• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiva

Reaction score
Azif

As a runner, I have been a convert to the Nike Free range for about two years now. From Kayanos, etc. If you are used to them great, but if you are not the low heel profile stretches the calf and takes some getting used to.

For aesthetics when travelling, it depends on your age and the look you are after. Wearing cargo shorts and runners in Europe will immediately mark you out as a traveller/tourist. And for comfort, they aren't necessarily the best option for old cities and cobblestones.

In Europe I wear mine only when running. There are better options - depending on what you intend to wear on the rest of your body. Generally something sturdier is better. Quite what depends on what you like, but if you go to a good travel shoe store they will have recommendations.

Having said all that, after much trial and error I wear a certain type of Ecco chukkas for that purpose, so I'm probably not the most stylish advisor.

Regards
Stiva

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you buy ? Best price on the net on this beauty. Wasn't keen on getting second navy bag but price was just too sweet.

so far i've resisted. the money is being put towards my Vass commission!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Azif

As a runner, I have been a convert to the Nike Free range for about two years now. From Kayanos, etc. If you are used to them great, but if you are not the low heel profile stretches the calf and takes some getting used to.

For aesthetics when travelling, it depends on your age and the look you are after. Wearing cargo shorts and runners in Europe will immediately mark you out as a traveller/tourist. And for comfort, they aren't necessarily the best option for old cities and cobblestones.

In Europe I wear mine only when running. There are better options - depending on what you intend to wear on the rest of your body. Generally something sturdier is better. Quite what depends on what you like, but if you go to a good travel shoe store they will have recommendations.

Having said all that, after much trial and error I wear a certain type of Ecco chukkas for that purpose, so I'm probably not the most stylish advisor.

Regards
Stiva

+1 on the bolded part. I used to wear a pair of leather Scarpa whole-cut hiking boots a lot when travelling but now I tend to wear old-skool sneakers. I have worn some minimalist sneakers when travelling in the past but if I was doing a lot of walking I found that my feet were quite tired/sore at the end of the day and so now I generally wear shoes with a bit more padding/support in the soles.

iSurg

Reaction score
Tip: Buy in Europe. Sweet kicks to be had (Hogan, etc.)

Only 3 votes for TBM to match TTO! Come on!!

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

beard game is strong!

PS I have some leftover 3-sixteen denim i need to get rid of. Brand new with tags, unworn.

SL100x in size 28 (runs big 1 size e.g. its probably good for a 29waist)

CS-100X (vintage Levi 47 cut) in sizes 33 and 34. (also need to size down 1-2 sizes i.e. 34-36)

$100 a pair plus postage. PM me.

Might jump on the CS100x in 33; if I don't PM you by tomorrow night....wife will have said no :( Probably not a good idea to have more than one pair of jawnz at a time.
EDIT: Votes TBM very nice fit!

Last edited:

azif

Reaction score

+1 on the bolded part. I used to wear a pair of leather Scarpa whole-cut hiking boots a lot when travelling but now I tend to wear old-skool sneakers. I have worn some minimalist sneakers when travelling in the past but if I was doing a lot of walking I found that my feet were quite tired/sore at the end of the day and so now I generally wear shoes with a bit more padding/support in the soles.

Thanks to you and stiva for the replies

I run in old nike 3.0s and they took a while to get used to but seem quite comfortable now. Though maybe i should wear them for a whole day of walking and see how they feel. Last time i travelled in winter with a pair of mmm gat sneakers (flat sole and no support) and some hiking boots but found the sneakers uncomfortable for spending whole days walking around in so thought i'd try something different.

Aesthetic wise i'm mid 20s and going to be in button downs and tailored shorts / chinos most of the time. Most of my time will be spent going round the tourist sites and im part asian so i guess people figure me for a tourist anyway. Just after something comfortable that looks more like sneakers than a pair of runners (like my kayanos urgh..).

I guess if they were a bit dressier it wouldnt hurt, though I'm still not going to have a suit for the couple of times we go to somewhere with a star or two.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is it me or is it sold out?

edit: just found it.

That's the first filson I've seen that I've liked, tempting, tempting. Can see it as a good casual bag, I am sure in the past people have mentioned using these as work bags, I cant picture it myself. Nice work wear needs a nice leather bag.

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks to you and stiva for the replies

I run in old nike 3.0s and they took a while to get used to but seem quite comfortable now. Though maybe i should wear them for a whole day of walking and see how they feel. Last time i travelled in winter with a pair of mmm gat sneakers (flat sole and no support) and some hiking boots but found the sneakers uncomfortable for spending whole days walking around in so thought i'd try something different.

Aesthetic wise i'm mid 20s and going to be in button downs and tailored shorts / chinos most of the time. Most of my time will be spent going round the tourist sites and im part asian so i guess people figure me for a tourist anyway. Just after something comfortable that looks more like sneakers than a pair of runners (like my kayanos urgh..).

I guess if they were a bit dressier it wouldnt hurt, though I'm still not going to have a suit for the couple of times we go to somewhere with a star or two.

You could try out some sneakers with some extra padding like PF Flyers (pretty much converse with far better padding), or you could go with the running shoes worn casually look (I'm sure a cleaner pair would look fine).

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's the first filson I've seen that I've liked, tempting, tempting.  Can see it as a good casual bag, I am sure in the past people have mentioned using these as work bags, I cant picture it myself.  Nice work wear needs a nice leather bag.

Partly agree - leather briefcase with suit does look better in a formal way. But what canvas does is make a formal / business outfit look a bit less stiff . This bag will be my 4th work bag . I have 2 leather briefcases including a SAB. But 80% of the time I find myself carrying my canvas briefcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads