• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best all-around chinos?

cedarlake23

Reaction score
Well for me, the only alterations I have been doing on the chinos is hemming, but relatively rarely because they generally fit me well. If I choose to have tapering jobs for them, I typically bring them to my tailor, because he typically does the job done well. Generally, for pants that I really like, and are not too drastically slim or baggy, I send them to a tailor who does bespoke, instead of the normal alternations people.

For the Brooks Brothers though, I mainly had experienced them being baggy, and never really had an issue with slimness... but yet again, I buy them vintage, so the fits maybe a little bit different back then for this brand. Ralph Lauren chinos are IMO fit me well, and I am not a slim fit generally.

Also I recently purchased some chinos from spier-mackay, and I say they fit very similarly to one of my more tapered vintage chinos. The fabric feels a lot better too!
Excellent information. I'll give S&M a look. Thanks!

db530

Reaction score
They have a store in DC - I should just try them on in person. But I am afraid they'll be too slim. Thanks for the recommendation - we'll see how it goes.

They are pretty slim but definitely worth a trip to the store. Such a great store.

I just bought some slim Incotex and they are currently my favorites.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the market for all-around chinos (i.e. not too workwear, not too tailored) that have a higher rise to tuck in shirts and allow room for my thighs but still have a taper. Ideally they'd have neutral khaki, navy, and olive/green versions so I could make a capsule wardrobe out of them. I'd wear them with OCBDs and sport coats to work and with a t shirt and sneakers on the weekends. Definitely looking for Fall/Winter/Spring weight, too, since I live in DC and have lightweight summer chinos already. The sport chinos the armory makes seem exactly what I'm interested in - not too slim, not too full, high rise with a taper. However, I can't really stomach paying that much. I've looked around and can't seem to find that happy medium these chinos achieve. For example, ones made by 3sixteen seem too workwear but look like they would otherwise fit well. The ones from APC seem too low rise.

Overall, I can't seem to find a replica of the armory chinos that's less expensive. If anyone has any feedback it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

While I understand the price would sting, it may help to consider the cost per wear. A pair of good chinos in hard-wearing cotton can become a wardrobe staple, and will only get better with time as they develop patina. Cheaper ones, especially the ones with a bit of elastics in them, will age terribly and you won't want to wear them as much.

Recently picked up a pair of Rubato officer chinos which looks to have a lot of the traits you're looking for, but they're close to the armoury ones in price. Still, I consider it an investment, especially considering how horrible most chinos are. Compared to paying half that price for slim fitting, low rise trousers that will age terribly, I consider the more expensive ones a bargain.

MattyS

Reaction score
While we're on the subject, what do people think of chinos with pleats? I generally prefer pleated trousers, but pleated chinos seem rather difficult to find, which suggests they're not a "thing." Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While we're on the subject, what do people think of chinos with pleats? I generally prefer pleated trousers, but pleated chinos seem rather difficult to find, which suggests they're not a "thing." Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

I dig em, but in more fashion-forward fits. I've been eyeing some from Casa Atlantic.

MattyS

Reaction score
I dig em, but in more fashion-forward fits. I've been eyeing some from Casa Atlantic.

Those look great. I wish the models that are slightly more tapered (8.5" opening) had belt loops instead of side-adjusters. I prefer belts with chinos and the like. (One pleated model has belt loops, but the 9.5" openings are rather wide.)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those look great. I wish the models that are slightly more tapered (8.5" opening) had belt loops instead of side-adjusters. I prefer belts with chinos and the like. (One pleated model has belt loops, but the 9.5" openings are rather wide.)

Yea, they're definitely directional.

The company is by Nathaniel Asseraf, who wears the line on his IG. I have a pair of tan cotton pants from Lemaire and find that the wider fit makes them look less like LL Bean dad pants. But then you also have to wear them in a way that makes the silhouette look intentional.

MattyS

Reaction score
Yea, they're definitely directional.

The company is by Nathaniel Asseraf, who wears the line on his IG. I have a pair of tan cotton pants from Lemaire and find that the wider fit makes them look less like LL Bean dad pants. But then you also have to wear them in a way that makes the silhouette look intentional.
Well, I am a dad!

cedarlake23

Reaction score
While I understand the price would sting, it may help to consider the cost per wear. A pair of good chinos in hard-wearing cotton can become a wardrobe staple, and will only get better with time as they develop patina. Cheaper ones, especially the ones with a bit of elastics in them, will age terribly and you won't want to wear them as much.

Recently picked up a pair of Rubato officer chinos which looks to have a lot of the traits you're looking for, but they're close to the armoury ones in price. Still, I consider it an investment, especially considering how horrible most chinos are. Compared to paying half that price for slim fitting, low rise trousers that will age terribly, I consider the more expensive ones a bargain.
Yeah, I'm feeling kinda resigned to it at this point, to be honest. But the nice thing is that if they're well-built and "timeless" (that word is a bit hackneyed, but I do think it applies here), it could at least be worth it. Thanks for the input!

manon

Reaction score
brand name of this chinos?

NINTCHDBPICT0004840706331.jpg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe worth taking a flyer on something like this

Spier trousers are not a good fit for me personally, but they're good quality and the price is borderline ridiculous. Worth a go to see if they hit the mark for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads