• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bag stuff

HermesGuy

Reaction score
L.L. Bean has been making them for several hundred years (?? LOL) and they are the common bag of those in the boating world. When you think about it, a supermarket plastic bag is a tote.
Personally, I find all those LV and Gucci shoulder/messenger bags to be the cheapest, gayest things going. What trash.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Logoed messenger bags scream "gay" to me. Especially egregious would be something like a D&G messenger bag with a huge D&G on it.

Some Prada ones can be acceptable, but they also seem to be very much a "gay" thing. Perhaps, Prada is stealth gay; Larry Craig probably had a Prada nylon bag.

HermesGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Logoed messenger bags scream "gay" to me. Especially egregious would be something like a D&G messenger bag with a huge D&G on it.

Some Prada ones can be acceptable, but they also seem to be very much a "gay" thing. Perhaps, Prada is stealth gay; Larry Craig probably had a Prada nylon bag.

NO logo on my Nitz bag. Seems you pay more these days for no logo.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some logos can be interesting as a design element; as well, some logoed things can be interesting in an ironic kitschy way. Take MCM. That brand is so dated, it's in.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Edward Green screams FOGEY to me.
Fogey is the new "gay."
wink.gif
Anyway, I love tote styled bags and think it's just social conditioning that more men don't use them and are "scared" of them. What really is the difference between a briefcase and a simple tote... except that the tote is larger and more useful (and it holds more?) Here are a couple of mine (from left top, Valextra, United Arrows, Prada, Valentino Garavani). I've also got a cream lambskin Prada tote (with no logoes or triangles), and a few Lambertson Truex.
DSC02350.jpg
As for LV totes; I quite like the Sac Plat in black or coffee-bean brown Epi... it's very simple, minimal, and holds up well (something like the one below):
EpiSac.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MCM was bought by a Korean conglomerate and they are attempting to reintroduce the brand.

Colette had a few collaboration pieces, but frankly, the attempt seems futile. They are trying to make it more minimalist, but I think its strength was in its excessive obviousness.

HermesGuy

Reaction score
It seems as if the masses love logos and those that want luxury want no logo whatsoever. I personally would rather own one perfectly made bag than several of inferior quality. The other issue is that most bags are not very utilitarian, IMO. I've owned several Hermes bags and BV bags and each came with it's own set of issues. At that price point they should function perfectly. My Peter Nitz bag is perfect....at a price.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
MCM was bought by a Korean conglomerate and they are attempting to reintroduce the brand.

Colette had a few collaboration pieces, but frankly, the attempt seems futile. They are trying to make it more minimalist, but I think its strength was in its excessive obviousness.

There are TONS of old, German made, MCM in Japanese recycle shops at very cheap prices. The stuff is hideous, but as you mentioned, in a kitchy way. I almost picked up one of their old coated canvas wallets in that tacky ochre-yellow-mud color and black MCM logo with terracotta lining and a big gold plaque on the inside.

I passed, just because I never would have used it... but it was hilarious...

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that a lot of the newer tote bags for men (or unisex bags) are actually pretty appealing in concept and appearance, but I would feel like a poser for carrying one, simply because I can't imagine needing to carry that much stuff around with me on a day-to-day basis. Unless you guys are toting books and magazines, what do you fill these bags with? I typically carry nothing more than keys, money, and phone, and so I have no need for even a tiny bag, much less a tote.

HermesGuy

Reaction score
If you live/work in the city you need several things. Phone/wallet/agenda/keys/phone/writing instrument/eyeglasses/sunglasses/paper/business cards

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of the MCM bags I've seen at bloomingdales are hideous. Funnily enough, many men carry tote bags in Washington DC, albeit, generic canvas ones. I see it as an improvement.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads