• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed it was, and still is.

The only trousers/shoes/socks combo pic I have is below.

Sorry in advance for being a prat.

But the brown suit goes well with navy socks, black captoes - the brown has a blue PoW check through it, so it isn't as in your face as a chocolate brown would be. I see chocolate brown suits as very "italian" for want of a better term.

suitsupply?

TimelessMan

Reaction score
Agreed - great fitting shirt, would also like to know details.

It's bespoke. I think it was the first shirt I ever had made bespoke actually.
It was made by a tailor in Canberra, of all places. Kim Tran.
If it helps, the cloth is Acorn, Balmoral (a really nice and comfortable weave if you have the chance to get some) in Plain Sky: http://www.acornfabrics.com/fabrics/balmoral-plain-sky

Thanks to everyone else for all the positive comments, it's great to have such a positive response.

Andrew.

Tenance

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about wool for knitting, what's the best out there and how do I get it? I love cable and aran knit sweaters, but most seem to fit me pretty terribly. Mum's going to knit one, and I'm in the process of trying to find what's the best wool. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

The wool used in the Inverallan MTO is available as "Kilcarra" wool on ebay. But the colours have different names:
4644 Portnoo is 4644 Wine Red
4742 Ballyliffen is 4742 Warm Grey
etc

Buying enough to make a sweater will get pretty expensive unless you can find a cheaper source.

logiclusion

Reaction score

For those who are interested...

I hadn't otherwise intended on actually posting anything for a while, but if showing some additional love betters our chance of getting more top-notch write-ups like this, I reckon it's worth a premature pop of the cherry.

TimelessMan

Reaction score
I hadn't otherwise intended on actually posting anything for a while, but if showing some additional love betters our chance of getting more top-notch write-ups like this, I reckon it's worth a premature pop of the cherry.

Haha, thanks! I'm glad I could be your first.

Comments in the blog or questions there are always welcome too. I'm sure I'll sometimes leave out small things that people might like to know.

Last edited:

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed it was, and still is.

The only trousers/shoes/socks combo pic I have is below.

Sorry in advance for being a prat.

But the brown suit goes well with navy socks, black captoes - the brown has a blue PoW check through it, so it isn't as in your face as a chocolate brown would be. I see chocolate brown suits as very "italian" for want of a better term.

Can only make out a hint of cuff!

I'm getting a brown sports jacket made up this winter for bumming around the office - hopefully in something light so I can wear it in the summer too.

Still don't feel its as conservative business dress as navy/grey is, though.

So the Myer-DJ proposed merger brouhaha seems to have claimed a few scalps.

Interesting to watch. DJs seems to be under enormous pressure.

I still can't understand why they merged. Despite their claims of being under international pressure its not obvious in the market where they're the only major department stores.

Last edited:

jmills

Reaction score
Did the merger even get clearance from the ACCC? Surely it has competition problems written all over it. There are no other major department stores, and who is going to successfully enter the struggling retail market in the foreseeable future? The only other competitors are small boutiques, direct retailers, online stores etc, not to mention the problems with brand loyalty ...

Last edited:

ovlov

Reaction score
Quick callout guys to anyone interested in Tom Ford Fragrances. I was trying to line up a decant of Tobacco Vanille through a split purchase by RedDevil (http://www.styleforum.net/t/351904/tom-ford-private-blend-creed-and-amouage-fragrances). Unfortunately a couple buyers fell through so looking for more. I was hoping to get this in time for the wedding so thought I'd spruik it a bit on here in case anyone was interested. Praces are way better than trying to actually pick it up here in Aus. I recall some guys discussing doing this a few months back though I can't recall if anything came of it.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Did the merger even get clearance from the ACCC? Surely it has competition problems written all over it. There are no other major department stores, and who is going to successfully enter the struggling retail market in the foreseeable future? The only other competitors are small boutiques, direct retailers, online stores etc, not to mention the problems with brand loyalty ...

It's not at that stage yet however it depends on how the ACCC defines the market. If it uses ABS department store sales data then des/myr combined are less than 50% of the market as it includes the discount dept stores Kmart, target and big w.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads