• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad news for those who went bespoke....

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would imagine this would only affect those with high arches that flatten out with age making the foot longer and wider. Good thing my feet are already flat!

Last edited:

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Dr. Steven Pribut, a podiatrist at George Washington University Medical Center in Washington, D.C., estimates that some people over the age of 40 can gain half a shoe size every 10 years.

OP, do you not see the problem with universal application of this?
Besides, we're all going to be living in robot bodies in fifteen years anyway. Lighten up.

Bespoke robot bodies?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ever heard of shoe stretching?

sure. Have you ever seen one stretch half a size in length?

In fact, I'd argue that many lace up shoes hardly stretch much at all (without the use of a mechanical stretching device)

Last edited:

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would imagine this would only affect those with high arches that flatten out with age making the foot longer and wider. Good thing my feet are already flat!
oh come on don't try to make yourself feel better for having flat feet. i tells yous having arched feet rocks! the benefits definitely outweigh the disadvantage of replacing your shoes every 10 years.

Last edited:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

iroh sounds remarkably like Reevolving.

Are you sure about that? I didn't see any mention of "cognitive dissonance", friends with different valuations of shoes, or any man-tit pictures.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
trolling aside this is interesting issue. My assumptions is that feet flattening happens because of sedentary and wearing ill fitting shoes. I have seen several podiatrist and they all recommended that I spend as much time as possible without shoes.

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My feet have actually shrunk half a size over the last ten years. Maybe I should take cold showers and air dry as it may be the hot water and tumble dryer that is shrinking them.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My feet have actually shrunk half a size over the last ten years. Maybe I should take cold showers and air dry as it may be the hot water and tumble dryer that is shrinking them.

Mine too. After wearing a 10.5 for most of my life, I now wear a 9.5 or 10 in most shoes. I actually tried a C&J Sydney loafer in 9 that fit perfectly - never thought I'd see the day when I could wear a single digit size!

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my Twenties I was an 8 1/2 EE, by the end of my Thirties I was a 10 in most brands. Now after losing 30 pounds I'm a 9 1/2 EE or 10.

And yes, I recently tried on a pair of Dehners I had made years ago. Too tight. As are the brand new replacement pair of Adidas Officials I held on to for years.

cincydavid

Reaction score
10.5D when I was 21 and bought my first AE's. I'm 45 now, and some 12D's are too short in length..I'm 20 Lbs heavier too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads