• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

oncentrelink

Reaction score
Tobacco Vanille. Opens with strong rich sweet vanilla top notes. But after 15-20 mins all I get is a clove assault.

Anyone found this? Would be good to hear some first hand reviews of the dry down on someone else's skin.

Longevity huge, albeit clove longevity.

Gilmour

Reaction score
What he said.

Also, get a stiff horsehair brush together with an old nylon stocking and then:
  1. Wipe down the shoes with a slightly damp (not wet cloth)
  2. Brush each shoe rapidly all over for a couple of minutes (they'll get a lustre at this point)
  3. Buff with the nylon stocking for the final shine

Thanks for the input guys
Makes sense to use a horse hair brush on a horses ass.

Thanks All, cant wait for the boots I hope they fit
uhoh.gif

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tobacco Vanille. Opens with strong rich sweet vanilla top notes. But after 15-20 mins all I get is a clove assault.

Anyone found this? Would be good to hear some first hand reviews of the dry down on someone else's skin.

Longevity huge, albeit clove longevity.

I'm wearing TV today. Yes, the vanilla disappears fairly quickly but the tobacco remains. I suppose you could call the dry down a "clove" scent but are you sure it's not tobacco?

I sometimes layer TV with Amber Absolute to create some extra complexity. It can be a bit overwhelming for the first hour or two though.

Anyway in the absence of a Deer bone is there somewhere in Australia to get a Deer bone or has any one a suggestion what to use in its place, a Roo bone perhaps ?

Yes, Double Monk definitely have them. I heard that the deerbone exudes an oil which gets taken up by the shell and nourishes it. No idea whether this is horseshit or not. I also bought a tub of Saphir Cordovan cream from them.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW somewhere on YouTube there's a vid of some guy waxing lyrical over his shell cordovan shoes while fiddling with his dear bone.

Johknee

Reaction score
So I bought a pair of Supergas this week as Converse / Vans don't sell in half sizes. I ordered the wrong size and will have to return them. No biggie.

Out of curiosity, I had a browse of the US sites and apparently both Vans and Converse stock half sizes, they're just not sold on their websites, Asos, Hype, or Platypus.

It makes me wonder - did these brands make an executive decision that Australian feet don't come in half sizes? Funny they can charge $200+ for some dead stock Lacoste but can't justify ordering in half sizes.

I own several pairs of Vans in US10.5. Two pairs for $100.00 at Paul's Warehouse.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or is this the ugliest Pitti yet in terms of blogger's photos of those standing around outside? I saw a guy with playing cards as a pocket square. Even a year ago the #pitti was relatively good, now it's filled with GQ'esque selfies etc. I usually like it because we at least get to see some classically dressed guys, but I haven't seen to much of that at all this time.

I think it's more like your taste in menswear is probably improving and you are better able to see some of the faux-dandyism for what it really is - tasteless look-at-me peacockry.

However, there's plenty of good stuff there too this year. Here are a few that caught my jaundiced eye (I recommend you click on them to expand to gallery view):

Admittedly I needed to sort through a lot of blogged photos to assemble this little gallery, and my taste might in any case be quite at variance with yours. (For instance, I like fedoras.)

But there are some well-tailored clothes here, with imaginative use of colour and texture.

Remember also that photobloggers tend to snap the most eye-catching fits, good or bad. I'm sure there are a lot of sharply-outfitted men at Pitti who fly under the radar.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well. The only two blokes I know from Melbourne who were going to Pitti, have both had their photos snapped by main stream ish media. And I think one now owes me a beer. I won the bet.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I got new shoes. Crockett & Jones Belgrave in black calf. They are very nice shoes, but I wish that I had no reason for them at all. They'll first be worn at the funeral of my beloved little sister Nikita. I can only hope to wear them in better times afterwards. She died tragically last Friday and my life will never be the same. Her story ran in yesterday's and today's Age newspaper in Melbourne and you can read it below.

Gilmour

Reaction score
Yes, Double Monk definitely have them. I heard that the deerbone exudes an oil which gets taken up by the shell and nourishes it. No idea whether this is horseshit or not. I also bought a tub of Saphir Cordovan cream from them.
Thanks for that, I think I am too curious to not try the bone, I have the Saphir Cordovan cream and some renovateur.
Is that what they mean by getting a boner?
LOL

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today I got new shoes. Crockett & Jones Belgrave in black calf. They are very nice shoes, but I wish that I had no reason for them at all. They'll first be worn at the funeral of my beloved little sister Nikita. I can only hope to wear them in better times afterwards. She died tragically last Friday and my life will never be the same. Her story ran in yesterday's and today's Age newspaper in Melbourne and you can read it below.

Mate I was absolutely shocked to read this the other day. I'm not a religious man so can't offer any prayers or godly words of wisdom so I will just say sorry for your loss and my thoughts are with you and your family.

npvpositive

Reaction score
Was in Hong Kong last week so of course had to do a little shopping.

Among other things, ordered three shirts from Ascot Chang which in hindsight I think was a mistake. Now that I've bothered to translate the HK price into Aussie dollars I'm pretty sure I paid materially more (pardon the pun) than Ascot charge during their Aussie trunk show . . . bugger. Anyone know how the HK versus local prices compare?

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It was shocking to find out about this and you have my deepest condolences, TBM. You wrote a beautiful tribute to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members