• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

budget hotels in LA and San F

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have folks looking for low priced and clean hotels in LA and SanF . Any suggestions? This is for late August travel.

mbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Have folks looking for low priced and clean hotels in LA and SanF . Any suggestions? This is for late August travel.

Clarify "low priced"?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
And for LA, you might want to be a bit more specific. LA is a big place without convenient mass transit, so you don't want to end up miles from where you're planning to hang out.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In SF, the Pickwick is quite a bit lower than that and decent, in a great location... at right around that range, the two Kimptons (Palomar... and?) downtown are a safe bet.

sam

Reaction score
I was just in SF and stayed at the Metro Hotel. Cheap, albeit very small rooms, and conveniently located to almost anything cool. It was like $77/night. You can also check out Yelp.com, particularly for SF; it's loaded with solid reviews.

mbc

Reaction score
I have used The Maxwell in SF Union Square and enjoyed my stay there ( http://www.maxwellhotel.com/ ). Believe rates were around $100 - $150/night depending on the particulars (Orbitz usually has better rates).

PITAronin

Reaction score
It's been a few years, but in SF I've stayed at the Beresford, just off Union Square and it was perfectly adequate for my needs.

dapperdude

Reaction score
In SF, I stayed at the Pickwick once. It's small and noisy. Stayed at Club Quarters recently and it was nice. Not sure what the price is b/c the company paid for it, but it was the quietest hotel I've stayed at and in a good location. It seemed like a budget hotel, due to the simple, small rooms, but check it out.

In LA, it's so spread out, I would say it depends on what part of town you need to be in, but downtown has some nice accomodations. Little Tokyo has some nice walkable areas and is not too expensive (check out The New Otani, which has a summer beer garden most nights). Also, everyone should stay at the Westin Bonaventure at least once, to see the recognizable elevators, where famous scenes from In the Line of Fire and other movies (that one with Arnold, the Governator, riding a horse) were filmed.

Also, if you stay downtown, you'll be centrally located, and can take the metro to Hollywood, Pasadena, and Long Beach, and there's even a convenient flyway bus to/from Union Station and LAX.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dapperdude
In SF, I stayed at the Pickwick once. It's small and noisy. Stayed at Club Quarters recently and it was nice. Not sure what the price is b/c the company paid for it, but it was the quietest hotel I've stayed at and in a good location. It seemed like a budget hotel, due to the simple, small rooms, but check it out.

In LA, it's so spread out, I would say it depends on what part of town you need to be in, but downtown has some nice accomodations. Little Tokyo has some nice walkable areas and is not too expensive (check out The New Otani, which has a summer beer garden most nights). Also, everyone should stay at the Westin Bonaventure at least once, to see the recognizable elevators, where famous scenes from In the Line of Fire and other movies (that one with Arnold, the Governator, riding a horse) were filmed.

Also, if you stay downtown, you'll be centrally located, and can take the metro to Hollywood, Pasadena, and Long Beach, and there's even a convenient flyway bus to/from Union Station and LAX.

Unless you really need to be downtown, I don't think you want to stay at the New Otani. The hotel itself is perfectly nice, and during the day Little Tokyo can be nice (it's also close to Chinatown, Olvera Street, Disney Hall, and MOCA.) But many people are not comfortable walking around that part of town at night (as you'd have to do to reach the metro rail), and downtown can be pretty dead at night (although it certainly has its spots if you know where you're going.) Yes, you can take the metro to Hollywood, Pasadena, and Long Beach, but only to central locations in those areas. If you want to go to the beach, to Disneyland, to Beverly Hills, or to many other places, it's useless. If you're driving, the area of downtown where the New Otani is can be kind of a pain for non-Angelenos, as there are lots of one-way streets, etc.

To each his own, but I happen to think the Bonaventure is meh. For buildings downtown, I much prefer the Bradbury Building (beautiful railings and cage elevator, the setting for many noir films), although the outside of the building has been desecrated with horrible street-level Sprint and Subway signage. I'm also a big fan of the Hotel Figueroa -- if you go out by the pool on a sunny day you feel like you've walked into a Raymond Chandler book. Plus, there's quite a bit of cool old WPA architecture in downtown.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've stayed in Grosvenor Suites in Nob Hill, SF. The location is superb, the price is great, and the room is quite large.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thumbs down to the New Otani.

The surrounding blocks are where I take my visiting friends on a tour to see the hood, without actually being in the hood.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member