• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
matbra-1896

Here is one for you. (UK buyer, if it was US I would just eat the expense and block.) Bought the same shirt (neck, color, fit) with two different sleeve lengths (32 and 35). Opened a not as described return for the 15.5-32 claiming that the chest measurement is 20 inches, not the 22 listed in the description. Here is the good part: He included two pictures of the shirt with a tape measure on it. The shirt measures 20.25 AND he clearly doesn't have it flat.

Ebay CS rep advised me to accept the return and give him my address to ship it back at his expense, in spite of the fact that under the Accept Return option it states that I am responsible for shipping expenses. So we will see how this works out.
Update: I received a form letter from ebay this morning instructing me to pay for the buyer's return shipping.

I called ebay customer service and explained the situation again. The rep told me that I would receive and email acknowledging escalation and that the complaint would be closed in my favor. They are refunding the crooked buyer out of their end. Not ideal IMO because they are allowing a dishonest ebay member to get a free shirt, but at least they took care of me.

Ebay has had their ups and downs with their policies over the 20+ years that I have used them, but they are the only big platform which I find satisfactory.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it still true that if I deny a return request the buyer can’t open a claim for item not received?

Henry S

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to sell an item to someone in the US (I'm a private seller, international shipping), and when I check the eBay invoice, it included an estimated sales tax. However, as far as I know, I'm not suppose to charge the buyer any taxes. Can someone please advise me on how to exempt the buyer from the sales tax? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

vestbash

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to sell an item to someone in the US (I'm a private seller, international shipping), and when I check the eBay invoice, it included an estimated sales tax. However, as far as I know, I'm not suppose to charge the buyer any taxes. Can someone please advise me on how to exempt the buyer from the sales tax? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is no way for you to exempt a buyer from sales tax. It is calculated by ebay per state and federal sales tax laws.

If the buyer has a business reseller license issued from their state, they can submit that to ebay, which would be a legal exemption from the sales tax, but that does not seem applicable to this situation so it is probably not something that I would bring up.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
I actually don't know this so someone correct me, but I assume ebay charges and collects the tax, and remits it to the appropriate state, on your behalf. I can't imagine the seller is dealing with tax collection and remittance.

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing is still true, everything is a mystery, let us know how it goes.
Ain't that the truth anymore with Ebay. Feedback removal has turned into a nightmare and trying to talk to anyone about it is almost impossible. I had one transaction with 6 items, buyer didn't pay, I didn't ship, they left 6 negative feedback. Ebay removed 3 and left 3 and can't tell me why and there's no way to appeal it.

vestbash

Reaction score
Ain't that the truth anymore with Ebay. Feedback removal has turned into a nightmare and trying to talk to anyone about it is almost impossible. I had one transaction with 6 items, buyer didn't pay, I didn't ship, they left 6 negative feedback. Ebay removed 3 and left 3 and can't tell me why and there's no way to appeal it.

I thought a buyer couldn't leave feedback if they didn't pay?

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One for your block list: sagitatarius_im_kingkong

I'm sure it's just a push for a partial refund, but messaged on a pair of Oakleys I sold, asking where the storage bag was (not in photos or mentioned anywhere in listing) and noted "crude" packaging (in bubble wrap and inside a box). Sent a second message saying it was rude not to respond when I hadn't responded to the first in 12 hours.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One for your block list: sagitatarius_im_kingkong

I'm sure it's just a push for a partial refund, but messaged on a pair of Oakleys I sold, asking where the storage bag was (not in photos or mentioned anywhere in listing) and noted "crude" packaging (in bubble wrap and inside a box). Sent a second message saying it was rude not to respond when I hadn't responded to the first in 12 hours.

Crude packaging!! 🙄

I sent something in a diaper box recently and got positive feedback.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, re the 12-hour thing. Common courtesy is 24 hours excluding weekends. Ask him which hours he wants to pay you to work.

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought a buyer couldn't leave feedback if they didn't pay?
Yeah I thought so too, ebay CS tells me that is incorrect that even though they didn't complete the transaction they can still leave feedback describing their experience.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I thought so too, ebay CS tells me that is incorrect that even though they didn't complete the transaction they can still leave feedback describing their experience.

That’s some horseshit right there. In my dealings with eBay going back 20+ years, a buyer always had to complete the transaction in order to leave feedback.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads