• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arch3r

Reaction score
What a waste of money... It doesn't take much to look good. black shirt black tie I think takes the cake.... Just no.

As for CK, this is why he can't command the same prices as RL.

Reynolds

Reaction score
I often dread Derby Day and the Melbourne Cup as newspaper websites typically provide a series of galleries with lots of photos of terribly dressed people.

Clearly, I'm a sucker for punishment as I know that the outfits will generally be awful but I still can't resist clicking on them.

My goodness, Journeyman - are you me?

I held these exact feelings upon finding this article this morning:

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/photos/buy/1062133/

This is what qualified as "best dressed" last year...

RKLan

Reaction score
Hi all, another long time reader here.

Just walked by Henry Bucks here in Adelaide and saw they were having a (decent?) sale in store. Didn't have time to really look properly but signs indicated that you could take 50% off already on sale merchandise, only had time to see tie prices: yellow sticker down to ~$75 (from ~115?) before other discount? Not sure which items are/aren't but there were quite a few yellow tags around from my quick look.

Not sure the extent to which this applies to other stores around the country so ymmv. Maybe if someone has time to visit they could provide better details?

Don't believe I have seen this posted on here as yet.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must say foxy you always look good in the flesh. Photos aren't always the best way to judge.
Thankyou very much.

But that's a cord jacket isn't it? So you get a free pass almost. Just don't do it up. And crumple it a bit more.
Yeah, it is cord. I don't feel as though my fit on Tuesday(in spoiler) was that great as I'm not sure that the cord jacket is congruous with grey trousers.

Welcome to the forum, RKLan.

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, corduroy jackets present a challenge for me. My gut feel is go with a heavier pair of chinos and some suede chukka boots or scotchgrain brogues.

Those grey trousers and black shoes seem a little too refined for me - I reckon if you swapped out the grey trousers for heavish khaki chinos and the boots for your LWBs, it would look ace.

That jacket and OCBD are great.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
posted me in jeans before... i rarely wear jeans but i think if you want to make it work in a casual way such as linen coat, long sleeve polo, it needs to look quite casual overall - Im with gerry and not loving that tie/denim combo.

Johknee

Reaction score
It's probably from Drake's of London's Tumblr - Drake's Diary:

http://drakes-diary.tumblr.com/

The jackets can probably be found in their store:

http://www.drakes.com/online-shop/outerwear
Thanks JM. I checked Drake's online store earlier and found a brown wool jacket but, I'm not sure it's the jacket from the original post. Also, 895 GBP is a little out of my price range.

On that note, any suggestions where I could pick up a jacket similar this?
I've been wanting something similar for a while. Approached a couple of MTM business and was told to consider grey rather than brown. I'd like it it to be; brown, heavy-weight fabric, patch pockets, soft shoulders/unstructured.

Thanks!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Johknee,

It looks like a tweed of some kind. You should be able to get an olive or brown tweed jacket from a variety of places, particularly from UK sellers. Try having a look at Charles Tyrwhitt, TM Lewin or various other UK businesses.

Actually, thinking of it, you'll probably have to go MTM if you want patch pockets (unless you're willing to buy from Drake's) as most UK places that I can think of would only sell jackets with flapped pockets, not patch pockets.

I would have thought that most MTM places should have access to some brown or olive tweed as well as grey tweed. I know that Rene from Deer Style in Brisbane certainly does and it shouldn't be uncommon.

Alternatively, if you can find an MTM place that will accept CMT orders (ie orders where you supply the cloth and they cut it and make the jacket for you), you could order your own brown tweed fabric from somewhere such as eBay or another fabric supplier:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-PURE-...MADE-IN-SCOTLAND-BY-Reid-Taylor-/321244427435

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-PURE-...MADE-IN-SCOTLAND-BY-Reid-Taylor-/321244431306

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Light-Bro...uiting-Fabric-Length-2-50-Metre-/111236580737

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Looks good - I didn't realise that Erik had his store up and running as yet.

I'll have to have a look at their offerings.

Alas - I just realised that both the single-breasted and the double-breasted jacket are single-vented (which is quite unusual for a DB jacket in particular).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads