• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bolognese

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I use Marcella Hazan's recipe, but I use equal portions ground pork and ground beef. It has always been my standby. I brown the meat.
smile.gif

With a nice wide noodle it is the king of all pasta sauces IMO.

+1 on all of this. One of the best for homemade pasta. I know it's not a big-timer recipe but my gf loves it and won't let me change.

On the other hand, a few months ago my brother was coming over for dinner and I told him that I was going to make ragu bolognese...and he asked if we could have "Ragu Cheesy Double Cheddar" instead.
facepalm.gif

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Speaking of which, I just dominated a bowl of Pappardelle Bolognese. I think the same applies to bolgnese as applies to sex, when it's bad it's still pretty good.
Unfortunately not.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by TheIdler
+1 on all of this. One of the best for homemade pasta. I know it's not a big-timer recipe but my gf loves it and won't let me change.

On the other hand, a few months ago my brother was coming over for dinner and I told him that I was going to make ragu bolognese...and he asked if we could have "Ragu Cheesy Double Cheddar" instead.
facepalm.gif

laugh.gif

Raxxman

Reaction score
For me, bacon, cinamon and a glass of white wine makes a good addition to bolognese.

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Chicken livers are the important ingredient.

For a northern Italian version yes where the French influence is greater. My family recipe is from southern Italy and does not include livers, or carrots for that matter. I don't buy the non browning of the meat though, but then I have yet to have a better version than my Mothers. I guess a couple hundered years of refinement gets you that.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Traditional Bolognese has one or two chopped chicken livers per pound of beef. You add it at the same time as the meat. Makes the whole thing much better. I use 2 per pound.

as mentioned, this appears to be a Northern Italy thing ... but I'm going to give it a try next time I make it at home.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Unfortunately not.
frown.gif

If you maintain food standards, yes.
bigstar[1].gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Traditional Bolognese has one or two chopped chicken livers per pound of beef. You add it at the same time as the meat. Makes the whole thing much better. I use 2 per pound.

I use maybe a little more than that... a couple of old italian recipes I knock around both call for about 1:3 livers to beef... plus the same weight of a good smoked ham/pork or similar...

chas

Reaction score
The best meat sauce recipe that I have come across (and now my go to) is from Giuliano Bugialli's -The Fine Art of Italian Cooking -

The secret, if there is one, is dried porcini mushrooms and their reserved liquid.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
For a northern Italian version yes where the French influence is greater. My family recipe is from southern Italy and does not include livers, or carrots for that matter. I don't buy the non browning of the meat though, but then I have yet to have a better version than my Mothers. I guess a couple hundered years of refinement gets you that.
Originally Posted by gomestar
as mentioned, this appears to be a Northern Italy thing ... but I'm going to give it a try next time I make it at home.
Hmm... Where is Bologna again?
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
It's pretty obvious Matt's entire cookbook collection is old French stuff. Dude puts chicken livers in everything. Although I have to admit, it really MADE that squab sauce.
Those were squab livers, dingbat.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar

It's a French thing, most likely. Some places and people prefer to put poultry livers in their ragu and others don't. It's not strictly a factor of geography, but more one of ease of transport -- that is, Bologna had a minor French governance before tomatoes took over Italian vineyards and subverted the Frenchman in the cucina. I never ate it with chicken livers in Bologna (a single serving sample size, mind you), but oddly enough both a Venetian trattoria and mia nonna served it with mortadella.

I've only ever seen it with chicken livers on the Internet, but that's because my forefathers couldn't traverse the Po and my father can't traverse the La Spezia-Rimini Line.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I never ate it with chicken livers in Bologna
Would you be able to tell conclusively if there was one chicken liver mixed with a pound of meat?

SantosLHalper

Reaction score
I've had the best results with Paul Bertolli's recipe from Cooking By Hand, which does brown the meat. He also advocates for skirt steak, dried porcinis and prosciutto or salami scraps. There is very little tomato in it.

If I make it for myself, I follow the recipe pretty closely. If my wife gets involved, I have to add a fair amount of tomato to satisfy her southern italian leanings.

Definitely the king of italian sauces.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Would you be able to tell conclusively if there was one chicken liver mixed with a pound of meat?

Most likely. If not with my eyes and tongue alone, then definitely with the statement of the menu and testimony of the waiter.

I can tell you my single trip to Bologna lasted one meal, but despite that I can also tell anyone who says there is a single 'authentic' ragu bolognese recipe they're wrong.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's almost impossible for things like a bolognese to be definitive. This is peasant food, not something Escoffier enumerated in a book.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why would anybody assume there was a definitive recipe? Doesn't the existence of a thread about which way is better assume multiple possibilities, or must every response be qualified by, "there are a lot of ways to do it, but I believe this is the best...?"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads