• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

noob question: Where do you guys find your dress form/mannequin? did you thrift them? any recommendation or pointers would sure be helpful. Thanks in advance!
Yeah, Google store fixtures in your town. You'll find someone who sells them. Also, if you search the thread, you'll find where some have bought them on eBay or Amazon. Look up "male mannequin bust".

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoo I like your idea of giving a huge basket to your local post office. Unfortunately I do not do enough business in person to warrant that gratitude. Although I do normally have about 2-3 packages a day picked up from my porch. I like the idea of a local bakery Wes. So far my gifts have really just been Starbucks gift cards, which I think is a good deal since we have so damn many of them on every corner.

EDIT: Oh, do you deduct those gifts as a business expense
lol8[1].gif

Last edited:

masaccio

Reaction score

Soooo... those PRL's that are not marked as made by Corneliani or made in Italy, how do you authenticate them?

Sorry, I was unclear. The auctions didn't make any mention of Italy or Corneliani, so they were both buried among all of the other PRL made in the Dominican Republic and other places.

Both auctions did include pretty good pics of the labels, so you could see the "Made in Italy" label and in one case you could see the manufacturer's label, which clearly indicated Corneliani based on comparisons in the label thread.

As a buyer it's a great thing, but for seller's it's a reminder that keywords and a bit of research can make a huge difference. Conservatively, each of those sellers left at least $30 on the table by not highlighting the Made in Italy or Corneliani characteristics.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Spoo I like your idea of giving a huge basket to your local post office.  Unfortunately I do not do enough business in person to warrant that gratitude.  Although I do normally have about 2-3 packages a day picked up from my porch.  I like the idea of a local bakery Wes. So far my gifts have really just been Starbucks gift cards, which I think is a good deal since we have so damn many of them on every corner.

EDIT: Oh, do you deduct those gifts as a business expense 
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

Dude, it's rare anything I do won't be a business expense.

JabbaTheSlut

Reaction score
For those of you that are actually a legit business, what types of things are you actually able to write off? I'm thinking that I need to register this as an official business because to pay taxes and save ****** if I ever got audited, but I'm worried about losing a few grand to taxes and only getting like $100 back in write-offs.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
2nd case decided in the buyers favor and 2nd time after calling ebay they said they made a mistake and would reverse the decision and give me a refund after the item arrives back. To note, when there is a NAD case opened and I feel I am in the right, I always call and speak with an ebay rep to get there opinion and ask them to mark the file. If I get a "well maybe the buyer has a point" I just issue a refund no questions but if I get "I have no clue why they have an issue" I let the case ride out. Both times an appeals rep reviewed the case's and said the buyer should not have received a refund as the items were described.

The second case was for a "HICKEY FREEMAN for Bobby Jones Solid Black Wool Blazer Sport Coat Jacket US 40 R". The buyer complained that there was no "hickey freeman" label as they were giving the item as a 'gift' and needed the label... whatever the case the org ebay rep who decided in the buyers favor decided the 'title was confusing' but the appeals rep said it was not confusing and that obviously the Bobby Jones label was show in the listing and the tailoring was done by hickey freeman exactly as described and will be refunding any $ and removing any feedback for the item

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
For those of you that are actually a legit business, what types of things are you actually able to write off? I'm thinking that I need to register this as an official business because to pay taxes and save ****** if I ever got audited, but I'm worried about losing a few grand to taxes and only getting like $100 back in write-offs.
I don't have a business set up, but I pay taxes. You should get a 1099 from paypal (if you are not a business it goes under you SSN) and just add it to your income. Keep a list of any expensive and submit that as well to your accountant.... at least that's what I do.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can expense the percentage of your utilities proportionate to the size of your home office/storage in relationship to your home.
Mileage is a big one.
Office supplies (Boxes, bags, tape, labels, printer ink.)
Equipment (printer, laptop, any invnetory or tax software)
Internet service at home and on cell phone.
Cost of goods
Postage
Hotel stays and food for out of town thrifting trips
Ebay/Paypal fees

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

JabbaTheSlut

Reaction score
Holy ****, so basically everything? It sounds like you are probably paying less even with the taxes on the income, than if you just payed everything out of pocket and didn't write it off?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads