• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best deal on rental cars?

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
I rarely rent a car when I travel, but I need to for a five-day trip to L.A. later this summer.

Any suggestions for sites where I can get the best deal? Should I just roll the dice with Priceline or is there something better?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most rental companies usually have promotions or coupon codes.

Also, check to see if you belong in any corporate or preferred plans. Amex cardholders have a code, for example.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't get a rental car from the airport. Find one off sight and then pay for a taxi there. Most airports are 20-50 more a day than somewhere in town.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just rented a car from enterprise a few months ago.

for a compact, it was 10/day fri, sat, sun and about 20 every other day. there is a mileage limitation, so i'd look into that. also there was a $250 deposit.

all in all i thought it was very reasonable since i only used it for the 3 day weekend. they actually upgraded me to a "luxury" car (chevy impala) free of charge since they ran out of compacts (i did my reservations online).

i did not rent it from the airport. there are plenty of car rental places just right outside.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Personally, I've never found the "don't rent from the airport" advice to hold water. It might be true if you're just calling them up or booking straight through them online but there are loads of deals to be had through travel sites like priceline, mobissimo, kayak, etc.

I typically rent a car a couple of times a year while traveling and every single time has been through an airport (or off-site shuttle) location, even when there were more convenient locations nearby, because they had the lowest rates. And I'm talking ~$17-23/day, major cities, unlimited mileage, mid or full-size, during holiday periods like New Years and spring break, and through companies like Avis, Enterprise, etc.

One piece of advice I do have is to not try to pinch pennies because you won't get the deals. More often than not, while the advertised rate for a compact is supposed to be the cheapest, it isn't. It might be true on a day-to-day rental basis but typically the mid size is the cheapest for a weekly rate. Gas is almost a non-issue these days since most of the mid size fleet push mpg into the high 20's-30s, or nearly identical to an "econo" compact. And even when the compact is cheapest, it's usually only a few bucks less than the mid size and my legs like to breathe.

RanMan

Reaction score
Decent rates can be had at Avis with a Costco membership. Costco dot com, Travel, Rental Car, Avis. Pretty happy with that set up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads