• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SS does tweed from memory though their styling may offend those with more conservative tastes in tweed given that their tweed jackets have the appearance of being too fussy as opposed to being degage (which I suspect is part of the traditional appeal of the tweed jacket) .

I think you're confusing Suit Supply with Suit Shop (what Oli was referring too)

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If you guys are interested in tweeds I'll send over a book from PJohnson we can cut lengths and use in Suit Shop. Rarely gets requested given they wear warm

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MJB have started modelling their jackets so short that it's obscene:

http://www.mjbale.com/catalog/product/view/id/23102/s/morley-stone-jacket/

The waistcoat is almost worse, and is just a pretty horrible garment all round.

The brand seems to have lost its way.

Liber

Reaction score
Hideous. Peak lapels? Pants are too slim too. Nothing looks right, surely someone is taking the piss.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't really blame them for marketing to the younger crowd which prefer slim clothes and short jackets that being said this isn't representative of their full brand any more than the shorts + suit outfit from last years summer campaign was. Whilst some of their marketing is directed to that crowd doesnt mean all of it is and a lot of their range still does includes plenty of classic pieces and classic fittings,

That being said if I get another saying sale reductions and I go to look and don't see any price changes im going to email the owner who kindly put his email address to their last blog update.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone that wanted an MTM popover shirt best PM me

Liber

Reaction score
TFW you get hit with $7k worth of real estate related bills right before your first trip to Melbourne to do some eating/ shopping. :(

herringbonePete

Reaction score
Happy New Year Fellas
I am back from my Christmas break which saw us in Mexico City.

My wife met me at the airport and loved the blue polka-dot pocket square - thanks FXH! It added a bit of panache to the first class seat
I had scored, ok, been obliged to paid for, on the leg from the US.

My first port of call was Suit Supply where I got myself sized up - overall I was impressed but the price
was not particularly competitive compared to the US price. I also thought a lot of the material actually quite heavy and coarse. The sizings seem to run to form, perhaps
half a size down.

We also visited one of Mexico's well known shirt-makers and I found a range of cotton shirts for about 40 dollars - their fits were perhaps more fitted than those found in the Anglosphere, and one shirt perhaps snug in the collar was near perfect elsewhere. My wife and I were there for so long struggling with Spanish I felt duty bound to look at the custom shirts.
I picked through some swatch books and I was measured and ordered for a shirt - all up 140 dollars. If it works out, I will use it as a template for Luxuire. They persuaded me to go for a fused collar - an unfused collar is a thing to be pitied outside London and parts of Italy it seemed. (At this point, my wife was rolling her eyes and looking bored).

I also got 3 wool knit ties, black, burgundy and blue for $15 dollars each. Absolutely serviceable.

In a street market in San Angel I found Mexico's artisanal base well alive - leather and metal-working : I picked up a beautiful brown leather notebook satchel, with magnetic catches for about $90 dollars and the seller discounted the price further when we realised that we had not enough change for our metro tickets home! A stunning example.
At the same place, I got 2 leather belts for $50 - both adjusted and cut whilst I waited.

In the New Year, I trawled the department stores. The look is absolutely 'Italian prep' and there are some fine examples of workmanship. The quality is above that found in the 'Italian-inspired' stores in Melbourne. First off, you can find suits made in Mexico and not in China : taking advantage of the sales - I got 2 wool 'Italian' suits for $350 (one wool suit was literally $110 after discount). Single center vent (don't mind that), bit of padding in the shoulder - both barely needed altering apart from trousers hemmed.

In another store, I got a lightweight cream/straw wool suit for $90 : ideal for backyard/property summer weddings. Lapels a fraction slim, but again, noone will notice after a drink or two.
They threw in a shirt and tie which to be honest, I think I will lose..

I also visited a tailor - $1,000 gets you bespoke - 2 fittings.

Finally I got a Panama Hat - or a hat of similar design worn by men in the Yucatan Peninsula : I swapped it for an Akruba I had taken with me.

What's up for this year?

No more shoes, like Oli, my approach to it all now sees me with:
1 Brown RMs
1 Brown Suede Chukkas (will replace with suede RM when required)
1 Brown Suede Half-Brogue (possibly my favourite brogue style)
1 Brown Leather Brogue

1 Black toecap
1 Black RM

I'd like to get a burgundy crewneck for winter, and pick up another linen shirt, shorts and polos from Uniqlo.
That's it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics