• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoffeeDudeGuy

Reaction score
Anyway speaking of GJ Cleverlys. Kingsman. I have such a man crush on Colin Firth in that film. Relevant because Firth's character wears them among all the other quintessential Britishness.

I got a bit annoyed when he was describing "Oxfords". Still, I enjoyed the film. Seems to coincide with a resurgence in DB jackets, unless it's just my Baader-Meinhof cognitive bias at work.

dammit

Reaction score
I'm considering buying some formal dinnerwear, like a proper tuxedo/dinner suit, or whatever you want to call it. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should look, in Sydney conservative business dress or surrounding areas? I want to pick up something real cheap - but obviously not so cheap it screams poor/cheap quality.....(aka Lowes suit Ewwww!).

I have no idea exactly what I am looking to buy really, but have just met myself a nice lady and want to take her out for a very fancy dinner, plus some of my friends are getting married and having black tie dress codes, so being 30 years old I thought this is a good "staple" to finally try and introduce into my wardrobe?

I guess this will be hard to balance but not something that walking down the street in the city everyone thinks this guy is way over dressed/out of place, and also formal/sharp looking that people think 'wow he scrubs up nice'. Should I just be buying a formal evening shirt from somewhere like TM Lewin, then finding the tuxedo suit somewhere like Myer?

I saw these jackets online under clearance - $250 ea? Not sure if I can find the matching pants somewhere or if you even need exact matching brand pants for tuxedos (I am assuming you do). I normally take a 40L jacket though so these might not be long enough to cover my butt.

http://www.myer.com.au/shop/mystore/men/clearance-mens/brent-wilson-214698610--1#

Thoughts?

http://www.tmlewin.com.au/on/demand...en_AU/GeoShow-Search?cgid=Mens-Evening-Shirts

Last edited:

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm considering buying some formal dinnerwear, like a proper tuxedo/dinner suit, or whatever you want to call it. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should look, in Sydney conservative business dress or surrounding areas? I want to pick up something real cheap - but obviously not so cheap it screams poor/cheap quality.....(aka Lowes suit Ewwww!).

I have no idea exactly what I am looking to buy really, but have just met myself a nice lady and want to take her out for a very fancy dinner, plus some of my friends are getting married and having black tie dress codes, so being 30 years old I thought this is a good "staple" to finally try and introduce into my wardrobe?

I guess this will be hard to balance but not something that walking down the street in the city everyone thinks this guy is way over dressed/out of place, and also formal/sharp looking that people think 'wow he scrubs up nice'. Should I just be buying a formal evening shirt from somewhere like TM Lewin, then finding the tuxedo suit somewhere like Myer?

I saw these jackets online under clearance - $250 ea? Not sure if I can find the matching pants somewhere or if you even need exact matching brand pants for tuxedos (I am assuming you do). I normally take a 40L jacket though so these might not be long enough to cover my butt.

http://www.myer.com.au/shop/mystore/men/clearance-mens/brent-wilson-214698610--1#

Thoughts?

http://www.tmlewin.com.au/on/demand...en_AU/GeoShow-Search?cgid=Mens-Evening-Shirts

Mate start by taking a look here for all the black tie details: http://www.blacktieguide.com/

Unless you are going to a black tie event, strutting down the street in a tuxedo and bow tie will make you look over dressed. Walking into a restaurant with your lady for dinner wearing a tuxedo will make you look overdressed.

If you want to look sharp for dinners and other general night time events go for a nice navy suit.

On the other hand, if you are set on a tuxedo MJ have a few that look a good deal better, but are costlier, than the one from Myer.

http://www.mjbale.com/mens-suits/tuxedos

dammit

Reaction score
Yeah so an upcoming wedding I know will be black tie, I want to take my lady to a nice restaurant like Park Hyatt sydney or something in circular quay, and work events such as black tie gala dinner/balls are coming up too. This Brent Wilson jacket on sale, even at the Brent Wilson shop they don't seem to have pants which are part of the "package" of it, do you normally buy the pants separate brand/style?

Wearing a navy suit, I could do that but I just feel like I'm dressed for another day at work, unless you mean wearing an evening shirt or something with it instead?

I kind of just thought it'd be a good thing to have in the wardrobe for the future, plus if I organise this fancy dinner etc..

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the right reason to wear suits is to look sharp and smart, present the best semi-formal image of yourself to the people around you. A lot of people wear suits for the sake of work, and can't wait to get out of suits every moment they can; these people tend to have pretty average suits at best.

Definitely agree with wearing tux when the occasion calls for it, but I personally wouldn't wear a tux to dinner unless it's a black tie event.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah as wurger says, unless it's a black tie event, don't wear black tie. A dinner jacket is not something you are meant to get a lot of wear out of.

If a wedding/awards night invite says black tie, then go for it. But if you go to the Park Hyatt for dinner in a tuxedo I guarantee you within 2 minutes someone will ask you to take their drinks order. It's a hotel restaurant, not Downton Abbey.

Please disregard my advice if you are a genuine eccentric - not enough of them around anymore.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Keep in mind that the right reason to wear suits is to look sharp and smart, present the best semi-formal image of yourself to the people around you. A lot of people wear suits for the sake of work, and can't wait to get out of suits every moment they can; these people tend to have pretty average suits at best.

Definitely agree with wearing tux when the occasion calls for it, but I personally wouldn't wear a tux to dinner unless it's a black tie event.

Onesies > suits

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been able to justify a tux. Most events which are labelled 'black tie' really mean 'wear a suit' anyway.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
I've never been able to justify a tux. Most events which are labelled 'black tie' really mean 'wear a suit' anyway.
In Australia, most men take "black tie" to mean "wear a black tie"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads