• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brookscool

BigWillyCapt

Reaction score
I am a casual dresser in the market for a suit that I will wear to some upcoming interviews and then maybe once a year. Brooks Brothers has a sale right now and I was wondering what the opinions were on the BrooksCool fabric right now. It's maybe $150 less than the 100% wool suits. For a guy like me who travels some and has kids the wrinkle/water resistant fabric could be a plus. Can the average guy tell which suit someone (me) is wearing? Planning to drop by the store and try some on but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

Sorry if this has been covered but a quick search didn't bring up anything. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The average guy can't tell the difference between a suit jacket and a blazer, so no, no one will likely know what kind of suit you are wearing.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is a forum full of enthusiasts, so opinions on Brookscool will likely not be kind, and I wouldn't disagree. However, if it suits your lifestyle and fits well then go for it. You might check out other options like SuitSupply.com. Their suits are a comparable price and the quality might even be a little higher than a Brookscool at their lowest price point.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about budget purchases the three key things you should have in mind are:

1. Only buy a garment made of wool, never recycled lemonade bottles
  2. Fit is critical, most people can see an ill-fitting garment even if it is only the trousers being too long
  3. If you want it to last and you suggest that you would, avoid what is fashionable today and stick with classics. There is nothing worse than last year's fashion, people can see that!

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Moved your thread over here @BigWillyCapt . Caustic Man summed it up nicely.

BigWillyCapt

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I realize it's worlds colliding to a certain extent but I didn't want to be the guy who needed a suit and went straight down to MW and bought the first thing. But I'm also not in the position to drop a couple grand either. I've learned a lot reading this forum.

After going to the store today I bought the 1818 Regent. With the sale it ended up at $508. The BrooksCool was advertised as a summer weight suit and although I couldn't tell much difference in the fabric by sight, the feel of the full 1818 was much better. Incidentally the BC had a big "made in Thailand" tag on it as well.

CloudLi

Reaction score
Brookscool are imported light weight full canvassed suits. 1818 are made in USA half canvassed suits. Same value for money, buy what you like.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
With the current Brooks Brothers sale, that is indeed a very good value. Doesn't BB have a sale on shirts now, too?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A proper worsted wool suit will not wrinkle easily; you can test this by twisting the sleeve in both hands, holding for a few seconds and then releasing. It should spring right back. And wool is naturally water resistant (that's the lanolin at work), not that any suit is meant to be a mackintosh. Synthetic materials promising wrinkle-free or water repellency are for people who don't understand clothing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads