• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He ran Nareen as a B and B for a while in retirement.

Mate of mine took his future misses there.

I still think he's going to hell, but they might give him a deckchair and a drink with a little umbrella in it so he can enjoy the warmth.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He won't go to hell because of his post PM acts of redemption.

This is true. I didn't get the opportunity to cast judgement in 1975, but I appreciate him for his stance on refugees - particularly towards the Vietnamese during the war.

One day our nation will look back on our treatment of refugees with great shame. This paragraph sums up Malcolm's character towards the end of his days, of which I greatly admire:

Just last month he criticised current Prime Minister Tony Abbott over the government’s response to the Human Rights Commission report.
Referring to the Forgotten Children report, Mr Fraser said Mr Abbott could have handled the issue very differently.
“If the government had wanted to handle the matter sensibly, they would have said they recognise there have been abuses,”

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He wasn't afraid of 'boats'.

And I think you mean that one day we will look back on our current treatment of refugees with shame.

We have welcomed many refugees to this country in the past without the demented rage and fear that seems to occur these days.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One day our nation will look back on our treatment of refugees with great shame. This paragraph sums up Malcolm's character towards the end of his days, of which I greatly admire:

Just last month he criticised current Prime Minister Tony Abbott over the government’s response to the Human Rights Commission report.
Referring to the Forgotten Children report, Mr Fraser said Mr Abbott could have handled the issue very differently.
“If the government had wanted to handle the matter sensibly, they would have said they recognise there have been abuses,”

I agree. It's one thing to disagree with a report, but to shoot the messenger (the President of the HRC) instead of responding to the substance of the report was foolish and, in my opinion, political folly. Brandis and Abbott's behaviour was reprehensible.

It would have been far more sensible for the government to have stated that it disagreed with the report and to then have argued that whilst it's regrettable than children to remain in detention, the number is now much lower than it was etc etc.

The issue of refugees is clearly a complex one. There are those who are very genuine, and those who are not. Unfortunately, despite it being a very complex issue, our current political discourse over the past several governments has reduced it to a very black and white issue, which is extremely regrettable.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It would have been far more sensible for the government to have stated that it disagreed with the report and to then have argued that whilst it's regrettable than children to remain in detention, the number is now much lower than it was etc etc.

A person of intellect and conviction would have done this standing side by side with the author of the report.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the Abbott government's response to the HRC's report on children in detention, I was particularly impressed by what a marvellous coincidence it was that the Secretary of the AG's department, Chris Moraitis, just happened to misplace his notebook whilst on an overseas trip.

That was, of course, the very same notebook that would have contained notes of his meeting with Professor Triggs, the President of the HRC.

Of course, I'd never suggest in any way, shape, or form that public servants might try to get around inconvenient FoI and Right to Information requests by misplacing or "losing" documents. Heaven forfend that the merest possibility of such a thing being done would even be considered.

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Fraser taking to the grave whatever the CIA told him before they got their man Kerr to sack Whitlam

boff

Reaction score
I've been getting some tempting spam from George and King recently, and being close their Sydney showroom I am thinking of having a go at their "bespoke" service.
I think I'm looking at $1,200 to $1,700 depending on cloth. Fully canvassed but I doubt it's your own pattern hence putting bespoke in quotes.

Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with them?

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds dodgy, I'd rather save my money and go with SS/PJT or OH.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He wasn't afraid of 'boats'.

We have welcomed many refugees to this country in the past without the demented rage and fear that seems to occur these days.

They have yet to integrate via the food process.

Food is the way to gain cultural acceptance in this country.(sigh)

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been getting some tempting spam from George and King recently, and being close their Sydney showroom I am thinking of having a go at their "bespoke" service.
I think I'm looking at $1,200 to $1,700 depending on cloth. Fully canvassed but I doubt it's your own pattern hence putting bespoke in quotes.

Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with them?
Hey boff, long time no see. I myself am deciding whether to go to Herman Brothers in Burwood. The cloth selection is decent. The work is done overseas (likely China, but did not ask out of politeness), but alterations are done locally. Pictures look okay, and Herman is receptive to ideas. 2 to 3 fittings. Thinking of doing just a basic navy light construction soft shoulders etc ala PJ.

Also BTW, if you are sick of your Slumberhouse Jeke, I will take it off your hands!

Last edited:

crappbag

Reaction score
I popped into Herman Bros last week for a fitting. Good cloth selection, and makes overcoats which should be useful for the coming winter.

Decided on a light weight casual navy suit. Minimal shoulder padding, patch pockets, quarter lined.

5 weeks till we see the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads