• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best, most prestigious school in the world?

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Who to heck revived this thread?

I went to a graduation at Berkeley the other day. Man, that place has been the University of Beijing for at least the last decade. Considering that the CSU system has only a couple of doctoral programs, the UC's showpiece location is a massive fail at being the public servant it claims to be.

That's why the campus is crumbling, they have no money, and the alumni network sucks ****. I was a Cal undergrad and grad FWIW.

Citroen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pundit
If I remember correctly, Cooper Union is the toughest to get into ....

This. If I remember correctly, I Believe they accept 700 students per year, each student is fully paid for (tuition,dorm,food, etc). Lower acceptance rate than all of the ivy's.
You pretty much need a direct blood line to Jesus and a 14 inch cock to be accepted.

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Am I correct in concluding after all these pages and a period of thread dormancy that the definition of the word "prestige" in this thread is (1) that which makes a bourgeois and/or immigrant parent feel that they have finally bested other bourgeois and/or immigrant parents and/or (2) that which gives a graduate population a marginal statistical advantage over a competing graduate population for financial, legal, medical, governmental or academic entry-level positions?

If so, it sounds exciting.

- B

smile.gif
Outstanding. Take a bow, sir.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Citroen
This. If I remember correctly, I Believe they accept 700 students per year, each student is fully paid for (tuition,dorm,food, etc). Lower acceptance rate than all of the ivy's. You pretty much need a direct blood line to Jesus and a 14 inch cock to be accepted.
are you daft? it has a **** ton of applicants because its free, not because its the best school in the world. If you disagree, then I guess you think 7-11 on free slurpee day is selling the best beverage in the world. same applies for the service academies

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Where my fellow Phoenix almuni at?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Graduate of Al Quaeda Polytechnic here.

My dad graduated from Oxford and was a professor at Harvard, but I never knew until I found his CV on his professional website. Never told anyone.

Telefonica

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chas
You could go back and forth forever on what the best school in the world is. I would focus on something interesting that you can get your arms around. Like the Colorado School of Mines or the Thunderbird School of Global Management. Both good schools and both very specific in focus.
Whoop Whoop, represent! I'm a mines grad myself. Best school in the country! As a matter of fact, it has the highest average starting salary of any publicly funded school in the US. I paid $2.5k per semester and landed a $65k job 6 months before I graduated. http://www.payscale.com/best-college...iversities.asp /thread Edit - it also has the highest mid career salary. I graduated 2008.

Gene Parmesan

Reaction score
Nice to see Oxford mentioned on here so much. I would say it can definitely contend for the 'prestigious' part of the thread title, but not the best, as the teaching varies so much by college (and, by extension, which tutors you're assigned). That said, it's nice to know that so many Americans view it the same way we view Harvard in the UK (for better or worse!)

Canal Directo

Reaction score
lol at Sorbonne!

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
+1 for

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institut_Le_Rosey

During most of the 20th century, Le Rosey was referred to as the "School of Kings", as the school has educated many notable alumni, including 7 monarchs.[7][8]

Le Rosey is currently in the planning stages of constructing the CHF 45 million (estimated $43 million USD) Carnal Hall, an Arts and Performance Centre for Le Rosey and the La Côte region currently scheduled for completion in 2012.[9][10] The school is also planning the sale of its Gstaad winter campus, and a move to a location that can accommodate more personnel and students.[11]

Their spending makes endowments look poor...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads