• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour wax jacket, but which wax?

Lol1000

Reaction score
Hi guys,

can someone help me with finding the right wax for my Barbours? I bought a bottle of Granger Clothing Wax Cotton Care Spray, but I cannot find it anymore on Amazon. Granger was very good, as it looked awesome, but it didn´t need this major operation like the original Barbour wax with heating up the wax, sponge and so on.

I then bought several bottles of Collonil, but it is no wax at all. At least, it is not making the jacket have any optical effect, maybe it gets more water-proof.

Any experts on Granger Wax Spray?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

can someone help me with finding the right wax for my Barbours? I bought a bottle of Granger Clothing Wax Cotton Care Spray, but I cannot find it anymore on Amazon. Granger was very good, as it looked awesome, but it didn´t need this major operation like the original Barbour wax with heating up the wax, sponge and so on.

I then bought several bottles of Collonil, but it is no wax at all. At least, it is not making the jacket have any optical effect, maybe it gets more water-proof.

Any experts on Granger Wax Spray?

just get the Barbour wax.

Lol1000

Reaction score
Can any expert explain this?

The new Barbours come mostly in sylkoil, not in thornproof. But then Amazon I only find thornproof wax. Is that intended or is there a sepaprate sylkoil coating?

msimon

Reaction score

The new Barbours come mostly in sylkoil, not in thornproof. But then Amazon I only find thornproof wax. Is that intended or is there a sepaprate sylkoil coating?

Sylkoil is just a more napped fuzzy cotton that barbours uses, I believe it was the original fabric they used traditionally. Both the different fabrics still use the same thornproof wax. Except there dry wax finish which uses a dry bar.

Barbours explanations can be vague at times.

Traditional and original fabrics both have the thornproof wax finish.

Last edited:

msimon

Reaction score
Barbours original waxed cotton isn't there original fabric, it's the traditional sylkoil which was used first.

Nice work barbour.

Lol1000

Reaction score
so there is a thornproof cloth and a thornproof wax. but the latter one, i can use on sylkoil cloth?

msimon

Reaction score
so there is a thornproof cloth and a thornproof wax. but the latter one, i can use on sylkoil cloth?

It's the wax that creates the thornproof finish on both fabrics. The thornproof wax is used for both.

Lol1000

Reaction score
I bought an old Northumbria and I expect some rewaxing will be needed.

Quite a bit of confusion Barbour is creating with Thornproof and Sylkoil. I found another thread that clearly says these are differently manufactured cloths. I also had a Beaufort from 2002, which I replaced by a new one last year. The new one is much softer and doesn´t smell. Not a deal-breaker, but the feeling of sturdiness is definitely a bit weaker with the new one. However, I also remember that it took months with the old Beaufort until my fingers didn´t feel waxy after wearing it.

The Northumbria will arrive in two weeks. Will give it a good look before I decide what wax to use on it. The wax-spray I recommended above does not smell or create a shiny look, but is definitely waterproof btw.

DrewMill

Reaction score

To clarify this a little, I researched A LOT when shopping for my most recent jacket. Most Barbours are Sylkoil. I think only the mainline is available in Thornproof. The Bedale, Beaufort, and Border jackets. If they're called the "Classic", then they're Sylkoil, if not, then they're Thornproof. Ironic, since the Thornproof is the older style. From what I've read, the Thornproof ages better.

msimon

Reaction score
To clarify this a little, I researched A LOT when shopping for my most recent jacket. Most Barbours are Sylkoil. I think only the mainline is available in Thornproof. The Bedale, Beaufort, and Border jackets. If they're called the "Classic", then they're Sylkoil, if not, then they're Thornproof. Ironic, since the Thornproof is the older style. From what I've read, the Thornproof ages better.

They stopped making sylkoil at some point in favour for for what they call the thornproof waxed outer today. Then later re introduced it under the classic line, but its technically there original fabric.

Barbour needs to re organize its marketing naming schemes which at times make no sense, what we get is confused poeple.

DrewMill

Reaction score
They stopped making sylkoil at some point in favour for for what they call the thornproof waxed outer today. Then later re introduced it under the classic line, but its technically there original fabric.

Barbour needs to re organize its marketing naming schemes which at times make no sense, what we get is confused poeple.

Oh wow. I didn't know that. I had only seen that Thornproof came before Sylkoil. I guess it went Sylkoil > Thornproof > Sylkoil. Thanks!

msimon

Reaction score
Oh wow. I didn't know that. I had only seen that Thornproof came before Sylkoil. I guess it went Sylkoil > Thornproof > Sylkoil. Thanks!

Sylkoil has less mechanical finishing during a time when modern machinery was not around, I think they call it un shorn cotton. But it goes to show how old barbour has been around and by marketing there heritage to the same degree as aero leathers for example they could do alot better.

That heritage has become blurred by ill devised articles and influencers without prior knowledge to what there talking about, not to mention the absolutely shocking excuse of a website barboure uses.

Lol1000

Reaction score
So I got my Northumbria delivered, what a piece! It is definitely made of Thornproof, super hard coat. It is a completely different cloth compared to Sylkoil. In my memory my first Beaufort from 2002 was similarly hard, especially when the temperature dropped, but probably a tiny bit softer. I don´t think the modern Barbours have this, as it is probably not something the masses would like to go through.

Having now "experienced" different Barbours and different cloths, I see sort of two use-cases for myself, city vs. countryside/forrest-walks. The Sylkoil is very nice to have, it doesn´t smell, it is doesn´t stain or your fingers or other clothes, so I feel comfortable wearing it downtown.

The Thornproof cloth of the Northumbria needs really a purpose to be worn. It just screams farmer, hunter, forrest, cold rain, for which it is probably a really good solution. So when going for a weekend forrest stroll or watching a sports game in autumn, this seems like a good jacket.

One note on the used Northumbria: I was actually thinking to resell it immediately, as it seemed a bit rough. It´s a bit too big, very hard and also smelly. I cannot really tell if it is the wax that smells or some barn smell, where it was hanging before. And it definitely looks out of place in a city restaurant or museum. However, then I wore it this morning, when it was really cold and I have to say, it is a fine piece for crappy weather. I love how it just creates this pleasant body-warmth without being too warm or boxy. It also covers my upper legs perfectly, so the cold air and rain just don´t get to me. I haven´t fully decided yet, whether to keep it or not, as I have just ordered another Barbour, the Border, but one size smaller. (The Northumbria does not exist in c34, only36)

Pics will follow.

msimon

Reaction score
So I got my Northumbria delivered, what a piece! It is definitely made of Thornproof, super hard coat. It is a completely different cloth compared to Sylkoil. In my memory my first Beaufort from 2002 was similarly hard, especially when the temperature dropped, but probably a tiny bit softer. I don´t think the modern Barbours have this, as it is probably not something the masses would like to go through.

Having now "experienced" different Barbours and different cloths, I see sort of two use-cases for myself, city vs. countryside/forrest-walks. The Sylkoil is very nice to have, it doesn´t smell, it is doesn´t stain or your fingers or other clothes, so I feel comfortable wearing it downtown.

The Thornproof cloth of the Northumbria needs really a purpose to be worn. It just screams farmer, hunter, forrest, cold rain, for which it is probably a really good solution. So when going for a weekend forrest stroll or watching a sports game in autumn, this seems like a good jacket.

One note on the used Northumbria: I was actually thinking to resell it immediately, as it seemed a bit rough. It´s a bit too big, very hard and also smelly. I cannot really tell if it is the wax that smells or some barn smell, where it was hanging before. And it definitely looks out of place in a city restaurant or museum. However, then I wore it this morning, when it was really cold and I have to say, it is a fine piece for crappy weather. I love how it just creates this pleasant body-warmth without being too warm or boxy. It also covers my upper legs perfectly, so the cold air and rain just don´t get to me. I haven´t fully decided yet, whether to keep it or not, as I have just ordered another Barbour, the Border, but one size smaller. (The Northumbria does not exist in c34, only36)

Pics will follow.

Funny you should say this, I was once asked if I was a farmer with my bedale original. The cloth on the thornproof cloths age much better then Sylkoil though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads