• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSurg

Reaction score
Guys, re: Uniqlo blazer

Construction for 80 bucks is hard to beat. No canvas, pretty nice fabric, centre vent tho, fake cuffs, plastic buttons, fake lapel hole. I am normally a 34/36 short (44 italian) and XS fit pretty well although I would probably need to shorten the cuffs.

After much thought, I'm probably going to return it and go PJ or BnT lol...

Keeping one linen shirt tho, the beige one for weekends.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cold enough here already for it. Too big for me though I need a new one next year.

Sam can probably make it fit you - with a chainsaw. :)

Awesome day at the op shop. Apart from that Belvest, a BB suit (which I found as separated jacket and pants) and some nice conservative business shirts from BB, Michael Kors, Tasso Elba and Harry & Sons (these are mostly for WFS).

In a $2 tie bucket I found: Zegna Napoli Couture, E. Marinella, Tino Cosma 7-fold, Paul Smith, T.M. Lewin and a NWT Etro still in cellophane.

I also found a full bottle of a vintage Lancome perfume. Hoping like hell it’s not a fake.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah its Agyesh.. Didn't see the shipping cost either!

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** yeah $400 hat

:/

lukejackson

Reaction score
Guys, got my deer style shirt and trousers. Couldn't be happier, though I wish the pleat was deeper on the trousers and would go for a heavier wool next time around.
[/IMG] very impressed with the fit given it's the first crack at it. Price is pretty amazing to given it is mtm. Rene is a lovely guy too.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Looks good Mr Jackson.

City-slicking-suit-wearing iGents - I have two queries for you.

Firstly, I've got a jacket which has developed a tear just south of the left shoulder - the jacket and pants are otherwise fine - but I need someone to basically patchwork a strip of fabric to mend the tear, or do some sort of invisible stitching. It's linen in navy and would be a good summer staple for when Melb gets ridiculously hot over summer and I'm stuck on a sweltering train.

Would old m8 Sam be the best to do this - or does anyone know of a really high end alterationist?

Secondly - suiting in summer in corporate offices - what's the dealio? I presume average joe wears his black poly suit day in day out, but for an iGent, is linen a faux-pas for conservative corporate environments (consulting firms, big 4, etc). I have a quarter lined, probably fresco, RJ suit, a navy patch pocket linen suit, and a few year-round wool suits, but compared to my winter rotation, summer is lacking.

Is odd trousers/linen sports coats acceptable, or considered too trendy for conservative environments? That combo would give me much more versatility.

I'm really hoping we have some consultants to make a change from all the bloody lawyers here, so they can shed some advice!

Cheers!

suttonzach

Reaction score

Looks good Mr Jackson.

Firstly, I've got a jacket which has developed a tear just south of the left shoulder - the jacket and pants are otherwise fine - but I need someone to basically patchwork a strip of fabric to mend the tear, or do some sort of invisible stitching. It's linen in navy and would be a good summer staple for when Melb gets ridiculously hot over summer and I'm stuck on a sweltering train. 

Would old m8 Sam be the best to do this - or does anyone know of a really high end alterationist? 

Secondly - suiting in summer in corporate offices - what's the dealio? I presume average joe wears his black poly suit day in day out, but for an iGent, is linen a faux-pas for conservative corporate environments (consulting firms, big 4, etc). I have a quarter lined, probably fresco, RJ suit, a navy patch pocket linen suit, and a few year-round wool suits, but compared to my winter rotation, summer is lacking. 

Is odd trousers/linen sports coats acceptable, or considered too trendy for conservative environments? That combo would give me much more versatility. 

I'm really hoping we have some consultants to make a change from all the bloody lawyers here, so they can shed some advice!

Cheers!

As a (former) consultant I would say that there's a lot more opportunity to be adventurous when one is working in the office than on a client site and therefore one's work location typically dictates the level of formality (or lack thereof) for the day in most cases.

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks good Mr Jackson.

Cheers!

Just cultivate a bit of stubble and tell the clients what they want to hear and you'll do fine.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, got my deer style shirt and trousers. Couldn't be happier, though I wish the pleat was deeper on the trousers and would go for a heavier wool next time around.
very impressed with the fit given it's the first crack at it. Price is pretty amazing to given it is mtm. Rene is a lovely guy too.

Great to see and yes, Rene is a lovely guy.

You can specify the pleat depth if you want the pleats to be deeper. I usually ask for a deep, single reverse pleat on my odd trousers.

crappbag

Reaction score

As a (former) consultant I would say that there's a lot more opportunity to be adventurous when one is working in the office than on a client site and therefore one's work location typically dictates the level of formality (or lack thereof) for the day in most cases.

This is correct. The unspoken rule is to dress the level of formality or perceived formality for your client. This may vary depending on who you're working with on a given day as well (eg meeting with senior exec vs middle management)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members