• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yea but how would Ambrosi design the button on a jeans, like hi buttoning these 45 buttons before you wear your jeans?

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If only there were a particular cut of jean specifically designed for wearing with boots. ?

These? ?

1623424199440.png

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By the way do you have any RRL boot cut from back in the days, imagine that would work well?

I do have a few kicking around, but can still wear most western boots with RRL slim fits without creating the stuffed sausage profile people are worried about. Example, these are RRL slim with Heritage:

boot3.jpg

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unless it's really loud tweed and flannel jacket it's probably not that showy in the fall? Don't go full English country outdoor style, like I would think it's pretty muted if you do like a cord+tweed in the fall in bunch solids?

Sure, if you skip the tie and pocket square, maybe use a more casual shirt (to remain on topic), and maybe go with pretty casual shoes—probably no leather soles or some unlined style. Chinos or cords or jeans are much better than flannels with this look. That’s one way to salvage classic tailoring in the 21stC. But that’s not the “correct” CM look I was talking about, and which used to be the “uniform” that got Foo onto some hilarious best dressed contest on television, back in the day.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By the way what’s wrong with leather sole, like tweed+chino+shirt without tie+chukka or any none sleek derby sounds boring jcrew safe to me, I mean you can do CP like white sneaker too (which is also very safe), but other than maybe looks a bit older with leather sole derby (like 35 not 59) I don’t see it stand out at all

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way what’s wrong with leather sole, like tweed+chino+shirt without tie+chukka or any none sleek derby sounds boring jcrew safe to me, I mean you can do CP like white sneaker too (which is also very safe), but other than maybe looks a bit older with leather sole derby (like 35 not 59) I don’t see it stand out at all

Totally fine and doesn’t stand out. Just a bit boring and biz-caz, as you say. A vintage multicoloured trainer (Spalwart/Cortez etc) or beat-up desert boot with crepe sole is better for that laid back tailored look. The latter shoe also has a political connotation in Italy, which I like, and which long predates the current Drakes/Anglo-induced popularity of the style.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Totally fine and doesn’t stand out. Just a bit boring and biz-caz, as you say. A vintage multicoloured trainer (Spalwart/Cortez etc) or beat-up desert boot with crepe sole is better for that laid back tailored look. The latter shoe also has a political connotation in Italy, which I like, and which long predates the current Drakes/Anglo-induced popularity of the style.

definitely never knew, what's the connotation?

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
yea but how would Ambrosi design the button on a jeans, like hi buttoning these 45 buttons before you wear your jeans?

He just showed me one of his latest commissions for himself, which was a denim jacket. I look forward to our next trunkshow, to see him in a full cowboy suit.

And yes, there will be buttons..

driving glove

Reaction score
Late in catching up with this thread, but great to hear from @edmorel. Wore a great pair of Panta cornmeal shade linen pants yesterday that are about a decade old, and holding up really well. Still have a repp stripe shantung silk and two very muted matt ancient madder ties in rotation about the same vintage. Among the best value items I own.
Sorry for the derail, back to all things Foo.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
definitely never knew, what's the connotation?
I cannot speak for @radicaldog but in my world the connotation was/is: left-wing, academic, creative, intellectual, not "uptight", to the degree that worn crepe-soled suede desert boots (or similar casual but elegant, softer shoes) with jeans, linen/khaki, or corduroy pants in winter formed the core of a style called "sinistrese" ("of the left"). The term still obtains but as with most things the original connotation may not reflect the socio-political reality of the wearer these days.

Edit: I just saw @radicaldog had just now replied also.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads