• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bioshock

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Well, the reviews are coming in and Bioshock looks like it will be one of the all-time greats. I really want to play it, but I only have a 7800GT and thus will not be able to run it with DX10. I'm debating whether or not to pick it up now and run it on my outdated graphics card, or wait till the day (which could be very far off) when I can afford to blow $400 on an 8800GTS. I usually have a thing about playing a game on the latest hardware at its highest specs, because I think that's the way the devs intended you to experience it.

I know I could play it on the 360, but I don't have one of those yet and I can never really play FPSes on consoles. I really need my keyboard and mouse.

Your thoughts?

Oh, specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 OC'ed to 2.8
2 GB RAM
74 GB Raptor as primary, about 900 GB on other drives
Vista Ultimate

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get an 8800GTS 320 mb for 280. But anyway, any of the current crop of DX10 cards are not going to last very long as far as DX10 games go. Just play it in DX9.

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
You can get an 8800GTS 320 mb for 280. But anyway, any of the current crop of DX10 cards are not going to last very long as far as DX10 games go. Just play it in DX9.

Well, I guess I knew that. I was really hoping for the 640 version, but do you think it really matters?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not this early in the game, but it will soon. The performance of a game like Bioshock is almost certainly going to be bottlenecked by its DX9 console development, so DX10 won't make a difference.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I can't believe how good of reviews this game is getting. I guess I can't pass this up. Some kids on other forums who downloaded it before hand have all said it's now their favorite game.

To be honest I'd rather get it on X360 because it's much cheaper to get the full experience, than it would be to upgrade your system. I hate console shooters passionately (minus Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark), but this one is apparently so good, it would be stupid to pass up.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I can't believe how good of reviews this game is getting. I guess I can't pass this up.

Same here. The overwhelmingly positive reviews are unlike anything I've seen. I'm not at all interested in the FPS genre; yet I'm contemplating getting a XBox360 just for this.

Jsoftz

Reaction score
I played the demo today, I just have to say- it was freakin' awesome. The game is so innovative in an industry that is over saturated with ****** sequels. The entire environment is useful, and the graphics are great even in DX9. I will be buying the full version as soon as I pay my tuition, and I recommend y'all do the same. That is, buying the game- though you're welcome to pay my tuition as well.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I played the demo and I wasn't necessarily all that impressed, which is why I'm shocked to see how well it's received. It's now the #2 best reviewed game of all time (below Zelda: Ocarina of Time).

I am definitely going to play through Bioshock, but I'm also holding my breath for Metroid Prime 3. Nintendo Power gave it a 10, and surprisingly, they *RARELY* give perfect scores (even Zelda: Twilight Princess didn't receive a perfect score from NP, but got perfects from other multi-console magazines and websites). As far as video games are concerned, this fall is going to be one of the best seasons in a long while (Smash Bros, Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, Mass Effect all coming out this year).

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't play the demo; couldn't see my mouse pointer at the title screen; and after the video of the crash, the screen was black with random pixels everywhere. Oh well; guess i'll be waiting for tf2.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've finished the game (I received my copy last week) and I have to say this is probably the best game I have ever played. I'm a huge fan of Irrational Games (whose lineage includes Thief, System Shock and Freedom Force), so I was pretty excited, but in no way was I expecting something like this. The way this melds gameplay, art direction and a disturbing, immersive world is revolutionary. I can't really say much more without giving anything away, so just go play it. Immediately.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
I've finished the game (I received my copy last week) and I have to say this is probably the best game I have ever played. I'm a huge fan of Irrational Games (whose lineage includes Thief, System Shock and Freedom Force), so I was pretty excited, but in no way was I expecting something like this. The way this melds gameplay, art direction and a disturbing, immersive world is revolutionary. I can't really say much more without giving anything away, so just go play it. Immediately.

On the PC?

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I played the demo and I wasn't necessarily all that impressed, which is why I'm shocked to see how well it's received. It's now the #2 best reviewed game of all time (below Zelda: Ocarina of Time).

The demo only really gave me a taste of how good it COULD be. I wasn't blown away by the demo by itself, but it whet my appetite for a game that could be one of the best ever. The best way I can describe it is.. a coherent vision. So many games do one thing well, they have good graphics, or a good story line, or innovative gameplay, etc. But every element in this game is designed to compliment its other strengths, and it does each individual element really well.

And yes, it was on the PC. Running DX9 rather then 10, that's my only regret.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The game has so much atmosphere that I would definitely wait until you get a better card to play. I've had Oblivion on my shelf collection dust for this same reason. I plan to get it for 360 since my computer can't handle it and I don't want to wait for an upgrade.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
On the PC?
Unfortunately, no. I purchased one of the leaked X-Box 360 games the middle of last week. I beat it and flipped it on craigslist for a hefty sum, so I guess it all worked out. I'm going to purchase it off of Steam once they remove the additional layer of DRM (I refuse to support that draconian malware). I hope my iMac can run it (well).

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
Unfortunately, no. I purchased one of the leaked X-Box 360 games the middle of last week. I beat it and flipped it on craigslist for a hefty sum, so I guess it all worked out.

I'm going to purchase it off of Steam once they remove the additional layer of DRM (I refuse to support that draconian malware). I hope my iMac can run it (well).

Your iMac is probably similar in specs to my laptop - nVidia GeForce 8600, intel dual core 2.4ghz, and my laptop ran the demo at a solid 40-60 fps at high settings.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeelool