• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the other people who replied to you never worked in retail. Stonewalling or ignoring complaints don't resolve the issue---they exacerbate it, and that's a bad thing, especially when the customer still has power over you (through potential paypal dispute.) Respond and acknowledge the issue, and ask how the buyer would like to resolve the issue. If all he wants a couple dollars refunded, is that solution more valuable than your time fighting a paypal claim? If not, you've lost nothing, and may have given the buyer enough rope to hang himself if he admits anything against his interest that would affect the potential paypal claim. If he wants a full return paid by you, then its a different situation, but at least you know where you stand.
Finally, (and I think many people here often forget this maxim), as Bill S. Preston and 'Ted' Theodore Logan directed, "Be excellent to each other."

Yeah, I only spent 5.5 years of my life working retail, including some in management.

There is absolutely a time and place when it's time to tell the customer off of they are wrong.

I would not worry about a PayPal dispute, as you would still have the option to say that the buyer did not mention the issue in a timely manner.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the other people who replied to you never worked in retail. Stonewalling or ignoring complaints don't resolve the issue---they exacerbate it, and that's a bad thing, especially when the customer still has power over you...

to rebut: caving to this kind of move ***** up the platform and incentivizes sleazy buyers. at what dollar amount do you draw the line anyways?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey all. What is the best way to respond to someone who sent me a message saying the item is not as described. The purchase date was Dec. 26 2016. They say the shirt is a medium even though my measurements and tag size show XL. I also wore the shirt myself for a while and I am a size Xl.

they can't open an eBay case and can't leave feedback as it is past 60 days.

I am going to block them. What is a good professional response?

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

What is the best way to fight it if they go to the PayPal route?

Thanks!!!

ThomGault

Reaction score
Yeah, I only spent 5.5 years of my life working retail, including some in management.

There is absolutely a time and place when it's time to tell the customer off of they are wrong.

I would not worry about a PayPal dispute, as you would still have the option to say that the buyer did not mention the issue in a timely manner.
I agree that at sometimes (read: often) the customer is wrong...but successfully running a business isn't about being right or wrong---its about maximizing profit and minimizing lost time, which can often be achieved through amiable dispute resolution tactics. Personally, I worked in retail for a few years during undergrad and I found that resolving a bad customer service situation actually created some of the best and most loyal customers. If a company can take an adversarial situation and convince the buyer that they're not an enemy, but a co-participant seeking a fair resolution, too, they'll create a loyal customer for life.
I acknowledge your experience with eBay sales and policies. But, looking at the big picture, if the buyer can be satisfied with a compromise and renounces their claim in exchange for an inconsequential amount (this situation isn't a great example, as the total sale is fairly inconsequential anyway), its the better option to choose, even if the buyer is wrong. Its a pure cost-benefit analysis. Or in general, would you always prefer to stick to your principles and tell the customer that they are wrong and risk financial damages? (Serious question.)
Also, your paypal dispute analysis alters the situation. You obviously have more ebay experience than me, so I'll assume you're correct, and will further admit that it would alter my response to the customer to a more hard-line tone.

to rebut: caving to this kind of move ***** up the platform and incentivizes sleazy buyers. at what dollar amount do you draw the line anyways?
Your point is valid, and may encourage negative behavior...but I think that, in general, ebay buyers are fairly honest. Otherwise, there really would be no profit incentive in selling. As a counterpoint to your rebuttal---all unethical behavior, from either sellers or buyers, (as you say) ***** up the platform and incentivizes further unethical behavior. But I guess that's the world in which we live.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the buyer had opened a case within the standard timeframe, I would agree with you. He did not. There's nothing to fight. Block and move on.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, working customer service in a brick and mortar store is not the same as in a virtual space like EBay.

If I had a customer physically in front of me raising hell, there are other issues with dealing with them that are not directly about that customer. Namely, the affect on other customers in the store.

In the 8 months I spent as assistant manager, I only told one customer off, and that was because she called me an asshole.

To expand on this... Let's say you work at Walgreens (which is where I was an ASM), and you have a stated return policy of 30-days (packaging unopened, and with a receipt). Now lets say you have a customer come in with a return request at 32 days, with a receipt. What do you do?

For me, it's all about how they approach the situation.

My employee's first response would be, "I'm sorry, the return window is closed for this transaction, I'm not permitted to accept a return for this."

80%+ (I pulled the percentage out of ******) customers will walk away mildly disappointed, but understanding the situation and that the store employee is supposed to follow posted store policies.

15% of the customers will come up with an excuse to give why they couldn't return the item within 30 days. I would accept the return from most of those people.

The other 5% are the scammers, who will stop at nothing to force the return. Some of them will be even worse, possibly they stole the merchandise and found the receipt and are looking for money. There are a lot of these people out there.

I will also add this: I have denied a fair number of requests from customers on Ebay. I've also worked with a lot of customers to make them happy. Is there a gray area? You bet. Does that include making them happy two months after they received something that was fine? Nope.

My worst experience with a buyer came about 60 days after a customer bought a pair of hiking boots. He claimed that they were falling apart,and that it was my fault for selling a defective product. Well, he'd already left positive (glowing, in fact) feedback. I responded that there was nothing I could do for him since he admitted to using the boots extensively, and his return window (2 weeks at that point in time) was closed. He responded that he had creative ways to get back at me, and that I should watch my back. I got a PO Box the next day.

Last edited:

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SO excited... I just ordered my next generation digital camera.
biggrin.gif

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SO excited... I just ordered my next generation digital camera. :D
I've been considering a new camera myself, but nothing so fancy. I've been mulling the Sony RX-100 model III to replace my model II. It's a long way off the pace, but the newer models would have me just paying for video capability that I won't use. I have a Canon 7D and a shitload of lenses, but I honestly can't be bothered with setting it up. When I get some space I might.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate sellers that list $80 items at $130 BINOBO...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads