• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Do you ever visit Japan to see your in-laws, ovlov?

If so, you should look at picking up some ties when you're there. I've seen some absolutely fabulous printed silk ties by Marinella, Finamore, Holliday & Brown and other brands at very good prices (particularly at sale time) in department stores like Isetan and Matsuya and also in stores like Beams.

That's in Tokyo, though - I'm not sure about other areas.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sick of waiting for Gianni. I need (want) new ties now! Anyone considering making any purchases from EG Cappelli or similar anytime soon? The fixed shipping costs make buying one or two ties really unappealing, but if I had enough for 4 or 5 I'd be looking at splurging on shoes instead ;)...

Might be tempted by something from their outlet.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are interested in relatively inexpensive, high quality, printed silk ties and you're not flying to Japan in the near future, have a look at Malford of London, as he is having a sale at present and offering 30% off orders over GBP100. I think that there might even have been a code around for 40% off orders over GBP200, as well.

Malford's a small business, so he's not registered for VAT and thus there's no VAT removed from his prices but his prices are so good that it's worthwhile looking at his stock anyway.

Here's a link to his Marinella ties:

http://www.malfordoflondon.com/sear...way=desc&search_query=marinella&submit_search=

Last edited:

ovlov

Reaction score

^ Do you ever visit Japan to see your in-laws, ovlov?

If so, you should look at picking up some ties when you're there. I've seen some absolutely fabulous printed silk ties by Marinella, Finamore, Holliday & Brown and other brands at very good prices (particularly at sale time) in department stores like Isetan and Matsuya and also in stores like Beams.

That's in Tokyo, though - I'm not sure about other areas.

Might be visiting the in-laws over Christmas so ill definitely be checking the marinella store out then. But that's still a fair while off.

In July I've got leave from the mrs to take a half day each in Oslo and, more importantly, Budapest to do some shopping. Pretty keen to try out the Vass store . I have no idea if there is anything exciting in Oslo but I presume a country that rich would have some nich stores for the sartorially inclined.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might be visiting the in-laws over Christmas so ill definitely be checking the marinella store out then. But that's still a fair while off.

In July I've got leave from the mrs to take a half day each in Oslo and, more importantly, Budapest to do some shopping. Pretty keen to try out the Vass store . I have no idea if there is anything exciting in Oslo but I presume a country that rich would have some nich stores for the sartorially inclined.

The Marinella store in Tokyo is great - it's in Akasaka, in central Tokyo. It's got some small leathergoods, scarves and umbrellas in addition to printed, woven and knitted ties.

However, you can also get Marinella at Isetan and some other department stores and it's those stores that tend to have the best prices during sales.

The really good thing about shopping in Japan is that when Japanese stores have sales, they have genuine sales, where the regular stuff is put on sale at a 50% discount. A lot of Japanese businesses also often offer "fuku-bukuro" or "good fortune bags" at New Year's, where you can usually get a few items at a very substantial discount (although you don't know what the items actually are).

Budapest should be great, and it's good that you'll be able to try on shoes in person so that you'll be sure to get shoes that take your width and instep into account. I've long wanted to visit Hungary, and Budapest sounds like a lovely city.

Last edited:

Tano

Reaction score
Hi guys
I just recieved my group order from Meermin for Gold Museum Calf and the front toe of one shoe looks pretty bad. I cant recall if it arrived like this or its scratched off (i didnt pay any attention and just put them on). I have only worn them for a few hours around the office so i tell what happened. Is this a poor tanning job or is it easily fixed? Or can i contact Meermin for a replacement?[ATTACHMENT=10958]20150423_133411.jpg (234k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Tano

Reaction score
I didnt look, it was dark in the morning. thats my mistake.

Does it look like i could have scratched these shoes or just a bad tanning job?

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didnt look, it was dark in the morning. thats my mistake.

Does it look like i could have scratched these shoes or just a bad tanning job?
It does not look like you have scratched them, based purely on observing the pattern. There are no lateral scratch lines or such. The marks looked like they have been sandpapered off. If you have been dragging your toes on tarmac, you will also see scratches on the welt, which are absent in this case.

Perhaps you have been too engrossed in playing twinky toes under the table during morning meeting with that lovely brunette from accounts.

Tano

Reaction score
No, it was a blonde from HR.

I sent them an email with the picture. I dont mind paying for the repair if i caused the scratch but i cant see how walking on carpet could have done that. Additionally it feels smooth over that mark like it was badly tanned... but then again you would think their QC would have easily spotted it if that was the case.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it was a blonde from HR.

I sent them an email with the picture. I dont mind paying for the repair if i caused the scratch but i cant see how walking on carpet could have done that. Additionally it feels smooth over that mark like it was badly tanned... but then again you would think their QC would have easily spotted it if that was the case.

I thought the blonde was lesbian. Darn...

Anyhow, it is possible that the factory has covered up the defect with colored cream/wax, and the layer has just dropped off.

Best of luck in any case. I think it can be fixed with a little bit of paint and burnishing, so not quite end of the world.

jas0nt

Reaction score
Meermin's QC team may be staffed by cataract sufferers but their after sales support isn't terrible. They should be able to offer you a remedy. Email them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads