• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best undershirts?

bt61184

Reaction score
I am looking foir better quality undershirts and am willing to pay ~$20 each. My calvin Klein stretch ones are already showign wear, although they are soft. thanks

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a look at those:

blank.jpg

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Holy necro-thread batman!

I like my Polo ones.

My Polo ones have an awful fit. I find Schiesser much better. I am very satisfied with them.

bmf895

Reaction score
Hanes ComfortSoft from Wal-Mart:
- tagless
- fitted
- soft enough
- 100% cotton
- v or crew neck
- colors available (white, grey, black)
- less than $3 per shirt

Undershirts don't last very long. They get food stains, yellow underarm stains from deodorant, stretch out, and turn "off-white" after multiple washings. At less than three bucks a pop, I don't feel bad throwing them out and replacing them as needed. Cheap undershirts are a good way to save $$$ to put towards clothing that other people actually see! My two cents.

zizou

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmf895
Hanes ComfortSoft from Wal-Mart:
- tagless
- fitted
- soft enough
- 100% cotton
- v or crew neck
- colors available (white, grey, black)
- less than $3 per shirt

Undershirts don't last very long. They get food stains, yellow underarm stains from deodorant, stretch out, and turn "off-white" after multiple washings. At less than three bucks a pop, I don't feel bad throwing them out and replacing them as needed. Cheap undershirts are a good way to save $$$ to put towards clothing that other people actually see! My two cents.

+1.

Patrician

Reaction score
I don't wear undershirts, however I've heard that Hanes is the path for the chosen one.

dkats00

Reaction score
I've tried many different brands, including higher priced ones. I always go back to Alfani from Macys. They're trim, plently long, and the v-necks have a nice deep v. And you can't beat the price.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually enjoy Brooks Brothers' undershirts - not the super-expensive ones though! Get a 15% corp card from Borders, 100 posts on the other forum, or wherever, and you're set - only 29.32 for 3 shirts with that discount. Not that much more expensive than Hanes / Polo/ whatnot, though I'll admit they are more expensive! Yet they don't shrink in the length as badly as those alternatives do. I have both the crewnecks and vnecks, and have no complaints with either. They did semi-recently switch to being made in Thailand instead of made in Canada. I've had no issues with the newer ones over a period of about 3 months - time will tell in the longer run.

I will say this - moving from Hanes was like a revelation!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bt61184
I am looking foir better quality undershirts and am willing to pay ~$20 each. My calvin Klein stretch ones are already showign wear, although they are soft. thanks

Go without is best - far more hygienic and comfortable assuming you use a deodorant..

bmf895

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Go without is best - far more hygienic and comfortable assuming you use a deodorant..

I disagree. You can wash undershirts on hot, with bleach, etc. Your dress shirts can only be laundered on cold/warm. If you go sans undershirt, you'll never get rid of all of the dead skin/bacteria/deodorant that will rub off on your dress shirt with lukewarm water. Therefore, I'd say wearing an undershirt, which creates a barrier between your body and your expensive dress shirts, is MORE hygienic than going undershirt-less.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like 2(x)ist but they aren't that long so it might not be ideal for tucking in with dress shirts. Quality is great though and can be had for 3/pack for $12-$15 at TJ Maxx, Marshall, Ross or Nordstrom Rack. If they only made some in light grey (v-neck), it'll be the only undershirt I wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads