreed price with the buyer or a set price with a best offer, then have the user send me an offer and accept that offer?

just wanted to make sure i stayed within the rules of ebay.
You can do an "end listing - with option to sell to highest bidder" then edit the invoice to the agreed price. This way you won't have to pay two rounds of final value fees.

ScottW

Reaction score
On a suit shipped 3 days ago, tracking says "no such number" and package will be returned to sender due to incorrect address. That was on Dec 9, with no reported tracking activity since. Is this just another example of them screwing up the scan? I can type the guys address into the ship interface and it works fine, and if I google map it I can see the guy's house with the street number visible in the photo on street view, so it's definitely a good address. Anyone ever seen that "no such number" and subsequently had it correctly scanned at delivery? IDK if the box is enroute to the buyer, or on the way back to me, or still sitting at my post office. Shall I pester the USPS in person or just wait it out another day or two?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On a suit shipped 3 days ago, tracking says "no such number" and package will be returned to sender due to incorrect address. That was on Dec 9, with no reported tracking activity since. Is this just another example of them screwing up the scan? I can type the guys address into the ship interface and it works fine, and if I google map it I can see the guy's house with the street number visible in the photo on street view, so it's definitely a good address. Anyone ever seen that "no such number" and subsequently had it correctly scanned at delivery? IDK if the box is enroute to the buyer, or on the way back to me, or still sitting at my post office. Shall I pester the USPS in person or just wait it out another day or two?
I'd wait. I had a "RTS no longer lives here" a couple weeks ago after a buyer forgot to change his address. I go the suit back, but it took a week longer than it should have, and didn't track well along the way.

gerbilunit

Reaction score
You can do an "end listing - with option to sell to highest bidder" then edit the invoice to the agreed price. This way you won't have to pay two rounds of final value fees.
awesome, thanks capn!

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I shot him a message first saying I'm unable to send the item as he requested. Hopefully he'll be okay with it but I offered a cancellation if he has any reservations. Seems like the best course. Good thing to know eBay has my back, though.

Brokerage on $90 shouldn't be that much.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So the tracking on that package yesterday finally updated. 10 days of nothing, but now shows in buyer's state :)

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the tracking on that package yesterday finally updated. 10 days of nothing, but now shows in buyer's state
smile.gif
Had a similar slow tracking issue...buyer opened case after 9 days of no delivery (first class) for a dress shirt. Finally updated yesterday and was delivered...but still seems within normal range time for first class delivery for domestic shipping.

All is good

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I shot him a message first saying I'm unable to send the item as he requested. Hopefully he'll be okay with it but I offered a cancellation if he has any reservations. Seems like the best course. Good thing to know eBay has my back, though.

I tell buyers that when I print international labels in eBay, it automatically fills in the values and won't let me adjust it. Basically I play the dumb good cop and make eBay out to be the bad cop. Haven't had anyone ask in a while, but has shut 'em up in the past.

Block user ....

Did not pay for item....twice. No communication after multiple attempts...

One favorite thing about having a store now is the "block bidder" option being right in front of my nose, instead of having to hunt around for it.

'tis the season, so I bought my mannequin a new tie. Tired of the old purple one, he asked for something more festive for the holidays but could be worn year-round as well. He was so excited he insisted I take a photo and post it, so here ya go.

He's so proud, standing up straight, chest out, shoulders back. He just stands there all day, like his father did before him, and his before him.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, if you have a halfway decent career, its a huge mistake to quit a full time gig to sell on eBay...

Benefits, thrift shops getting sharper with pricing, if you want to go back to working in a reasonable career then the big empty spot on your resume invites questions, and finally the fact that it is quite easy to do eBay as a side business...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running your own business is no hole in the resume... If you do it right, that is!

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, if you have a halfway decent career, its a huge mistake to quit a full time gig to sell on eBay...

Benefits, thrift shops getting sharper with pricing, if you want to go back to working in a reasonable career then the big empty spot on your resume invites questions, and finally the fact that it is quite easy to do eBay as a side business...

I understand from the surface it looks skeptical, but with other factors at hand, it is a very good decision. I could break down my pros cons and everything in between, but really was doing this shoutout as a way to gain some encouragement from the community that has given me this opportunity at hand. Its a way to show others that I am taking a leap of faith, I have a family to support, and responsible for others. But I have no doubts I can make it happen with hard work dedication and belief.

Many of the members contributed in more ways then they will ever know. And I am here to give back what I can, because the Mansion of SF and the west wing of Thrift/Flip threads have given me the chance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads