• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSurg

Reaction score
The only other SF debacles I remember include Ambrosi heckling Foo and Solito being MIA (but he was unwell).

ovlov

Reaction score
Yeah. he wasn;t specific. Just said every couple of years someone comes along and causes a debacle like this and screws a bunch of people.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys clearly never head into SW&D. The woodyear incident was much funnier than this.

ovlov

Reaction score
You guys clearly never head into SW&D. The woodyear incident was much funnier than this.
Do tell
lurker[1].gif

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Passaggio saga is escalating even further. C&A is way more sophisticated than the other troll (I forget his name). Poor old Gianni is getting a right royal slamming now.

It's one thing to have your reputation randomly libelled by some anonymous troll with an agenda. (This has happened to me BTW - water off a duck's back.) But when dozens start crawling out of the woodwork and a pattern begins to emerge...that's different.

The power of the internet. In China, they call this phenomenon the "human flesh search engine". I can't help but feel sorry for Gianni right now. On the other hand...

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Passaggio saga is escalating even further. C&A is way more sophisticated than the other troll (I forget his name). Poor old Gianni is getting a right royal slamming now.

It's one thing to have your reputation randomly libelled by some anonymous troll with an agenda. (This has happened to me BTW - water off a duck's back.) But when dozens start crawling out of the woodwork and a pattern begins to emerge...that's different.

The power of the internet. In China, they call this phenomenon the "human flesh search engine". I can't help but feel sorry for Gianni right now. On the other hand...

Why feel sorry for a person who has been lying and stealing?

Oh right, Australia is a former penal colony.

C&A

Reaction score

The other troll being Sartodinapoli?

I think almost anyone here on this forum is more subtle and sophisticated than him, so that's no real achievement in my books. Maybe we have a totally different definition of troll, but it triggered me. Unlike Sartodinapoli I'm someone who met Gianni in person and spent quite a lot of money on ties that Gianni told me were made from vintage fabrics. I would have preferred Gianni to have addressed the matters heads on when they were raised about 10 days ago in his thread. I have not posted in his thread for about 10 days. In the meantime another thread got axed for unclear reasons, questions remained unanswered and members siding with #TeamGianni even seemed to feel the need to actually discredit the alligations and the members who made them (including myself).

I think this post pretty much sums it all up.

When the controversy began, there were many posts that seemed more personal than objective, which were generally dismissed by members. However, when C&A posted here and in the inkjet thread that was subsequently eliminated, he raised points without ranting or making personal attacks on Gianni that should cause anyone with a modicum of intelligence to take pause, reflect and ask questions, including: vintage versus inkjet reproductions; confusion over fabrics (English versus Italian provenance); missing Cappelli fabrics appearing for sale. He referenced experts and did not claim to be one himself. Others did the same. A mod asked for answers and yet nothing appeared from Gianni to counter these claims. Maybe he answered the mods privately but there is no indication of that in this or any other thread including the transparent moderation thread.

If you came to this thread to learn about ties, it should be clear that there is no learning to be had. There are other threads where more meaningful discussion occurs. Save for this controversy, this is a thread for a SF vendor to bring attention to his products. He pays SF for that privilege. Does SF have any responsibility for what the vendor sells to members or is it strictly buyer beware? I don't have an answer for that.

This is about objectivity. Having been a client of Gianni's, I initially dismissed these allegations. But I am in no way satisfied with the lack of answers being provided to refute the allegations either. I will happily send my vintage Passaggionsilk print ties with the white backsides to an expert to even undergo destructive testing if it provides a definitive answer.

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I have only ventured to three or four styleforum threads other than this one in the past year. Luxire, Henry Carter, Allen Edmonds... maybe one about gloves.

Having said that, I'm becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the fact that that 40 or so other men in Australia and around the world might be wearing one of my HC ties...

....what if we were to pass within 50ft of each other one day while wearing the same tie? It'd cause a scene.

Last edited:

Thanasi

Reaction score
I'm in San Francisco at the moment and looking for must-go shopping places. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads