• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sure is.

Anyone else caught up on episode 6 of True Detective yet?

No I'm waiting for the replay at 8.30 thank you.

Mrs GF is in front of the box watching Girls at present.

Last edited:

blackers

Reaction score
on the satorial front I found that most peoples clothes fit a lot better here than in aus but I find aus is more colorful. everyone here still loves to wear black. Atlest 60% of people wear it. If you look past the sea of black and down jackets you can see a lot of unique/fashion forward people walking down the street.
What they do lack is hardware stores. I wanted to find more masks to take to xian but was unable to find a store.

I'm an Aussie living in HK. I agree that people dress well but conservatively here. You'll see a lot more tailored clothing than in Australia, and occasionally you'll see someone in a really well tailored but garish suit just doing their own thing. I passed a guy the other day who had a yellow checked English hunting outfit on, complete with hunting jacket, waistcoat, three quarter length knickerbockers, long socks and flat cap. All he needed was some hounds and a shotgun. It looked awesome but I couldn't wear that in a million years. I think it's a side effect of living in a town full of tailors who will make anything you ask them for.

Also note that this past week has been Hong Kong's coldest for years so everyone is breaking out their rarely worn winter clothes, that might be a reason for the conservativeness. Although I've noticed that tweed jackets are really popular here especially with middle aged Chinese men which is weird given that it's far too hot to wear tweed in HK for about 10 months of the year.

What kind of hardware were you after? HK has a lot of little hardware stores in places like Wan Chai and Soho. They are quite a sight, with a billion different items hanging from every part of the walls and roof. The proprietors don't generally speak English so you need to go armed with a photo of what you want on your phone.

boff

Reaction score
I posted a week or two back about perfume for blokes. A recent thing for me, never really got it in the past. The turning point was discovering all these niche makers, especially the ones that are concerned with quality ingredients and less or no chemicals. I cannot recommend Slumberhouse enough. The 'nose', a dude called Josh, has an uncanny ability. Really quite magic in a way. I have a bottle of Jeke and it's an 'extrait de parfum', which basically means it's oily not alcoholic. As such it has low sillage (the scent trail you leave behind as you walk), but great staying power. And it evolves all day.

My previous post here ->
I know there are a few perfumed ponces amongst us. A recent convert to the cause myself, I just took delivery of a bottle of Jeke by Slumberhouse. Holy McFuck! It is basically man in a bottle. Smells like Chuck Norris sitting in leather armchair by a bonfire drinking whisky and smoking a fat one.
Highly recommended. (esp. to TBM - I know what you smell like, having bought a suit off you.....)

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of an easy way to learn to sew? I'm happy to pay, but am actually pretty keen to learn.

Teaching myself the basics doesn't work for me, though once I've got a few things down I generally work on my own. There are a few teachers in Melbourne though they are either inaccessible (4 weeks in a row on weekdays), or expensive (maybe - at $60 an hour it'd depend how many lessons I needed).

Yes, FHX I will ask around, there might be some old FJ dudes who can help.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any real interest in perfume, and the fact that It's quite expensive isn't very inticing either. I don't wear it, but It's something I've wanted to do for a while. I'm trying to find a scent for me, that's a) Good Value for money b)lasts me a long while whilst wearing it )csmells good. Anyone wish to point me in the right direction.

jmills

Reaction score
Checked out the Brooks Brothers in Perth DJ's, quite intriguing. Lots of casual button down shirts, but all with single flap pocket, and apparently only available in one fit?

Seems the main focus is blazers and dress shirts. Some nice stuff, quite reasonable prices too. I think it will do well.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hart Bochner in Die Hard. One of the great overlooked comic performances of all time. He is just side-splittingly smarmy.

Actually it's a mystery to me how Bochner did not become a giant star in the same league as Brad Pitt or George Clooney. Check him out in Apartment Zero - another great performance. Then he just kind of fizzled. Went into directing. Who knows, maybe he got fat or something.

Last edited:

Stiva

Reaction score

I don't have any real interest in perfume, and the fact that It's quite expensive isn't very inticing either. I don't wear it, but It's something I've wanted to do for a while. I'm trying to find a scent for me, that's a) Good Value for money b)lasts me a long while whilst wearing it  )csmells good. Anyone wish to point me in the right direction.

Although it's mainstream, Bulgari Extreme is my favourite after limited experimentation. Long lasting with a predominately balsam tone. Distinctive without being overpowering, cloying or flowery. Apparently attractive to the female nose - or at least my wife's.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sure is.

Anyone else caught up on episode 6 of True Detective yet?

It has to be one of "the best things on TV in years" even better drama (albeit not as well dressed as) than House of Cards which is really Richard III but Robin Wright is a great Lady Macbeth very confusing.

herringbonePete

Reaction score
I can't see it in context - but some shirts used to have a bit you could strap under your crutch and button to keep shirt from riding up.
Perhaps @9" built for a small man - I'm at least 12" anytime - unless aroused.

Used by paratroopers on their smocks when jumping out of planes only most didn't bother using them!

CoffeeDudeGuy

Reaction score
I posted a week or two back about perfume for blokes. A recent thing for me, never really got it in the past. The turning point was discovering all these niche makers, especially the ones that are concerned with quality ingredients and less or no chemicals. I cannot recommend Slumberhouse enough. The 'nose', a dude called Josh, has an uncanny ability. Really quite magic in a way. I have a bottle of Jeke and it's an 'extrait de parfum', which basically means it's oily not alcoholic. As such it has low sillage (the scent trail you leave behind as you walk), but great staying power. And it evolves all day.

My previous post here ->

Hmm, missed that one somehow, will check it out. Do you know of stores that stock it so we can test it?

I don't have any real interest in perfume, and the fact that It's quite expensive isn't very inticing either. I don't wear it, but It's something I've wanted to do for a while. I'm trying to find a scent for me, that's a) Good Value for money b)lasts me a long while whilst wearing it )csmells good. Anyone wish to point me in the right direction.

Get at least two initially, one for warmer weather/daytime, and one for cooler/night time. Scents for winter/night might be too strong for warmer weather, and the lighter scents will just disappear when it gets cooler. It's like vodka for summer, scotch for winter, or something like that.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i think you should invest in perfume. a good one can turn a woman's head your way and have her notice you before even seeing you. that presence is priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads