• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a Used Car Advice

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for those of you that have gone through the process, please give me some words of wisdom.

specifically, i'd be interested in recommendations on where to purchase the car (carmax, autotrader, just going to the local dealer, etc.).

also, i'd be interested in any caveats or gotchas that i need to lookup for (not getting a lemon, warranties, etc.)

thanks!

-Jeff

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you dont trust the dealer, or dont want to get screwed. Ask them if they dont mind if you have an independent mechanic check the car out prior to completing a deal on a car you're really interested in buying.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
if you dont trust the dealer, or dont want to get screwed. Ask them if they dont mind if you have an independent mechanic check the car out prior to completing a deal on a car you're really interested in buying.

Independent mechanic +1

When I was in Austin, there was even a guy who would come to you & the car. Checking out cars was his business.

Also get the vehicle history from Carfax.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went through the process recently and did well (so far). I strongly recommend buying from someone you know. Ask around. My dad knew a guy who was looking to sell his car and was fanatical about maintaining it. I got it before he ever listed it on autotrader. Besides that:

- Get carfax
- Have a mechanic look at it
- If servicing was done at a dealer they will have records
- Carmax cars are several thousand dollars overpriced, for that I guess you get some peace of mind though I really don't trust them that much

If you are interested in an "enthusiast" car like a BMW, there are forums that have Buying and Selling threads just like here. A lot of times those guys know each other and will give their stamp of approval for cars they know have been taken care of.

micbain

Reaction score
I'd also get an independant body shop to take a look to see if the car has been in a major accident. I got screwed on this one, bought a car from a dealer (with extended warranty so I thought it was alright)...did a carfax but turns out the car was in a major front end collision which wasn't reported...which made the car next to impossible to sell.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from the common sense stuff (look for leaks, rust, etc. Drive it and feel for stiff/slow shifting, wierd noises.....), look up the make of the car's main forum, ie: VW Vortex for AW/Audi, Volvoforums for Volvo, Saabnet for Saabs and so on. Usually there are model sub-sections and most people in there know their car well. At the top of each sub-forum there is usually a sticky that has FAQ and purchasing advice. Each car has it's own things that go wrong, so for each make and model this will vary. For example, 99-'03 Saabs had an engine sludge issue, VWs/Audis have various electrical gremlins and so on. Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads