• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought at first that your post said Frederick II of Prussia, and was super peeved that the actor was far too fat, not the right uniform, etc.

Many poasters have compared me to that noble personage, captured marvelously in Kubrick's best film:

@Van Veen -- Where is that shot from? You stumped ole GE on this one.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Many poasters have compared me to that noble personage, captured marvelously in Kubrick's best film:

@Van Veen -- Where is that shot from? You stumped ole GE on this one.

See my followup post. It's a German guy who does 18th c. reenactment/cosplay & hand makes all his own costumes.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the French army uniform evolution in WW1. Loud colors, contrary to popular belief, don't stop machine guns and may make you an easy target.

81cBf65FUnL.jpg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the French army uniform evolution in WW1. Loud colors, contrary to popular belief, don't stop machine guns and may make you an easy target.

View attachment 1632891

(historical geek-out)

To be fair, louder colours made sense on the battlefield prior to WWI, because even with the invention of the breech-loading rifle and rapid-fire guns the rifle skirmishes would be fought by camouflaged units anyway. The main army had to be visible and distinct for cohesion, and if you were going to make an easy target you might as well have some martial spirit to the design to boost morale.

The British and Canadians were more prepared in this, as fighting on several continents and especially in India and South Africa had already taught the value of drab uniforms in the 19th century. Continental armies were still fighting with older mindsets - I think everyone was surprised by how the war actually developed (trenches etc.).

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting situation for a major actor when their (arguably) most memorable role and iconic line comes in a short screen time supporting role. Apparently Duvall was only onscreen for 11 minutes.
That's a lot of work- Beatrice Straight won an Oscar for five minutes of screen time in Network and Judy Dench got one for eight minutes of Shakespeare In Love. Duvall really wasn't very efficient with his performance, when you think about it.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of work- Beatrice Straight won an Oscar for five minutes of screen time in Network...Duvall really wasn't very efficient with his performance, when you think about it.

Right movie, but wrong actress:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members