• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB Non-iron cottons shirts $39.75 starting Jan 6th

phillyesq

Reaction score
I have a bunch of BB non-irons, but I haven't purchased one in about a year, and I don't plan to purchase any more. One of the problems with the non-irons is that they wear out very quickly. The cuffs, collars and the middle of the shirt near the buttons are all very prone to fraying, as are the creases on the sleave. In addition, the shirts seem to develop holes where the crease on the sleave meets the cuff. The fraying is much worse with the solid color point collar dress shirts. I haven't had as much of a problem with sport shirts or dress shirts with a button down collar.

They are very convenient, and you save a lot on dry cleaning. But lately, the quality on the shirts seem to be getting much worse.

billiebob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
Very Tent Like. BB has just recently released a slim fit luxury line though which is good news.

These are my go-to shirts. I usually have them taken in, so this is awesome news.

Mathew J

Reaction score
just got three from the outlet (BB not 346) for under 30 each, personally I like them as I am lazy and hate taking things to the cleaners, plus they look and fit decent enough for me

hoffmand

Reaction score
I've heard some complaints about the BB non-irons (or all non-irons) wearing out quicker than people expected, but what about their "unconditional guarantee"? Why not just return them for a new shirt or a full refund? You only need to buy the shirt once and they'll keep replacing it if it ever wears out. Sounds like a pretty safe bet.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
Very Tent Like. BB has just recently released a slim fit luxury line though which is good news.

I cannot find these on their website. Are they too new?

And more importantly, do they offer a 15.5x36 in this line?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hoffmand
I've heard some complaints about the BB non-irons (or all non-irons) wearing out quicker than people expected, but what about their "unconditional guarantee"? Why not just return them for a new shirt or a full refund? You only need to buy the shirt once and they'll keep replacing it if it ever wears out. Sounds like a pretty safe bet.

Absolutely. If I had a BB shirt of any kind that began to fray or wear in a way that was not expected I would return it in a heartbeat.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hoffmand

I know my brother in law tried this and they denied him...they said that the shirts only last so long and they are not guaranteed...

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It would have to fray extremely quickly for me to return it. If it lasted two thirds the time of a regular cotton from BB, I'd donate it to Goodwill and resolve not to buy another.

As long as a product has a reasonable lifespan, even if it's shorter than I'd like, I would consider it poor form to return it after significant wear. There needs to be some sort of defect, or the item needs to have failed to live up to some specific claim.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mathew J
I know my brother in law tried this and they denied him...they said that the shirts only last so long and they are not guaranteed...

i was in a bb a few months ago and a guy came in with some frayed collars and they said we havent made shirts with this tag for 6 or 7 years. but they replaced them for him. i guess it depends on the sa.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one that frayed on the cuffs, and before long developed a huge hole in the sleeve gusset. It felt the least non-irony though. The stiffer, less breathable ones, haven't frayed yet (of course, I haven't worn them as much either).

They are tentriffic, even compared to another BB button-down in the same size. The arms are positively huge. Perhaps they don't shrink like regular cotton. I should post a picture of how huge they are.

I do however have a Brooks MTM non-iron and it's cut about perfectly.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
i was in a bb a few months ago and a guy came in with some frayed collars and they said we havent made shirts with this tag for 6 or 7 years. but they replaced them for him. i guess it depends on the sa.

Yeah I guess, personally I am with Doc, I just couldn't bring myself to returning anything if I got some decent use out of it, if it fell apart in four months then sure, but anything over a year I wouldn't bother....though my mother in law works in retail and says people return or try to return stuff from ages ago all the time.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phillyesq
I have a bunch of BB non-irons, but I haven't purchased one in about a year, and I don't plan to purchase any more. One of the problems with the non-irons is that they wear out very quickly. The cuffs, collars and the middle of the shirt near the buttons are all very prone to fraying, as are the creases on the sleave. In addition, the shirts seem to develop holes where the crease on the sleave meets the cuff. The fraying is much worse with the solid color point collar dress shirts. I haven't had as much of a problem with sport shirts or dress shirts with a button down collar.

They are very convenient, and you save a lot on dry cleaning. But lately, the quality on the shirts seem to be getting much worse.

I would not return a shirt that started to fray on the cuffs or collar after a couple of years or normal wear, but if any BB shirt of mine developed a hole where the sleeve meets the cuff, you bet I would bring it back - even after a few years. I have 10 year old BB shirts that I still wear and have held up fine. Others have started to fray and I wear them more casually. That is not a problem - but holes in the fabric itself?

phillyesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I would not return a shirt that started to fray on the cuffs or collar after a couple of years or normal wear, but if any BB shirt of mine developed a hole where the sleeve meets the cuff, you bet I would bring it back - even after a few years. I have 10 year old BB shirts that I still wear and have held up fine. Others have started to fray and I wear them more casually. That is not a problem - but holes in the fabric itself?

Maybe I should bring it back. I still have some of the shirts -- they are relegated to "under the sweater" duty only now. I'd say that the shirts are maybe 2-3 years old at this point, but that the fraying started much earlier -- probably after about a year. I look at the number of wearings -- probably 20 or less, more than the length of time. This is mostly because I rotate the shirts.

Any others? Thoughts on bringing some of the shirts back? Should age of the shirt play a part, or just number of wearings?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads