• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marc roberto

Reaction score
I'm really liking my tie photo layout. I think I have been doing better than usual because of this. Many thanks to all those of you here that I learned from! If any of you pros have some more tips on my pics, I would love to hear it.
Brioni

Isaia 7-fold

Tom Ford

Stefano Ricci Luxury label

Brioni

Charvet

Kiton 7-fold

Gucci

JabbaTheSlut

Reaction score
My only advice for the ties is to change the background to something solid. White, black, or a dark wood would really make those look great.

ScottW

Reaction score
Just sold my first pair of shoes on the bay, not an insane sale but it's money. Until now I've allowed international shipping while assuming the high cost would dissuade most, and wouldn't you know it, my first shoe sale gets BIN'ed by a buyer overseas. Vintage Hanover longwings, size 8.5 narrow so you can guess where they're going. Hell, I have to practically "guess" as the address is barely intelligible to me, but it qualifies for seller protection and the guy has 100% feedback so I probably don't need to be nervous, but I am.

Last edited:

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just sold my first pair of shoes on the bay, not an insane sale but it's money. Until now I've allowed international shipping while assuming the high cost would dissuade most, and wouldn't you know it, my first shoe sale gets BIN'ed by a buyer overseas. Vintage Hanover longwings, size 8.5 narrow so you can guess where they're going. Hell, I have to practically "guess" as the address is barely intelligible to me, but it qualifies for seller protection and the guy has 100% feedback so I probably don't need to be nervous, but I am.

Nice!
Same here. Just sold my first and it was Allen Edmonds. Unfortunately it was a buyer in Italy and apperantly it's not legal to ship shoes over there :(

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ain't it the truth. I have friends who live in Brooklyn & Manhattan and every day they are out to make a buck, any way they can, without screwing anyone over.

That seems to be your thing and you do well with it - REI and Patagonia and outdoor stuff - will have to tap you if I think I might have something. I always pick up Erewhon stuff as they had a store in my old hometown (Madison) and I almost never see it - I just like it - might not be desirable - no idea.

True... The ten sales I've been to this year make up nearly half of the monetary value of my Ebay sales this year, but only about 40% of the profit. I'm still trying to diversify, because those sales (REI ones at least) take up a lot of time on the weekends. I'm trying to make this a proper 40 hour "job" where I can work whichever hours during the day I feel like, so spending 4+ hours on a Saturday morning isn't going to cut it much longer. Patagonia sales are quick, Thursday morning things, so they'll stay in the rotation as long as their worth my while. And I'm sure I'll still go to the REI sales, because they're still good to me.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is it worth the time to knot ties? Pictures look better, sure. But you're adding and extra 2.7 seconds. Really marginal, yeah, but I don't see clothing websites showing knotted and I wonder. 

FTFY :)

edit - clothing always sells better when someone can envision how it looks like on. Even if it will look like **** on them, show them how it should be done.

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

FTFY :)

edit - clothing always sells better when someone can envision how it looks like on. Even if it will look like **** on them, show them how it should be done.

Entirely true. I had a customer send me a really nice email that the jacket he bought was exactly like the photos. He did joke that it looked better on the mannequin naturally, the mannequin has the ideal body shape.

The same concept is used in selling a house. Get the potential buyer to imagine their stuff inside. Sure, their stuff won't look as great in real life as it does in their head, but that's not really the point.

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I assume you're going to Japan as most of my narrow width shoes have, I wouldn't be concerned, I've made at least 15 shipments over there in the past couple months, all have gone great, all have left great feedback and 4-5 have returned for another purchase. They seem to be a little more willing to pay for a good product to and I've had multiple BINOBO listings just get bought without making an offer.

fastfiat81

Reaction score

I assume you're going to Japan as most of my narrow width shoes have, I wouldn't be concerned, I've made at least 15 shipments over there in the past couple months, all have gone great, all have left great feedback and 4-5 have returned for another purchase.  They seem to be a little more willing to pay for a good product to and I've had multiple BINOBO listings just get bought without making an offer.

Are you shipping International Express by chance? From what I can gather on the USPS website it is the only option that has insurance and tracking to Japan. Priority and First class don't have tracking. I think... :)

I have a buyer who wants me to ship something first class international. Which I think is out of the question since I won't be covered.

Last edited:

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you shipping International Express by chance? From what I can gather on the USPS website it is the only option that has insurance and tracking to Japan. Priority and First class don't have tracking. I think...
smile.gif

I have a buyer who wants me to ship something first class international. Which I think is out of the question since I won't be covered.
I've done Priority with insurance, it will show it leaving your post office, going to Chicago, then you'll get a customs clearance in Japan, and a couple days later a "delivered". Have no issues...I wouldn't go with First Class unless you have dealt with the person, I had one buyer that I had made 2 different large shipments and then we did first class for one small shipment without any problems.

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me decipher this? Is this guy unhappy? Should I offer a refund?...it sounds like he is happy then unhappy or maybe ok???

I received the vest the other day and was extremely surprised by it's "like new" condition because the add described it as Vintage.

You described this vest as being "down" yet nowhere on any of the labeling is that mentioned. I was also very surprised to see washing instructions on the inside pocket. I have several pieces of other down clothing and none of them offer washing instructions but all do mention that cleaning should be done by a professional. This is not a down product.

fastfiat81

Reaction score

I've done Priority with insurance, it will show it leaving your post office, going to Chicago, then you'll get a customs clearance in Japan, and a couple days later a "delivered".  Have no issues...I wouldn't go with First Class unless you have dealt with the person, I had one buyer that I had made 2 different large shipments and then we did first class for one small shipment without any problems.

Thanks Tweets. Most appreciated!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads