• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know that proper photos and presentation can be important for sales in general, so when I came across a little-used studio light set for half the price of new, I jumped at it. I've been wanting a monolight set for a while now, but haven't been able to justify the cost. At this price, it was a no brainer. I already have a flash meter.
I finagled the mannequin a little bit so that the sleeves present a bit better and don't just flop flaccid, and this is what I've come up with. I'm pretty happy with it.
The shirt is a little over-exposed, but that's easily corrected. I don't have much room to work with, so I wasn't able to separate the mannequin from the backdrop. I ended up using a gradient fill in Photoshop. I'll have to see what I can do about that, as it adds too much time to the workflow.
Have you high-numbers guys played with presentation on eBay and do you notice a difference? I imagine you have to be careful how much effort you put into it, as even a little bit of extra time for each item can add up to a lot in total.

Do you photoshop the background too?

Mox C

Reaction score

Do you photoshop the background too?

I'd rather not spend the time, but with the mannequin so close to the backdrop and no third light to eliminate shadows, it doesn't end up looking good. I did an inverse selection of the suit and then a gradient fill of the background (white to very light grey). I'm going to try a different hanging background and see if that works better.

Last edited:

mjt73106

Reaction score
I'd rather not spend the time, but with the mannequin so close to the backdrop and no third light to eliminate shadows, it doesn't end up looking good. I did an inverse selection of the suit and then a gradient fill of the background (white to very light grey). I'm going to try a different hanging background and see if that works better.

Personally I wouldnt spend anymore time on it. Looks better then 99% of the stuff on ebay and IMO the last 1% is not going to sell the suit for anymore money. The fact you have nice lighting, a mannequin, etc is all you need.
+1 that is as good as it gets.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, got my first case opened against me. Dude from Canada bought a Thomas Pink shirt for $20something. I shipped via priority international. Tracking stops at the border. Claims he never received it. Asked where it was. I responded with the information I had (ship date; ship method; border cross date). No further correspondence and he opened the case saying that I said it "might be delayed" -- untrue.

Granted, I should have shipped express international, but that's clearly not something I can control at this point.

So here's my question: Is the negative impact of the case permanent once it's been opened, or can I get the tarnish removed by getting him to close the case? If I can reverse the impact, my inclination is to contact the buyer and offer a 100% refund for rescission of the case. Keep in mind: I never fight returns. What's the point -- especially since Ebay is going to rule against me 90+% of the time? Usually I just get the item back and can then resell it. Totally not worth going 13 rounds with some jokester.

So: Help. How do I get myself out of this jam? 200+ items, and this is now an unfortunate first.

KenRose

Reaction score
Go to Canada Post website and put in the exact same tracking number. You should get more details.
Ken
OK, got my first case opened against me. Dude from Canada bought a Thomas Pink shirt for $20something. I shipped via priority international. Tracking stops at the border. Claims he never received it. Asked where it was. I responded with the information I had (ship date; ship method; border cross date). No further correspondence and he opened the case saying that I said it "might be delayed" -- untrue.
Granted, I should have shipped express international, but that's clearly not something I can control at this point.
So here's my question: Is the negative impact of the case permanent once it's been opened, or can I get the tarnish removed by getting him to close the case? If I can reverse the impact, my inclination is to contact the buyer and offer a 100% refund for rescission of the case. Keep in mind: I never fight returns. What's the point -- especially since Ebay is going to rule against me 90+% of the time? Usually I just get the item back and can then resell it. Totally not worth going 13 rounds with some jokester.
So: Help. How do I get myself out of this jam? 200+ items, and this is now an unfortunate first.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Go to Canada Post website and put in the exact same tracking number. You should get more details.
Ken

No dice. Says it retrieved no information and that tracking is not available for this item.

EDIT: according to one google result, priority IS tracked into Canada EXCEPT for flat rate envelopes and small boxes. On the interwebs so clearly true. Either way, let's assume I have no way of proving the item arrived (and even if I did, my understanding is I will lose the case anyway).

Seems to me I'm destined to lose here, no matter what I do. So I continue to believe that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure: If I just offer him a full refund (puts me out the cost of the item plus shipping -- and I'm sure he HAS the item), can I head off the negative impact of the case? Can't prevent him from dinging me on feedback, but I suppose I can retaliate if he does.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ If you opt to close the case, or if its escalated to ebay decision and they find in your favor, theres no impact on your account.

edit - and you can't retaliate on feedback lol.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ If you opt to close the case, or if its escalated to ebay decision and they find in your favor, theres no impact on your account.
edit - and you can't retaliate on feedback lol.

Phrased inartfully. I know it is against policy to use feedback as a weapon. I meant: If buyer leaves me poor feedback even if I offer a refund, I can always leave bad feedback reflecting that. Or ask Ebay to remove the unwarranted negative feedback.

Edit: "closing the case" would mean granting the refund, right? So basically the same thing I was proposing? And if he dings me on feedback, I can get that removed, right? So as long as I take it on the chin, there should be no further collateral effect, right?

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Phrased inartfully. I know it is against policy to use feedback as a weapon. I meant: If buyer leaves me poor feedback even if I offer a refund, I can always leave bad feedback reflecting that. Or ask Ebay to remove the unwarranted negative feedback.
Edit: "closing the case" would mean granting the refund, right? So basically the same thing I was proposing? And if he dings me on feedback, I can get that removed, right? So as long as I take it on the chin, there should be no further collateral effect, right?

Theres no way they will remove a neg in that circumstance. If he negs you, its gonna stick. And yes, to close the case = offer refund on your own accord.

mjt73106

Reaction score
You should be able to do a full refund to end the case. However, the buyer can still leave negative, neutral or positive feed back. Based upon your previous posts, it sounds like you are ok with a refund. I would send him the refund, and then send him a message stating that if he does receive the item, have him keep it with your complements. Apologize for the ****** tracking that the postal service has. That may be enough to keep any negative feedback off your transaction.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I meant: If buyer leaves me poor feedback even if I offer a refund, I can always leave bad feedback reflecting that.

How do you leave bad feedback for a buyer?

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How do you leave bad feedback for a buyer?

By leaving a positive with bad words in it. Be careful with that though, you'll get one of these :

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may get a buyer who doesn't know what is going on, but a savvy jerkoff buyer will report it to ebay and it will be removed.

From ebay policy:

We don't allow Feedback comments that contain:

Links or scripts
References to eBay or PayPal investigations
Negative statements left for a buyer that conflict with the positive rating

I think the most that a seller can do is leave lukewarm comments. "He paid" "Average buyer" That would stand out in the world of "A++++++++++, 100000 Stars!, BEST EBAYER SINCE JESUS!!!!!!" drivel that passes for buyer feedback.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member