• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boots like Doc Martens

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I need a new pair of shoes for work. For those of you who don't know, I am the general manager of a small general contracting company. While this means I am usually in the office, it doesn't exempt me from having to occasionally go pick up materials or other shoe-hazardous activities. With that in mind, I was thinking about picking up a pair of Doc Martens, the shortish (8"?) boots. However, I don't like the yellow stitching and the soles are a little too thick and clunky looking until they get beat up and worn in for about a year or so. So does anyone have any suggestions for a similar boot about the same price range? Must be durable but comfortable and preferably resoleable.

Thanks.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
get a pair of Gripfast or Grinders

same style as doc (but just subtley better) and better made. Doc Martens are no longer made in UK (in China) and fall apart much faster.

Gripfast/Grinders are UK made and much better constructed (avail in black or oxblood ruboff)

an 8 hole boot should run about $130-40

any decent "subculture" shop should have one or the other in stock

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks KB, I'm looking through the website now. They have an amazing amount of models, I had no idea. Suggestions still appreciated, but I am looking more seriously at Docs. They actually have a pretty nice looking Chelsea with leather/stealth rubber sole (not what I'm looking for, but still..)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
get a pair of Gripfast or Grinders

same style as doc (but just subtley better) and better made. Doc Martens are no longer made in UK (in China) and fall apart much faster.

Gripfast/Grinders are UK made and much better constructed (avail in black or oxblood ruboff)

an 8 hole boot should run about $130-40

any decent "subculture" shop should have one or the other in stock
Thanks for the tip, I'm looking into those now. Trying to think of where the 'subculture' shops are around here... I guess I'll have to go hit up the dive bars and find some skins to talk to.

jasonpraxis

Reaction score
I'll second the quality of Gripfasts. I've had a pair of 8-eyes in oxblood for four or five years now, and aside from the leather getting a bit scratched up (broken in, if you will), they're in great shape. A word of caution, though: they're pretty clunky, and they have screws in the soles which make an awful lot of noise on concrete sidewalks.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
the screws are inset into the sole so they never touch the ground....or yours are REALLY worn down in the sole(..) J - plenty of skins in Seattle. the few i know of are a good lot. here's Grinders website. same sizing applies as to Docs http://www.grindersfootwear.com/

stache

Reaction score
I hear a lot of bad things about Docs falling apart as well. Look at Redwing.
smile.gif

jasonpraxis

Reaction score
the screws are inset into the sole so they never touch the ground....or yours are REALLY worn down in the sole(..)

Yes, thanks for clarifying. The screws are in about 1/4" from the sole. And yes, I've worn mine down that far at the heel and under the ball of the foot.

justlurkingthanks

Reaction score
Steel-toed, unlined Loggers by Carolina are good n tough for about $100. But get the ones with the stacked heels. I was distressed recently when I saw some lesser Carolinas without the stacked heels and other features somewhere.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Update, I went and tried on Docs and a UK 10 is loose but a UK 9 will probably be tight. I really don't want thick soles or steel toes so some of the suggestions are out. I looked at some Blundstone lace-ups, but they didn't have my size and they are apparently discontinued. I don't really like the elastic side style, I want laceups, but short, not big round toes, pref oily finish black or dk brown leather. I already have Carolina combat boots that are in fine shape, but they are not right for this application and a bit difficult to heel-toe shift in. Am I picky enough? My mission this week is to find "subculture shops" around town. I may even kick it street level and take the bus downtown, wander through the shops there, and perhaps, if conditions are right, and all signs point to yes, perform the 'wino crawl'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads