• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSurg

Reaction score
Congrats, Pinky. Now be prepared for your house budget to absorb your clothing budget. I haven't bought a single thing since late April... but instead, had to hire electrician, plumber, buy new beds, get curtains. Still, loving it.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With brown shoes though?

What a trailblazer.

Trailblazer in a blazer.

Congrats, Pinky. Now be prepared for your house budget to absorb your clothing budget. I haven't bought a single thing since late April... but instead, had to hire electrician, plumber, buy new beds, get curtains. Still, loving it.

Yes, I think this might be the case. Happy enough if it is. House is in reasonable nick so hopefully it will not need too much work to start with (bathroom and kitchen need to be redone in the long run but nothing urgent).

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brown it is. I will get brown (should Rob have it). 
Its only my experience - others have different ideas. One* of the reasons I like brown is it has so many different shades/tones and a few different browns let you mix and match all year round. AS in brown will mix with all the standards PLUS the dreaded Navy Trousers. But be careful a dark brown cord jacket doesn't work well in summer. Mid to light tan is the best all rounder.

* and ms fxh says things that match eye colour are flattering. I'm not convinced but.....

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The uniqlo suits look pretty decent.
Uniglo is decent enough stuff -especially for the $ - BUT - every* "classic" type jacket I have seen there was an extreme bum freezer plus most trousers are v low rise. Sadly as some of the unstructured jackets were ok in almost every other aspect and a great buy @ $140 or less.

* thats only here in the store - in .jp that wasn't so for 100% of stock.

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Brown it is. I will get brown (should Rob have it). 

Forget what the internet people say, get the jacket that will be most versatile for your wardrobe.

Fwiw light grey IMO is the most versatile blazer, more so than navy in many regards and definitely easier to wear than brown. Navy can be tricky with dark trousers, denim etc while light grey can be dressed from light beige, tans, brown, black, navy etc. I'd get a blazer weave rather than a plain weave that May look a bit lifeless and flat

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forget what the internet people say, get the jacket that will be most versatile for your wardrobe.

Fwiw light grey IMO is the most versatile blazer, more so than navy in many regards and definitely easier to wear than brown. Navy can be tricky with dark trousers, denim etc while light grey can be dressed from light beige, tans, brown, black, navy etc. I'd get a blazer weave rather than a plain weave that May look a bit lifeless and flat

What is most versatile clearly varies from person to person, as it depends on what they wear.

Whilst I like my grey odd jacket, I would only get such a jacket in a patterned weave, such as a herringbone weave, or with a very visible texture as otherwise it would look too much like a suit jacket.

If someone commonly wears grey trousers, then a grey jacket isn't going to be the most versatile as, unless the trousers are quite a deep charcoal, I think that a grey jacket and grey trousers look too much like a mis-matched suit. Grey goes very well with navy and can also go well with darker shades of brown, but I don't think that it complements beige/tan/light brown trousers. So, if Oli likes to wear beige or tan chinos and grey odd trousers, then I think that he'd get much more use out of a brown jacket than he would out of a grey jacket, as brown goes with grey, navy, blue and beige trousers.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
yup this will strike much debate im sure and dependent on the individuals wardrobe and style. JM is able to pull off browns with beige, i cant. I do like alot of cucinelli colour tones with grey, beige, navy, white and aubergine.

e.g. grey on grey on grey

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sunday morning polishing, had to move inside the garage due to heavy winds

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just quietly, does anyone want to buy a Zegna (mainline) grey flannel pinstripe DB? Would fit a slim 36 or maybe even a 34. Bought off the interwebs a few winters back, and I have given up on losing enough weight to fit it comfortably.

PM me if you're interested, I can send some pics/measurements...

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sent a few emails back and forth with Henry Bucks. Sounds like they should be able to fix it for around $50. Unfortunately it's all done in Sydney and could take 4 or 5 weeks. Better to be dry for the second half of winter than not at all though I guess.

OR you could buy a new umbrella.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads