• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Russia. I just make a point to add a note that says spacebo in Cyrillic script...

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe there's a certain percentage of the people on Ebay who are just assholes.

I am going through something similar with someone with 35 feedback. He made an offer on a wheelset (for a road bicycle), I countered, he accepted. Sent me a message asking if he coulld pay by phone with a credit card as he didn't have a PayPal account (I'm not sure why you would have an Ebay account and no PayPal account), I responded that others had been able to pay through PayPal without an account. Nothing since then.

He's fairly local, so I asked if he wanted to meet and pay in cash. No response. I opened case. No response. Meanwhile, I can't sell the wheelset until the case is closed...

Asshat...
eBay won't let you re-list? I relist unpaid stuff when I have a hunch it's not going to get paid for, never had to cancel a relist because a payment came in at the last minute.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just received my first neutral feedback...

Quote:
This asshat didn't even bother to contact me to indicate that he was unhappy. I offer returns with no questions asked. What the fudge is wrong with people??

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh no. What do I do now?

I've just had a case opened where the guy says the suit I sold him is a fake. Obviously it is not. How can I prove this to ebay, or will they even give me a chance to do so?

"This suit is clearly a counterfeit -- most likely from China. I would like to return the suit for a full refund. I have taken photographs of a real Brooks Brothers suit I own next to the one I received from the seller and would be happy to submit these as evidence clearly showing that the purchased item is not a Brooks Brothers suit, let alone a Golden Fleece suit as advertised. It looks to be a Chinese knock-off. I hope this can be resolved quickly and in a friendly manner."

The Suit....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=301013841399

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Labels. This guy probably has a GF suit with different labels.

The Chinese are counterfeiting 20 year old Golden Fleece suits? Who knew?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just received my first neutral feedback...

This asshat didn't even bother to contact me to indicate that he was unhappy. I offer returns with no questions asked. What the fudge is wrong with people??

He is a member of what I call "the ebay 1 to 2%".

freshnewbeats

Reaction score

Oh no. What do I do now?

I've just had a case opened where the guy says the suit I sold him is a fake. Obviously it is not. How can I prove this to ebay, or will they even give me a chance to do so?

"This suit is clearly a counterfeit -- most likely from China. I would like to return the suit for a full refund. I have taken photographs of a real Brooks Brothers suit I own next to the one I received from the seller and would be happy to submit these as evidence clearly showing that the purchased item is not a Brooks Brothers suit, let alone a Golden Fleece suit as advertised. It looks to be a Chinese knock-off.

Look at it this way: the guy has convinced himself it's a fake. That or he's looking for a reason to return and the fake story both is convenient and conveniently hard to disprove from eBays perspective.

You could spend a lot of time and effort trying to convince him otherwise (probably by focusing on labelling history and indicators of quality construction that simply aren't economical to counterfeit) - but that's not going to change his basic dissatisfaction with the garment, and even if you get the upper hand on this item he's unlikely to buy from you again if you fight him.

On the other hand you had decent activity on the suit and it doesn't seem like you'd have much trouble selling it to someone else for a similar price. Taking a no-hassle return here (while being firm about the suit being real as per the above indicators) gives you an opportunity to keep his future business. On a guy who was happy to spend a couple hundred without handling the garment, I'd say eating the shipping isn't the worst outcome if you have a chance at his future dollars.

The other upside about taking the return is that you're avoiding any possibility of a public dispute about authenticity, which could be damaging to overall sales, and not just this one.

I know it's a pain ********** to let these dummies return, but I think if you're in it for the long game (as you definitely appear to be) it's potentially worth the trouble in cases like this.

Just my 2 cents :)

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks brothers is oh so common. I doubt you will lose an eBay dispute over it...those suits with those labels sell every freakin week.

Try and research or call ebay first to find out the step by step process in which the dispute would take place, then assess the situation to see if u can win.

CharlesStreet

Reaction score
@capnwes

At least the guy wants to return the suit. Good thing you have photographic proof just in case he tries to be sneaky.

The bad thing about this case is that Ebay can terminate your account if it happens again.

Even if you try to convince the buyer it might not get resolved since they opened a case against you.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh no. What do I do now?

"This suit is clearly a counterfeit -- most likely from China. I would like to return the suit for a full refund. I have taken photographs of a real Brooks Brothers suit I own next to the one I received from the seller and would be happy to submit these as evidence clearly showing that the purchased item is not a Brooks Brothers suit, let alone a Golden Fleece suit as advertised. It looks to be a Chinese knock-off. I hope this can be resolved quickly and in a friendly manner."

The Suit....

Not sure how it is now but buyer may have to prove it's fake, and photos alone don't do enough. He can't win if he doesn't prove it's fake and I think they usually require a letter with letterhead from Brooks Brothers

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh no. What do I do now?

The Suit....

I can empathize, although I rarely sell on eBay. My aggravating story:

I sold a RLPL shirt to some yahoo, brand new with tags, purchased personally by me on sale at retail, two months ago. I had to open a non-payment case, as the guy didn't pay for days. Nothing in his feedback indicated any prior issues. I shipped the shirt on time, as agreed, and it was delivered a couple of days after finally receiving payment (last day of the non-payment case window). I never received any feedback from the buyer, but didn't think anything of it.

A couple of weeks ago and without any contact from the buyer, I get an e-mail from PayPal about a "not as described" claim - outside of PayPal's claim window. Without allowing a response, PayPal just immediately decided: (1) it was ok he made the claim outside of the prescribed time period; and (2) he was entitled to a refund upon return of the shirt to me. I then provided a lengthy, detailed written response (complete with exhibits) to PayPal, notwithstanding the fact PayPal just arbitrarily decided in the buyer's favor. As far as I knew at that point, the buyer simply had buyer's remorse (no details about the "not as described" claim were provided).

I get the shirt today...and all of the tags and manufacturer's pins, collar tabs and forms have been removed. Super.

So, then I call PayPal and explain (as in my written submission) that the buyer had the shirt for nearly two (2) months before making a claim, that the claim was outside of PayPal's time period, it was a clear case of buyer's remorse, that the shirt wasn't returned to me in the condition in which it was sold, and, incredibly, that I was never informed (even in the dispute resolution information) what the buyer's actual "not as described" claim was.

So, I go round one with the not helpful PayPal clerk, who could care less about anything I have to say. Instead, he simply refunds the buyer immediately upon confirming that I had the shirt back. However, he did finally tell me the buyer claimed the shirt (again, purchased at retail and I know my RLPL) is "fake." Again, clearly buyer's remorse. So, I escalated to a supervisor, explained the issues, referred her to my written submission and she said - "oh, yeah, this looks like a suspicious claim, especially given your history with us and the elapsed time between the purchase and claim." She agreed to credit the refund back to my PayPal account. Hopefully this scammer doesn't take it any further.

This is for my one, measly item I really didn't profit from. I can't imagine how you serious sellers can tolerate these buyers and PayPal's nonsense policies and procedures - especially when they don't abide by them themselves.

- RD

ScottW

Reaction score
Screw that guy's future business; he's the kind of hassle nobody needs. Don't forget there were multiple other buyers willing to pay within (what's the bid increment in that price range? $2.50? $5?) a few dollars of what he was. He thinks it's fake based on the labels? ******. They're the same labels that were in the listing pics. If he was expecting to see newer GF labels (you know, the "genuine" kind, cough cough) then how could it NOT have occurred to him that there were no pics of labels resembling the newer style in the listing? My guess is it doesn't fit him because doesn't know his own size and/or can't read, is using wes as a virtual fitting room, and is trying to make up some BS reason to return it and dodge the restocking fee.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrendavid777