• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we ever going to get a band as good as The Velvet Underground again?

ovlov

Reaction score

Thanks for the info guys

Looks like Uniqlo doesn't sell wool socks, at least nothing I could see online.

Viccel has some decent pricing with 20% off. The 100% merino wool socks only come in over-the-calf (OTC) while the merino/silk (70/30) socks come in mid calf and OTC but only in 3 plain colours. Mid calf merino/silk socks around $23 AUD per pair with the discount. I feel OTC is a bit too hot to be used most of the year in Brisbane

Checking out Pantherella right now... obviously more expensive but looks good. How long might these last if I'm on my feet most of the day (going to be working in hospital)?

Any other options?

If you're looking to stock up . A guy called "selvedged" sells a pretty wide range of falke on the b/s forums. Not sure if he has pure wool but I got some wool/cashmere/silk/somethingelse boot socks from him that work a treat. Prices are pretty cheap for the quality you get but shipping eats into most of the savings unless you buy several pairs.

BananaKing

Reaction score
I just ordered 5 pairs of Pantherella mid calf merino/nylon (70/30) socks from Woods of Shropshire. Ended up being $22 per pair including shipping as a couple of the pairs were discounted. Seems reasonable to me if they're quality.

I'll report back once they arrive and I've given them a run.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sydney Easter Saturday I think I'm in the underworld . Went to BB POW suit half price just a fraction too small at 46 no 48. Now being the pack mule for Mrs GF while she is shopping in DJ's.

I fear my plastic is in for a beating.

Only positive the charming young woman at the TF counter gave me some interesting samples.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just ordered 5 pairs of Pantherella mid calf merino/nylon (70/30) socks from Woods of Shropshire. Ended up being $22 per pair including shipping as a couple of the pairs were discounted. Seems reasonable to me if they're quality.

I'll report back once they arrive and I've given them a run.

I buy all my Pantherella socks from them. Quality is very high, mine are still walking strong.

Yowzer

Reaction score
Timely post. Are there other online options (with a large enough range) than Woods for Pantherellas? The only in Briz is DJs but the range isn't big.

acinod

Reaction score
Aunty giving me money to buy some dress shoes to wear to her wedding. My role is to open the door and it's good luck to wear new shoes. Budget is only $200-$300 though so I figured I wouldn't be able to get anything of good enough quality locally here in AUS. Thinking my best bet were a pair of RM Williams seconds for $275 but there's none in my size at the DFO. Any ideas on other pair of dress shoes I can get for this budget?

jas0nt

Reaction score

Aunty giving me money to buy some dress shoes to wear to her wedding. My role is to open the door and it's good luck to wear new shoes. Budget is only $200-$300 though so I figured I wouldn't be able to get anything of good enough quality locally here in AUS. Thinking my best bet were a pair of RM Williams seconds for $275 but there's none in my size at the DFO. Any ideas on other pair of dress shoes I can get for this budget?

Loake 1880's fit your budget perfectly.

Robinsons Shoes - 25% off and free shipping over 150GBP, bringing 1880's to $257 shipped. Code is BDAY61.

Use the remaining $43 to buy some shoe trees, a tin of polish and a jar of shoe conditioner lotion - eBay is a good bet and Saphir is a good brand.

Last edited:

Yowzer

Reaction score
You can do better than RM Williams (if you're thinking of a boot). With that budget the choices would be limited in Melbourne retail for a new 'good' shoe but have you taken a look at styles yet?

if you're able to shop online, have a look at Herring's sales, such as Loakes where several models are usually on sale (this is one example which isn't the 1880 range but as a starter shoe it looks pretty good http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=7&shoeid=7485). Of course, since you're dipping into the world of dress shoes, you're going to have to learn about lasts and to select one which fits you. If you can stretch it to a Loake 1880 as @jas0nt said, the Capital last is quite forgiving and is a good starting point.

Since you're in Melbourne, may be time to pay a visit to Beggar Man Thief in the city, have a look at styles and the variety of dress shoes. They stock Loakes and you may even find one on sale/special if you're lucky! A good place to try a few on and determine a size and last (and width) which fits. Have fun shopping and good luck.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can do better than RM Williams (if you're thinking of a boot). With that budget the choices would be limited in Melbourne retail for a new 'good' shoe but have you taken a look at styles yet?

if you're able to shop online, have a look at Herring's sales, such as Loakes where several models are usually on sale (this is one example which isn't the 1880 range but as a starter shoe it looks pretty good  http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=7&shoeid=7485). Of course, since you're dipping into the world of dress shoes, you're going to have to learn about lasts and to select one which fits you. If you can stretch it to a Loake 1880 as @jas0nt
 said, the Capital last is quite forgiving and is a good starting point.

Since you're in Melbourne, may be time to pay a visit to Beggar Man Thief in the city, have a look at styles and the variety of dress shoes. They stock Loakes and you may even find one on sale/special if you're lucky! A good place to try a few on and determine a size and last (and width) which fits. Have fun shopping and good luck.

Someone mentioned Beggar Man Thief went under.

On the good old RM Williams, I did not know LV bought half of them which is a bit sad really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads