• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Backpacks in school?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
Not really a duffel bag, I don't know what to call it.

IMG_0232-1.jpg

IMG_0233-1.jpg

You put your stuff on the floor most of the time so as long as your bag can hold all the books then you don't need a backpack.

There's no way that would carry my books for even half a day.

Originally Posted by wmmk
Anyone have recommendations for good looking backpacks?

Tan/khaki canvas with leather straps would be pretty badass. Sort of like the Filson rucksack, but cheaper and bigger (and thus not as rugged or well made, but I'm ok with that).

I'm currently using my Sierra Club backpack, which looks like that, but I'd really like to upgrade to something more durable.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic

I'm currently using my Sierra Club backpack, which looks like that, but I'd really like to upgrade to something more durable.

Looks good. Do you have any photos of the inside or the shoulder straps? The Sierra Club website doesn't show those.

Mr. White

Reaction score
I use an American Tourister backpack with wheels and retractable handle. $25 at TJ Maxx. I wheel it except on wet days. It has a cloth handle at the top, so I can carry it out of class or up stairs. The back straps are detachable and hide in a sleeve.

Most teachers use luggage carts with foldable plastic cartons bungeed on. About one in fifty students and about one in twenty teachers use a wheeled backpack.

The first time I saw wheeled luggage was with a Japanese tourist at an airport. Nowadays, virtually all luggage is wheeled. Wheeled backpacks are catching on the same way.

I'm in Robert's generation. Kids carried books under their arms, just as their parents did before them. Except I'm sure that in my father's schooldays, students tied a strap around them. My father left his chalkboard in his desk. I carried notebooks with me. My schools had lockers, but it was too much bother using it except at the start and end of the day.

Scientific calculators just came out when I was in high school. Only the rich kids who drove from the suburbs to honors classes had 'em. Fortunately, the books were pre-calculator, with square root of 3 over 2 and the like.

The first time I went up North I saw kids wearing backpacks. Looked very strange to me, as did the Catholic school uniforms everywhere. What was wrong with their public schools? What was wrong with their society that they wanted their public schools to be decaying holes of poverty and misery?

Backpacks are functional, but they are also a way to advertise that your family can afford them. Stylish messenger bags of leather--even more so.

brohymn

Reaction score
In the US, backpacks are the norm. There's just a lot more utility in a backpack and in our culture it's not really considered an article of fashion. I mean, sure there are like volcom backpacks for boys and polka dot backpacks for girls, but nobody would ever judge you for using a regular backpack.

Kids these days hold a lot more books than previous generations. I remember in middle school/high school my backpack was filled to the brim and that **** weighed like 40 pounds. There are studies out there that show a large increase in the number of back problems for young children due to heavy backpacks and stuff.

Exit English

Reaction score
About 6 years ago when I was still in high school I made a backpack out of Duct Tape. I was just that cool.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pelikan2
Exactly. My Crim Pro book alone is 1600 pages. Add to that my bankruptcy text and 900-page statutory supplement, my conflict of laws text, my Macbook and anything else I need throughout the day - and a backpack really is the only practical solution.

I suggest something roomy like this:

102_1378.jpg

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the most neutral Fjallraven Kanken color to get? Black? Grey? Brown? Khaki? I'm thinking black will be too boring. Maybe grey?

edit: How much do those LV suitcases go for anyways? Something like 50k for a set?

sharks9022

Reaction score
America is the best country in the world, obviously we wear backpacks.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that there is nothing wrong with wearing a backpack especially for high school. Boys and girls. Sometimes girls will use a tote or something on her less books days but backpacks are the most practical and if you used a messenger bag you would look very pretentious. (One guy I know looks like a complete ************* because his face was ugly as hell and one day he came to school in tight ass jeans that complete do not fit his style and some ugly plaid shirt and finished the look off with a messenger bag carried parallel to his body).

Backpacks are fine. A backpack with a suit I agree is a look that only a few people can pull off. It's usually those people that wear Wayfarers as their normal glasses as part of that geeky dorky look that's kinda cool right now.

Ozarks

Reaction score
I miss backpacks some days. I broke my collarbone a few years back and now have this amazingly large mass of bone where it healed (twice
smile.gif
), so a strap on that side isn't comfortable. Distributing the weight on both shoulders, and having it centered on your back is a lote more comfortable.

Mulch Diggums

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
I don't see how a law student could survive without a backpack. Maybe Europeans don't have to study very hard?
European (University of Stockholm law student) here. Most europeans study hard (It's true!) and I'm wearing a backpack. I guess it's not very popular (most people use messengerbags or duffels) but it's the best way to carry around your books without getting serious problem with your shoulder and/or back in the long run. After all it's 4 and a half year of studying in Sweden and if you carry most of your books around every day in a duffel or messenger for that period you're asking for problems. A lot of my friends dont even bring all the books that they need for a day, because it's too heavy or dosn't fit in to their duffels (but somehow they manage to write good exams so)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads