• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brogue purchased: was I misinformed?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
The problem is, they change at a moment's notice. I've seen otherwise 100% feedback sellers go down in a blaze of corruption.

Maybe it is not possible then, I have never used ebay because it all sounds like too much hassle, people seem to post about being burned fairly frequently, and coupled with this, I don't think I will be trying it any time soon.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What boggles my mind is the fact that ebay sellers actually have the audacity to sell crap like this. I honestly would have a hard time brining those to Goodwill (no offense to the OP, he didn't know) let alone sell them as "excellent Fu****g condition."

Its f***ers like that that make ebay the crapshoot that it is (well, most of the time) refund or not. I now have no more faith in mankind. We're all fu***d and going to hell.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by omjk
A part of me does acknowledge that I should be grateful that they have come polished, and been kept in dust bags and shoe trees all their lives.
Just read this and Wow, this line really impresses me, no joke. You are truly a glass half full kind of man, and i commend yoU!
fistbump.gif
Faith in mankind partially restored.

cmeisenzahl

Reaction score
I'd say that estimate was off by an order of magnitude or two, unless they were worn 20 times completely under water, and dried in the sun each time.

omjk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
You are truly a glass half full kind of man, and i commend yoU!
fistbump.gif

I'll have to show this to my girlfriend. She tells me about the value of the glass half full so much that I feel like smashing the whole glass to smithereens sometimes. Worryingly her mantra appears to have permeated me by osmosis. The looking at things cynically part of my psyche has been violated.

well-kept

Reaction score
Our glass is overflowing, guys.

I have seen poverty so extreme that people were walking barefoot on pavement in 100-degree-plus temperatures, unable to afford rubber flip-flops, places where someone would feel blessed beyond dreaming to own a pair of shoes such as those under discussion.

I try never to lose sight of this, that we are all fortunate beyond measure. And in light of current trends, we might one day find ourselves looking back on this moment of abundance with a different perspective.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ what possible relevance does that have to whether or not he was screwed by the person selling the shoes.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
^ what possible relevance does that have to whether or not he was screwed by the person selling the shoes.

None. The relevance is to the observation that the OP sees his glass half-full, which I applaud.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
None. The relevance is to the observation that the OP sees his glass half-full, which I applaud.

Ok, fair enough.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cmeisenzahl
I'd say that estimate was off by an order of magnitude or two, unless they were worn 20 times completely under water, and dried in the sun each time.

crackup[1].gif

Leather man

Reaction score
Sorry to come in on this so late but if my advice is still in time I hope you'll take it. Those shoes are recoverable as long as Church's are willing to repair them -I say this because he's obviously had a local cobbler repair the soles. ( my experience is that Church's are usually more lenient than their information would lead you to believe - ie they state they reserve the right not to repair previously repaired shoes done outside the factory - but be nice and they often will!)

Church's will replace the heel lining, I know I've had it done on three pairs! I know it will cost £85 to recraft them but the uppers look good and I promise they will come back to you in good as new condition - they can work miracles!

By the way the model is not on a 73last but the 81 last and is the famous Church's Burwood.

If you do have them recrafted you'll have a great pair of Church's shoes for less than half what you'd pay for brand new, so see your purchase as a bargain , though you certainily were mislead by the description - they've been worn a lot for many years!

Nexus6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leather man
Sorry to come in on this so late but if my advice is still in time I hope you'll take it. Those shoes are recoverable as long as Church's are willing to repair them -I say this because he's obviously had a local cobbler repair the soles. ( my experience is that Church's are usually more lenient than their information would lead you to believe - ie they state they reserve the right not to repair previously repaired shoes done outside the factory - but be nice and they often will!)

Church's will replace the heel lining, I know I've had it done on three pairs! I know it will cost £85 to recraft them but the uppers look good and I promise they will come back to you in good as new condition - they can work miracles!

By the way the model is not on a 73last but the 81 last and is the famous Church's Burwood.

If you do have them recrafted you'll have a great pair of Church's shoes for less than half what you'd pay for brand new, so see your purchase as a bargain , though you certainily were mislead by the description - they've been worn a lot for many years!

Sorry to differ with you.
Those shoes look rather vintage.
They are suitable now as planters for spring flowers, and left on the front porch.
Even the raccoons won't chew on them.
Personally I wouldn't put one penny into them.
my $0.02

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads