• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers' Gatsby Collection

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CG or not, it's bound to be a better film than most of what Hollywood has been churning out lately.

Back to to the topic at hand, has anyone actually purchased the pink suit?

I had tried it, the pattern is nice but I don't like the lightweight 'Italian' fabric.

musicmax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I bought the Gatsby slim-fit OCBD in the same size as I wear in both slim-fit and XSF OCBDs. When I wore it the first time, pre-laundering, it was quite big, especially in the neck. I had it laundered and it now fits fine in both the neck and sleeves. I'm very pleased with the features and the fit. I hope they keep the shirt in the lineup and expand the colors beyond just white.

My experience too, except I machine washed and flat-dried it before wearing to shrink it and soften it up. I've worn it twice in a week-and-a-half. I agree that they have a winner with this model.

Stugotes

Reaction score
FYI, nearly the entire film is computer generated, considering it was entirely shot in Australia. I think only the smaller, less decadent interior are non-CG.

Barf, thanks for the extra warning.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its got a 42 on rotten tomatoes :evolve:

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm a little confused with the fit of these special OCBD shirts with the unlined collar. Is it the same as the normal slim fit? I usually get an ESF in Brooks Brothers, but it sounds these have a different fit then the standard shirts? Was considering one while they are 25% off.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a little confused with the fit of these special OCBD shirts with the unlined collar. Is it the same as the normal slim fit? I usually get an ESF in Brooks Brothers, but it sounds these have a different fit then the standard shirts? Was considering one while they are 25% off.

They're the regular slim fit. I typically wear ESF as well, so I'd prefer it if the unlined collar edition were that fit. But regular slim fit is in the realm of workable for me based on my body type.

Why not order one and if it's bad, return it?

Saigonesque

Reaction score
Just got my Gatsby OCBD in store today, she's an unlined beaut. I personally find the armholes a bit low, but I'm sure I'll live.

Checked out some of the other stuff: all the other shirts they had in store were non-iron (ugh) and insanely expensive. The jackets had some pretty massive shoulder-padding and are as heavy-weight as mentioned before. Nice shoes, but way overpriced for what they are.

Edit: I've just discovered that the OCBD has side gussets identical to Brooks Brothers shirts pre-1950s! I'm surprised at the historical authenticity in this particular shirt, especially when compared to the other crap they've released for this line. I guess they had to find some way to make the SF crowd happy (because I honestly don't see why any average consumer would want this more than their regular option)

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I went to buy some shirts, I tried on one of the "Gatsby" Regatta Blazers. I am 5'6" tall, and usually wear a 40 Short. There weren't any 40 Shorts, so I tried on a 40 Regular. It seemed about the same length as an old time Brooks Brothers 40 Short.

It was also fully lined, and very heavy. It seemed heavier than the entire three piece suit that I was wearing. It was almost like wearing a quilted Barbour coat. The pink linen suit jacket was also very heavy. It wasn't a summer jacket, as are most linen jackets. I don't think anyone would walk around Fairbanks AK in January wearing a pink linen suit, but if you wanted to, you could wearing the pink linen suit.

MisterFu

Reaction score
When I went to buy some shirts, I tried on one of the "Gatsby" Regatta Blazers. I am 5'6" tall, and usually wear a 40 Short. There weren't any 40 Shorts, so I tried on a 40 Regular. It seemed about the same length as an old time Brooks Brothers 40 Short.

It was also fully lined, and very heavy. It seemed heavier than the entire three piece suit that I was wearing. It was almost like wearing a quilted Barbour coat. The pink linen suit jacket was also very heavy. It wasn't a summer jacket, as are most linen jackets. I don't think anyone would walk around Fairbanks AK in January wearing a pink linen suit, but if you wanted to, you could wearing the pink linen suit.

This is a problem with a lot of OTR linen suits nowadays in that they are fully lined, tend to be a heavy linen weave (usually herringbone) and have a layer of internal fusing (the fusing is used to prevent wrinkling and distortions) even when fully canvased. This, IMHO, is because people don't understand that it is normal for linen to wrinkle and be very lightweight (people nowadays equate lightweight with low-quality and wrinkles with needing pressing) so manufacturers have responded with linen suits that are exceedingly overbuilt and heavy. I would assume this would be especially true for the BB Gatsby stuff as they are costume pieces intended for a customer segment that has probably never seen a proper linen suit and wouldn't understand the usual issues with a traditional linen suit.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is a problem with a lot of OTR linen suits nowadays in that they are fully lined, tend to be a heavy linen weave (usually herringbone) and have a layer of internal fusing (the fusing is used to prevent wrinkling and distortions) even when fully canvased. This, IMHO, is because people don't understand that it is normal for linen to wrinkle and be very lightweight (people nowadays equate lightweight with low-quality and wrinkles with needing pressing) so manufacturers have responded with linen suits that are exceedingly overbuilt and heavy. I would assume this would be especially true for the BB Gatsby stuff as they are costume pieces intended for a customer segment that has probably never seen a proper linen suit and wouldn't understand the usual issues with a traditional linen suit.
I agree. I resorted to MTM linen suits because I couldn't find unlined ones OTR. Many that I saw were too heavy for what I wanted.

musicmax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's surprising that they'd heavily line a linen suit when they do a number of seersuckers that are properly unlined/unconstructed such as this Cambridge

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

They're the regular slim fit. I typically wear ESF as well, so I'd prefer it if the unlined collar edition were that fit. But regular slim fit is in the realm of workable for me based on my body type.

Why not order one and if it's bad, return it?

I'm going to try and run over to the store and see how one fits today. Don't have a lot of hopes, but maybe it can work with some tailoring.

My hope is that once this promotion is done they will continue to make this shirt, but in some additional fits and colors.

MisterFu

Reaction score
It's surprising that they'd heavily line a linen suit when they do a number of seersuckers that are properly unlined/unconstructed such as this Cambridge
BB knows that the person buying their traditional seersucker suits and jackets is not the same person buying the pink linen costume suit.

I just stopped by the BB around the corner from my office, the Gatsby linen stuff is very overbuilt. Admittedly, the example I looked at was well put together and will probably last quite a while. That if you tried to wear it to an outdoor cocktail party in August you would probably end up with heatstroke will be lost on those who will actually buy it.

(P.S. Saw the movie - was better than I expected given the reviews.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads