• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bar Etiquette:

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Why is a squirrel drinking beer?

Its Guinness. Why wouldn't he drink Guinness?

K

rzarector36

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
^ WTF is with idiots who dont read the thread and make generic statements?

You can always offer to "buy her a drink". She prob wont actually drink it then and there, but may take the cash out of the till for it later. Gets around the class issue as you arent giving her cash.

Or if she hooks you up you can ask her to sit down with you & your date (or roll to the next bar with you) where you buy her a drink.

K

I am a server myself, I always tip no matter who the person is. I know Europeans don't understand.
devil.gif

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, we just pay our staff properly and guests don't feel the need to flaunt any money they have.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I personally hate tipping, I would prefer that restaurants and bars would simply charge a price that allowed their staff a reasonable wage.

I certainly DO tip, but overall I'm not a fran, especially for drinks when paying a 300-600% markup over liquor store retail prices and 'service' consists of popping the cap off and taking my CC.

Bartenders that are worth tipping are those that are great at making interesting conversation when there arent alot of people at the bar, say you're waiting on your friend to show up or you're just out for lunch.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rzarector36
I am a server myself, I always tip no matter who the person is. I know Europeans don't understand.
devil.gif

I'm an American (who bartended and waited tables through university), I live in England now.

You sound like a **** who knows nothing about other cultures or the outside world. It also appears that you are uneducated.

You will do well in the world.

K

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
I went to a bar with a friend who knew the girl behind the bar. She hooked us up with free drinks the entire night and got a tip at the end of the night that probably would have equaled what we would have payed for the drinks anyways. We just felt it was right.

I was in the almost sams situation. He friend(who works at the bar) told us that she would hook us up all night. I left a good tip at the end! I always tip...unless I get **** service!

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rzarector36
Your an asshole if you do not tip.

i am an asshole, but i am not asshole because i do not tip.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
I was in the almost sams situation. He friend(who works at the bar) told us that she would hook us up all night. I left a good tip at the end! I always tip...unless I get **** service!

It is great getting that unparalleled service where the bartender is asking you if you want drinks and is bringing the good stuff from out the back instead of the typical waiting in line and trying to make eye contact to score a drink next to the league of meatheads.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by insomb
brits are notorious for not tipping. i agree with cazzzzidy.

What's your point?

This situation is set in Britain.

K

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tip friends and people I know better than I normally would, at least double.

When I've been behind the bar, friends usually do the same to me, though I'll always try and stop them.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Wait, so if you order a pint of beer in the UK at a pub, you pay the exact cost, it is not expected protocol to tip the bartender? (eg: In the USA, you give $1 tip for each $5 beer)

Yea, so I would normally tack on a $1+ in the US for a beer for tip, but in the UK you wouldn't

I may offer to "buy" the bartender a drink every few rounds which they can take in drink or in cash, but a US style tip would be not be appropriate in most places.

K

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Wait, so if you order a pint of beer in the UK at a pub, you pay the exact cost, it is not expected protocol to tip the bartender? (eg: In the USA, you give $1 tip for each $5 beer)

i can respect differetn customs, but why the 20% surcharge for only taking a top of a bottle ad pourit into a glass. a cocktail i may understand, but the surcharge of 205 for 25 seconds of work?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads