• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

basic white Tee's

spicycho

Reaction score
My vote goes to uniqlo supima, those are the best in terms of fit/feel for the price. I also like the kirkland ones but they don't offer them in S.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have bought and worn a handful of white tees.

American Apparel 100% cotton are great until you wash them; then they pill up and the stitching in the sleeves frills a bit. However, the frills have not gotten worse for about a year now. I have owned the shirt for 2 years, and it's still completely wearable. I would only purchase it at a discount. They do not shrink IME.

Alternative Apparel shirts are better. They will shrink more in a machine wash on cold than other shirts, however after a wash they stay soft and smooth with no pilling. If you size one up it should not be a problem, I just size TTS for a personal style.

Everlane tees feel great wash after wash but suffer from a frilling of the bottom stitching and sleeve stitching. Both of my Everlane shirts (black and white) have stitching that is quite literally falling apart, and the seam is completely undone in places. They may have corrected this since I bought these shirts (~1.5 years ago)

My Taylor Stitch tee has been amazing. It's soft and supple and does not shrink or pill after a wash. The color stays very bright white. The issue with this shirt is that sizing tends to be larger than other tees, my "Small" fits like a "Small-medium". In my experience with their shirting this is true all around.

I would say best bang for your buck is Alternative Apparel. You can grab them for 8 bucks on ebay and if you size correctly you will end up with a wonderful basic t-shirt.

Thanks for this post! Just ordered a couple of Alternative Apparel tees and a Taylor Stitch v-neck based on what you wrote (and what I researched immediately after).

My best fit tee so far has been a size medium, white Banana Republic pima stretch cotton tee. Owned for a couple of years now and it's still as white as day one. And fits me almost perfectly (wish the arms were maybe 1 inch shorter and the length maybe 1 inch shorter).

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/brows...1&sem=false&sdReferer=https://www.google.com/

I'm 5'10" and weigh about 145-150.

Last edited:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Alternative Apparel shirts came in. I ordered from an eBay seller connected with shopblueco.com. Based on what you all have been saying, I must conclude that these shirts are counterfeit (no surprise at $8/a pop). No attached tags or branded packaging. Just the inner tags. The cotton is mediocre and too thin for use as anything but an undershirt and the stitching around the shoulder line is kind of squirly. The fit is a bit slim, which is cool but the cut overall is just completely blah. Maybe Alternative Apparrel shirts are just cheap looking? If not, eBay buyer beware.

That being said, not bad for 8 bucks.

Last edited:

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quite like the fabric of Everlane's tees. Worth the 15 bucks.

Can you provide a more in-depth analysis? I'm curious about them but most SFers say their tees slightly miss the mark.

Aiight, I'll bite. Before I got into Everlane, my go-to was J Crew's "slim broken-in tee", and before that I wore the American Apparel 2001 90% of the time with maybe a month or two of Alt. Apparel experimentation between the J Crew and AA phases.

Everlane's fabric is way nicer than the other three I mentioned, and though I haven't tried the white color, I can say the black and heather fabrics are quite soft with just the right thickness (thicker than Alt App and J Crew, thinner than the AA). Really comfy on the skin. Fit wise, Everlane fits about the same as J Crew with a wider neck opening and slightly more generous sleeves. Actually, I'd recommend the heather as a more practical alternative to the white. All dem speckles = 'visual interest', and collar dirt is hardly visible.

Haven't noticed problems with the stitching yet-- my biggest complaint is that, on some of the batches, they don't stitch down the seam allowance under the collar, causing the extra bit fabric to stick up and poke me in the chest. The effect is especially noticeable on the crewnecks, not so much on the Vs. But, then again, on other batches, they do include that second row of stitching, and it keeps the seam allowance secured nicely in place. That's the thing about Everlane. Like J Crew, Everlane's batches can vary wildly. Luckily it's easy to make a return if it doesn't work out. Good luck!

Last edited:

sillyboybmxer

Reaction score
I am a big white t wearer....its my primary shirt, I love jeans and white v-necks.
I have a slim figure, 5"10 , 155lbs, and my favorite have been Alfani brand found at Macys,
they are not square/boxy like lots of "under shirts" , very fitted in the arms and much softer than others

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads