• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Books and websites to learn the foundation of Coding?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm interested in learning about the basics of Coding. I've never taken a course in Computer Science before so it's all new to me. So far, I've been using www.codecademy.com, it's time consuming but I really enjoy it.

If you fellas can make other suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

If I can go back in college, I think I may have looked into this major instead..lol.

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm interested in learning about the basics of Coding. I've never taken a course in Computer Science before so it's all new to me. So far, I've been using www.codecademy.com, it's time consuming but I really enjoy it.

If you fellas can make other suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

If I can go back in college, I think I may have looked into this major instead..lol.

Thanks
happy.gif

Might be worth looking at : https://github.com/vhf/free-program...programming-books.md#professional-development

Basics of coding? I'd say pick a language and get some practice. What you want to do will have a key influence on which language you chose to start with, be it a low level language, scripting language, etc. I suggest Python.

Byte of Python is a free tutorial that's good.
http://files.swaroopch.com/python/byte_of_python.pdf

At the end of the day, coding books and things like coding academy aren't that useful. To become a good programmer, you need to spend lots of time messing around and trying to complete different projects.

Last edited:

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Might be worth looking at :  https://github.com/vhf/free-program...programming-books.md#professional-development

Basics of coding? I'd say pick a language and get some practice. What you want to do will have a key influence on which language you chose to start with, be it a low level language, scripting language, etc. I suggest Python.

Byte of Python is a free tutorial that's good.
http://files.swaroopch.com/python/byte_of_python.pdf

At the end of the day, coding books and things like coding academy aren't that useful. To become a good programmer, you need to spend lots of time messing around and trying to complete different projects.

Thanks for the reply. The thing is that I work in a completely different field so I won't have any opportunity to work on projects.

This is purely out of my own curiosity because I'm lost when I hear terms like SQL, C++, Python, Java, etc.

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The thing is that I work in a completely different field so I won't have any opportunity to work on projects.

This is purely out of my own curiosity because I'm lost when I hear terms like SQL, C++, Python, Java, etc.

By projects, I meant create your own. Set out a goal to create a script which performs a simple task and go about solving it.

As a side note, good programers take time to learn and investigate:
http://www.quora.com/Computer-Programming/How-do-programmers-have-a-lot-of-time-to-spend-on-coding

brokencycle

Reaction score
amatthew is right on. The best way is to just create your own projects. Is this to learn for a new job or just out of curiosity?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

amatthew is right on. The best way is to just create your own projects. Is this to learn for a new job or just out of curiosity?

Out of curiosity since coding is so popular nowadays.

Thanks amatthew! Will look into it. Still reading they python file you posted.

brokencycle

Reaction score
The reason I ask is that there are a lot of languages and they serve different purposes. Python is a very popular and flexible language. If you're looking to do webpages or similar javascript, .NET, or PHP may be good to learn.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The reason I ask is that there are a lot of languages and they serve different purposes. Python is a very popular and flexible language. If you're looking to do webpages or similar javascript, .NET, or PHP may be good to learn.

I'm typing via mobile so apologies if there are any errors.

I used to love sneakers as a kid. They have become quite popular in the last couple of years. The popular models usually launch at a certain time online, there are also RSVP options on Twitter, etc.

About a couple of years ago, scripts or "bots" became the sure way to obtain a pair. Services would sell their scripts and all you had to do was fill out certain portions that would allow you to add to cart automatically and checkout faster. I guess this was adopted from buying tickets to concerts and venues online to sell for profit.

I have no interest in getting in the field, at least at the moment. It's just in my nature to try to understand interesting concepts that are foreign to me.

I think I will stay with python and java. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Adorno

Reaction score
To respond to the title question, "Code" by Charles Petzold is a ground-up fundamental book that is simultaneously extremely informative and very readable and entertaining. Rather reads like an Eli Goldratt book.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads