• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Stylish, Durable, Carry-on Suitcase for Domestic Travel?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll be traveling a lot in the next year or so and I need a suitcase as such. I've looked at past threads and whatnot but I'm hoping to get some more current advice.

What I'm looking for:
- a hard body suit case that's stylish (but not those tacky plastic ones that are shiny and have crazy ridges/design elements)
- won't fall over when propped up due to weight imbalances
- compact
- carry on
- good warranty

Questions:
- zipper vs latch pros and cons?
- hard shell vs soft shell pros and cons?

Brands I've looked at:
- briggs and riley
- samsonite
- tumi vapor (hell, they're really expensive, and a tad bit too flashy for my liking)

I'm looking to spend around $300-$400.

I'm really liking this one because of the compartment to hang your dress shirts: http://www.briggs-riley.com/categor...de-body-Upright-Series-200_TU220XW&sec=travel

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I'd agree, but he said hard case.
Rimowa
/thread

+1

Only hardbody I saw that was nice. Otherwise, B&R or Tumi Gen4/Alpha.

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score

+1
Only hardbody I saw that was nice. Otherwise, B&R or Tumi Gen4/Alpha.

Rimowa looks nice, but don't expect it to be sturdy, at least the aluminum luggage.

KurtS90

Reaction score
I only travel with Pelican cases, when it comes to airlines (travel in general) I want durability. But these cases are not stylish in any way.

~Kurt

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would completely disagree....Rimowas are more than study. I have a huge aluminum that has been around the world multiple times, beat to **** and still keeps going. Recently got a Salsa Air that is freakishly light and very strong. It's been on a few trans-Pacifics and multiple domestics.... no problems. For something even more stylish http://www.globetrotter1897.com/

Last edited:

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score

I would completely disagree....Rimowas are more than study. I have a huge aluminum that has been around the world multiple times, beat to **** and still keeps going. Recently got a Salsa Air that is freakishly light and very strong. It's been on a few trans-Pacifics and multiple domestics.... no problems. For something even more stylish http://www.globetrotter1897.com/

Disagree all you like. I know the reality of their quality. I have managed to damage an attache ($1200) to an unsatisfactorily unrepairable state, only fit to be taken to the shooting range as a target. Not sturdy. Total waste of money. Ballistic nylon wins out every time.

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Disagree all you like. I know the reality of their quality. I have managed to damage an attache ($1200) to an unsatisfactorily unrepairable state, only fit to be taken to the shooting range as a target. Not sturdy. Total waste of money. Ballistic nylon wins out every time.

was it an aluminum attache? maybe you're "harder" on yours than I am. I got pretty good deals on both of mine, haven't had any durability issues and quite like them. just sayin.

ms244

Reaction score
You want a Pelican case.

You can pick up a slightly used one on ebay in for maybe $100 (foam adds a bit to the price).

I have one, its indestructible, floats too. Just keep some tape on you and tape over the hinges so they don't get caught on the conveyer.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You want a Pelican case.
You can pick up a slightly used one on ebay in for maybe $100 (foam adds a bit to the price).
I have one, its indestructible, floats too. Just keep some tape on you and tape over the hinges so they don't get caught on the conveyer.

I think he wanted a carry on suitcase... not something to carry his SWAT team gear in.

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score

was it an aluminum attache? maybe you're "harder" on yours than I am. I got pretty good deals on both of mine, haven't had any durability issues and quite like them. just sayin.

I got mine a bit cheaper than retail, and it was aluminum. I was parked on an rather steep incline in my SUV and it slid out the back before I could even grab it, and crushed one of the corners. It could not be repaired to the original finish because of the way Rimowa puts the finish on the aluminum attaches. Completely ruined it for me. I was willing to pay to have it repaired, but they could not do it. But I have seen pictures of another piece of luggage in another thread on the Style Forum that was _really_ messed up. The cost is way too high even discounted to have that happen and not to be able to have it repaired. I really hope you have better luck with yours.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I ended up getting this rolling duffel bag from Hartmann but I don't like it already. It's a bit too big to fit flush in overhead compartments so I end up checking it every single time. I like the fact that I can carry it around when I want easily due to it being a duffel bag, but it's just too long and tall to be a true carry-on. Dude who sold it to me said it could be used as a carry-on, no problem. Now that I've used it I can't return it.. :plain:

876768_fpx.tif

I know the standard is 21" for domestic carry on, but I think I want to err on the safe side and choose something that's 18".

Those globetrotter cases look amazing, but are probably ridiculously expensive and gaudy for my 22-yo self.

Every week, I'm learning new ways to be more efficient with travel and packing.. still have a long ways to go because I'm still taking way too much **** in my luggage.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member