• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best BBQ and best Mexican in Austin

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I write for Fearless Critic and can recommend Franklin Barbecue and El Naranjo for real Mexican, not Tex-Mex.

Kent, don't you think that you should at least give the guy a disclaimer, that these are both trailers?! What happens if he plans his under 24 hour day to include a client, or if it is raining, or if he needs to take a piss? Come on, dude.
eh.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spats
Kent, don't you think that you should at least give the guy a disclaimer, that these are both trailers?! What happens if he plans his under 24 hour day to include a client, or if it is raining, or if he needs to take a piss? Come on, dude.
eh.gif

Only client dinner is at Driskill Grill, and that was cancelled. These two are for my own enjoyment. Trailers are ******* tops in my opinion so no problems there if they serve good food. Looks like Franklin's is the best. So is it possible that I show up to Franklin and they'll run out of ****? I'm guessing I'll be there between 2 and 6. I want to try the ribs, brisket and pulled pork.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have heard of them running out. I always go early though. You could call before heading out there.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Have two dinners (one early dinner/late lunch).

I want one incredible BBQ meal and one really great Tex Mex meal. Preferably downtown, don't have a lot of time. I'm in Austin less than 24 hours stopping by to do a followup on a consulting thing from a few months back.

Please advise.

Didn't you previously state that you hate Mexican food? I know Tex-Mex is different but still.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Didn't you previously state that you hate Mexican food? I know Tex-Mex is different but still.
I want to try what people universally consider to be good. Same as my question to try good "chinese" food. I've had a few meals made by good mexican cooks that were nice, but for the most part it's been dreck. And over and over I get the answer, o you haven't had the right kind. Well I want to try what people think is some of the better stuff and hopefully be enlightened.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Salt Lick live up to the hype? I understand that it's not really in downtown, but just looking to get an insiders POV.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
salt lick is good for novelty because of where it is. the food is ok. i don't get the hype after the initial visit.

iron works is damn good bbq downtown. ruby's is really good and up near the UT campus.

i'm not a huge tex mex fan. sazon and azul tequila are awesome interior spots. don't let anyone talk you into guero's or maudie's, although gueros can be fun for margaritas because of the scene.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
salt lick is good for novelty because of where it is. the food is ok. i don't get the hype after the initial visit.

iron works is damn good bbq downtown. ruby's is really good and up near the UT campus.

i'm not a huge tex mex fan. sazon and azul tequila are awesome interior spots. don't let anyone talk you into guero's or maudie's, although gueros can be fun for margaritas because of the scene.

+1 to Iron Works

Kent- what are your thoughts on the joint?

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
Does Salt Lick live up to the hype? I understand that it's not really in downtown, but just looking to get an insiders POV.
Salt Lick is usually denigrated by BBQ snobs for various reasons, including emphasizing the sauce and pork ribs. I still like it - it's a pretty spot, it's meat, and it's byob. The top 5 in central Texas are usually considered City Market in Luling, Smittys, Louie Mueller, Kreuz's, and Snow's. None of these are in Austin. Franklin is in town and an up and comer and definitely some of the best brisket I've ever had, but you have to wait in line and it's in a trailer and a pia (opening a brick and mortar shortly, hopefully the downsides will be remedied). You really have to get to Franklin before noon to make sure they aren't sold out (and expect a long wait unless you are there before 11). House Park and Sam's are my favorite old school Austin spots. Iron Works is just passable. There is much better, even in town. Closeby is Lambert's, although it's "non-traditional" and offers more interesting fare than their BBQ. I think the best in between between real Mexican (La Condessa, El Naranjo, etc) and the old line velveeta Tex Mex (which I don't much like, but which includes places like Matt's El Rancho and El Azteca) are places like Polvo's, which is my favorite and El Meson. I can't imagine the OP would like a place like Matt's or a place like Fonda, which is pretty dated. A spot like Polvo's or El Naranjo are at least honest and fun. OP may also like a place that caters to Mexican immigrants and has some unusual stuff, like Las Cazuelas.

premo

Reaction score
Well I just visited Austin (and thus Texas, I'm from Canada) for the first time and went to The Salt Lick. It was great. I would go again, in a heartbeat.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) i feel like i need to make completely clear that the Stubbs barbecue I was talking about is only distantly related culinarily to the stubbs barbecue corporation of today. 2) last time i was in austin, friends (OK, joe ely and jimmie dale gilmore, to name-drop), took me to Salt Lick; they thought i'd like it because it was different from the usual barbecue. it was just ok, but what i REALLY wanted was the usual barbecue. there are few foods i can't get in southern california, but really terrific texas bbq is one of them.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
1) i feel like i need to make completely clear that the Stubbs barbecue I was talking about is only distantly related culinarily to the stubbs barbecue corporation of today. 2) last time i was in austin, friends (OK, joe ely and jimmie dale gilmore, to name-drop), took me to Salt Lick; they thought i'd like it because it was different from the usual barbecue. it was just ok, but what i REALLY wanted was the usual barbecue. there are few foods i can't get in southern california, but really terrific texas bbq is one of them.
If you want as good as it gets, real old school Texas BBQ, I would go to City Market in Luling or Smitty's in Lockhart, or, if the drive is impossible, Franklin, which is in town. However, as Premo's post made clear, for most folks who don't eat pounds of BBQ a year Salt Lick is passable, as are other local options (Rudy's chain, eg.).

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it looks like Franklin's might leave me **** out of luck in the afternoon, huh?

piluchavez

Reaction score
Not really Tex Mex but Curra's Grill on Oltorf is pretty damn good. This is coming from a guy who use to live in El Paso.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads